Logging food is so tedious and awful...

Options
Ive been logging my food off and on for almost a year now. Ive lost a considerable amount of weight (about 75lbs), but have hit the dreaded plateau. Ive made some significant changes in my diet, and have exercised 6 days a week since last March (so not much change there). I know I need to eat less, and with more nutrients, and I know the way to hold myself accountable is to actually LOOK at what Im eating. How do you make it easy, and less time consuming? I thought about just writing what I eat during the day on paper and logging it at the end of the day. What is the least time consuming way for you all? I still have about 130 lbs to lose, and Im certain these pounds aren't going to come off as easy as the first....thoughts?

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone with the app? Honestly, I don't know how people do it without the app. When I'm cooking something complicated, it's nice to be able to scan the barcode and add the amounts as I go.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Do you have the MFP phone app?

I really don't find it takes me much time at all. Do you eat really different foods everyday? Most people eat a lot of the same foods a lot of the time so the entries are mostly there in the recent list....I'm confused as to why it would take so much effort after a year.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It's really a matter of just doing it. Once you make it a habit, it won't be so bad. I have taken to pre-logging my day and then adjusting as needed. Change your attitude from "this is awful" to "this isn't so bad" and finally "this is a happy norm."

You are obviously determined, now GO FOR IT :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Logging's a huge pain but I do it (like flossing) b/c it's good for me.

Try prelogging in the morning. It has the added benefit of giving you a roadmap to follow for the day. No chance for bad choices.

(You are using the frequent & recent lists, right? They speed things up a lot.)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i usually pre log my food the day before so I can see how my calorie and macros look.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I log it as I go along.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I pre log a few days ahead.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I eat the same things pretty much, so it goes quick for me. If you have the app on your smartphone, you can scan barcode labels. Makes it really quick and easy!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Ive been logging my food off and on for almost a year now. Ive lost a considerable amount of weight (about 75lbs), but have hit the dreaded plateau. Ive made some significant changes in my diet, and have exercised 6 days a week since last March (so not much change there). I know I need to eat less, and with more nutrients, and I know the way to hold myself accountable is to actually LOOK at what Im eating. How do you make it easy, and less time consuming? I thought about just writing what I eat during the day on paper and logging it at the end of the day. What is the least time consuming way for you all? I still have about 130 lbs to lose, and Im certain these pounds aren't going to come off as easy as the first....thoughts?

I have been logging each day since April 10th, 2013. It has never bothered me and now is a 5-minute routine just like brushing my teeth, or washing my hair. No big deal, especially since it has kept me on the straight & narrow and I have lost 45 pounds so far. I don't have any apps and don't miss them....
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my food, usually days in advance before I go food shopping, but sometimes in the morning. I usually make any changes on my app throughout the day. If you don't have access to the app, you can just make changes when you get home.
  • GEMMA_2014
    Options
    Logging in food has worked for you so I would encourage you to keep it up. It is worth the effort.
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging after 6 mos. You get a feel for how much you can eat and what you need to burn. Most of my meals are quite similar and so I only use the app if I encounter something different.

Also, if you hit a plateau, and think you need to lose more, the most common cause is all that weight you lost lowered your TDEE. So you need to readjust.

Another trick is a day in which you deliberately exceed your tdee by a few hundred cals.
  • abbyjcpc
    abbyjcpc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do actually eat very different foods each day. I use the list of foods I regularly eat, yes. How do you log foods that are homemade? I made turkey chili today and know the ingredients, but really, I have no idea how much of each I ate. I spent 20 minutes online trying to figure out how many calories are in the recipe I used. I agree that I need to change my attitude around it. If its something I want to do from now on, I better start enjoying it. Just trying to figure out the tricks to get there. I like the pre logging each day. Ill try that!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Going to chime in on the app. Scanning barcodes is awesome.

You know, there's nothing wrong with taking a day or three off from logging. Just eat what you would eat if you were logging (portion as best as you can, estimate it in your head) and get back to it after your mini-vacation.

Don't quit, though. You got this!
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone with the app? Honestly, I don't know how people do it without the app. When I'm cooking something complicated, it's nice to be able to scan the barcode and add the amounts as I go.

+1 The app is awesome and saves a lot of time! LOVE the bar code scanner when I'm cooking or eating something different. So much quicker/easier than the search function.
  • katieefranc0
    Options
    I agree...I use the app, and it just drags me down. I stopped using it, and tried Calorie Count for a bit, and then got a new account on here. I hate it. I don't even know why I do it half the time. I lost weight and I was healthy before without the calorie counting crap. But every time I try to not log I get so guilty :/
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options

use the app and multiselect. It also looks like you are consistent and habitual with your eating ways so the app has pre-recorded entries.

To achieve results you need to shock your body considerably not be monotonous with your routine.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I do actually eat very different foods each day. I use the list of foods I regularly eat, yes. How do you log foods that are homemade? I made turkey chili today and know the ingredients, but really, I have no idea how much of each I ate. I spent 20 minutes online trying to figure out how many calories are in the recipe I used. I agree that I need to change my attitude around it. If its something I want to do from now on, I better start enjoying it. Just trying to figure out the tricks to get there. I like the pre logging each day. Ill try that!

Since I've been logging I'm a little pickier about the recipes I cook from. I like to use recipes from skinnytaste.com bc they have all nutrition information with the recipe. AND... I'm clearly not the only one who likes their recipes, I've already found several already in MFP's database.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I prelog and prepare my food the day before. I find if I have everything ready to go, snacks measured and bagged, meals ready to heat up, I'm much more likely to stick to it. If I have to prepare my meal when I'm already hungry for it, I'm bound to overdue it.
  • Misty2024
    Misty2024 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I log my breakfast when I'm resting and drinking my water from my morning workout..my lunch I either enter in while I'm making it or when I'm sitting down eating it..dinner I log as I'm making it...or if I'm going out to eat I look up the menu online and enter it before I even go to the restaurant. It's all habit more you do the easier it is...good luck