Why is my calorie goal so high?

Options
I entered all my stats, and my desired weight loss rate (1 lb per week). My calorie goal is 2500, which seems crazy high to me, but sadly, I'm having a hard time even staying under it (I'm ALWAYS HUNGRY!) My daily deficit is anywhere from 300-400 calories.

Can anyone give me any insight on this? Am I doing this all wrong?

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What's your height and weight?
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I entered all my stats, and my desired weight loss rate (1 lb per week). My calorie goal is 2500, which seems crazy high to me, but sadly, I'm having a hard time even staying under it (I'm ALWAYS HUNGRY!) My daily deficit is anywhere from 300-400 calories.

Can anyone give me any insight on this? Am I doing this all wrong?

The goal of 2500 cals is what you need to hit to meet your target of 1 lb per week. If you are really going an additional 300 - 400 cals below that target, you're targeting more than 1.5 lbs per week. Eat 2500 cals and see where it takes you.
  • princessofmilk
    Options
    If you're always hungry you need to change the way you eat. Eating things that aren't processed (such as fruit, veg, beans, pulses and lean meat) will bulk out your diet but be less calories. While carbs are not bad, stick to less processed carbs such as brown rice, wholegrain bread etc.

Replacing some meat in a meal with chickpeas (or other pulses) reduces the calorie count but not the density of the meal. Fill your plate up with veggies (cover them in spices if you aren't fond of the taste). Drink a glass of water with each meal and drink tea or water throughout the day to keep you full.

You could also exercise more to give you some extra calories if you still feel hungry. Hope this helps!
  • GreatGreenSea
    GreatGreenSea Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What's your height and weight?

I'm 5'9", and I think I weigh 300 lbs or slightly less. I don't know what my BMI is but I do know I carry a lot of muscle.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Well your body burns about 2600 calories through normal sedentary daily activity. Add exercise on top of that, and 2500 calories a day is probably a reasonable, if high, calorie goal. With so much weight to lose I'd shoot for a larger calorie deficit and make the target around 2200 or 2100.

Unless you lead a particularly active lifestyle, such as a nurse who is on her feet 8 hours a day.
  • GreatGreenSea
    Options
    If you're always hungry you need to change the way you eat. Eating things that aren't processed (such as fruit, veg, beans, pulses and lean meat) will bulk out your diet but be less calories. While carbs are not bad, stick to less processed carbs such as brown rice, wholegrain bread etc.

Replacing some meat in a meal with chickpeas (or other pulses) reduces the calorie count but not the density of the meal. Fill your plate up with veggies (cover them in spices if you aren't fond of the taste). Drink a glass of water with each meal and drink tea or water throughout the day to keep you full.

You could also exercise more to give you some extra calories if you still feel hungry. Hope this helps!

I don't think I eat a lot of processed foods, but my diary is open...take a look.
  • GreatGreenSea
    Options
    Well your body burns about 2600 calories through normal sedentary daily activity. Add exercise on top of that, and 2500 calories a day is probably a reasonable, if high, calorie goal. With so much weight to lose I'd shoot for a larger calorie deficit and make the target around 2200 or 2100.

Unless you lead a particularly active lifestyle, such as a nurse who is on her feet 8 hours a day.

I put "lightly active" but I think I'm probably "moderately active"...my daily life involves a LOT of walking (at work and to and from bus stops), and I work a retail job on the weekends that has me on my feet for 7-9 hours.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I don't think I eat a lot of processed foods, but my diary is open...take a look.

You are eating a lot of calorie-dense foods like nuts, cookies, nut butters, and rice. Those are foods I really don't eat much when losing weight. A single serving of peanut butter, which is just 2 tablespoons, has as many calories as like 6 ounces of chicken breast or a mountain of broccoli. I also see a lot of high-calorie restaurant/takeout food like Domino's, pad thai, etc. And liquid calories (alcohol).

You're also getting almost no vegetables or fruits. Make an effort to include some more veggies in your day. It really helps keep you full and is very good for your health.
  • myst036
    myst036 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree about the quality of the food that you eat. I have lost over 155 pounds and for me I have noticed that the more empty calories I eat such as white flour based breads, sweets, and processed foods, I get hungry faster. If I eat like I did today and eat more veggies and protein with less empty calories, I stay full longer.

My calories are put at 1770 , but I try to stay under even with exercise. I find that the calorie allotment on mfp is a tad high for weight loss. But if you want to speed up your weight loss, exercise some of the calories off. Its a balancing act, between eating right and not allowing yourself to feel deprived.
  • GreatGreenSea
    Options

You are eating a lot of calorie-dense foods like nuts, cookies, nut butters, and rice. Those are foods I really don't eat much when losing weight. A single serving of peanut butter, which is just 2 tablespoons, has as many calories as like 6 ounces of chicken breast or a mountain of broccoli. I also see a lot of high-calorie restaurant/takeout food like Domino's, pad thai, etc. And liquid calories (alcohol).

You're also getting almost no vegetables or fruits. Make an effort to include some more veggies in your day. It really helps keep you full and is very good for your health.

You're totally right (to be fair, the booze and domino's was at a party!) I used to eat so many vegetables in a day, and I've really slacked off on it.

However, I will NOT give up my nut butters, lol!
  • jonnythan
    Options

You're totally right (to be fair, the booze and domino's was at a party!) I used to eat so many vegetables in a day, and I've really slacked off on it.

However, I will NOT give up my nut butters, lol!

:laugh: No need to give up anything you don't want to. Just keep in mind where your calories are coming from, and make appropriate tradeoffs for cravings vs satiety and nutrition. Remember: there will always be more food tomorrow. If you can't fit your almond butter in today, just look forward to having it tomorrow.