sugestions please.....

Options
So in Sept my husband and I are taking our 3 girls (11, 9 and 1) on a trip. They think we are going down to Great Falls, Montana "shopping" for a couple days......LOL (We live in Alberta, Canada)

We are actually taking them to Great Falls, YellowStone, Vegas, Salt Lake, Grand Canyon, down to Phoenix, Mexicalli, San Diego and up to Disney Land. We are going for 2 weeks, which really isn't enough time but we are going to try to fit everything in. They have no idea where or what we are going to do.

Is there anything that we should ABSOLUTELY see??

Replies

• momathome
    momathome Posts: 72
    Options
    So in Sept my husband and I are taking our 3 girls (11, 9 and 1) on a trip. They think we are going down to Great Falls, Montana "shopping" for a couple days......LOL (We live in Alberta, Canada)

We are actually taking them to Great Falls, YellowStone, Vegas, Salt Lake, Grand Canyon, down to Phoenix, Mexicalli, San Diego and up to Disney Land. We are going for 2 weeks, which really isn't enough time but we are going to try to fit everything in. They have no idea where or what we are going to do.

Is there anything that we should ABSOLUTELY see??
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know...but I want to go!!!:bigsmile: Sounds like fun! Wish MY parents had done something like that for me!!!! Have a GREAT time!

Sorry I don't have suggestions...I know that's what you want.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    If you can do Sea World in San Diego, it is awesome!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    The Grand Canyon!!! We had a great time there. Lake Tahoe has wonderful dinner cruises on the lake there, it is beautiful during that time of the year. San Francisco and all over is a great thing to see...including the Golden Gate Bridge, Lombard Street (curviest road is now back to being open and you can walk or drive down it again! yey!), and Pier 39.

IMHO...Anything that you normally would see photos out and about of, I would try to put into your trip. That way when the tell friends for years to come, or see the places in books, they can say they have been there. It will be great family trip! Have a good time!
  • richardwelch
    Options
    It depends on what you and your family take pleasure in. I lived at the base of the Rocky mountains for years in Colo. Spgs and was still FLOORED by the awesome grandeur of the Grand Teiton mountains and the hot springs in Yellowstone. There is a town called Virginia City in Montana that isnt a must see, but if you are close its a fun town to visit; old silver mining town that caters to tourists and has a lot of historical stuff.

While in San Diego, try to make it to Balboa Park (I like nature, could you tell?). It is awesome, and the eucalyptus trees are something to see.

LA is a big city with a lot of traffic and all the big city stuff; i would try to spend most of my time @ Disneyland, but thats just me.
  • CristaAmy
    CristaAmy Posts: 67
    Options
    Oh my goodness!! How many miles/kilometers is that?

My recommendation (as someone who LOVES to travel) ... if you are outdoorsy people, hit as many national parks as you can! Look into the National Park Pass if you are going to go to more than two parks (http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm). If you can fit it into your schedule ... check out Zion and Bryce National Parks (near the Grand Canyon). Personally, I liked those two parks better than the Grand Canyon.

Have a wonderful time and of course drive safely!
  • amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My son just returned from a similar trip with his dad. They were gone two weeks - started in Edmonton and went all the way to Phoenix and (according to my son) it was all driving :grumble:. He did enjoy the Grand Canyon and the guisers (?sp?) but they didn't make it to Disneyland. Even as a woman of 28, I think that's gonna be the "star" attraction!! :laugh:

Have a happy and safe trip :flowerforyou:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Hoover Dam!! Talk about something that makes you feel small!!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Grand canyon most definitely

And if your in san diego make sure you make the time to hike Cowles mountain it is the highest peak of san diego and it's like your on the outside looking in its an absolute amazing view not to mention a great workout! Bring your camera
  • cherrybe
    cherrybe Posts: 19
    Options
    I have no suggestions sorry! But i hope you have a fantastic time.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

XXX
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Not much compares to Jasper but.

if you're close, Devil's Tower was awesome!
  • Nana27
    Nana27 Posts: 77
    Options
    If I understand you correctly, you will be driving through Yuma, there is a old territorial prison there that is cool. Also agree that in San Diego you should go to Sea World and if there is time go to the San Diego Zoo also. On the drive from San Diego to Disneyland, you will pass Legoland which a lot of kids really like.

My daughter and I took my grandsons to Disneyland a couple of years ago, we also included a bit of Mexico and San Diego for a couple of days. Don't forget the beach, we had a great time picking up seashells, the kids still talk about it.

Linda

74015.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Emdicio
    Emdicio Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, lots of options...

I'd try to visit Glacier National Park (Going to the Sun road!), Yosemite, Zion National Park and then visit the North rim of the Grand Canyon (much less crowded and at least as beautiful). Unless you have to meet Family in Phx I'd suggest coming through Flagstaff and then taking 89A/89 south through Sedona, Jerome and Prescott, all the way through Salome to I-10 and then south to Yuma on 95. Not sure what's in Mexicali but a strong second for SeaWorld and Disneyland - I still love them! The drive up US1 from Santa Barbera to Monterey is incredible, if you have the time. San Francisco is my favorite US city and worth a day if you can spare it.

Sounds like a great trip, enjoy!
  • momathome
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas.....keep them coming....

I have been trying to plan some what of an itinerary to have somekind of an idea of what we are doing. Yes, there is going to be a ton of driving but that is what DVD players in cars are for...LOL I just want my girls to see as much as possible. The only places they have ever been is Alberta, British Columbia and Cuba (went in Jan). I am the type that likes to learn as much as possible about the place we are going, whether it is historical or natural. I think it is important to learn about our land and the people that live there.
    It is kind of a last minute trip so don't really have any kind of plan other than Disney land of course. I love all the ideas and will definately look into fitting them in.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas.....keep them coming....

I have been trying to plan some what of an itinerary to have somekind of an idea of what we are doing. Yes, there is going to be a ton of driving but that is what DVD players in cars are for...LOL I just want my girls to see as much as possible. The only places they have ever been is Alberta, British Columbia and Cuba (went in Jan). I am the type that likes to learn as much as possible about the place we are going, whether it is historical or natural. I think it is important to learn about our land and the people that live there.
    It is kind of a last minute trip so don't really have any kind of plan other than Disney land of course. I love all the ideas and will definately look into fitting them in.

CUBA! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

We U.S. citizens have a very hard time legally visiting Cuba and I want to go so bad!
  • momathome
    Options
    I just checked out some of the suggestions and WOW!!!! So cool. I knew there was lots of things to do and see but holy. I think I need more time than just 2 weeks to cover it all. As it is we are going to be putting on about 7000kms. Wish I had more time.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Oh I just thought of something!!! There are weird things to see all over the United States. Look up weird landmarks along your route to stop and picnic around and see! Try Googling "Weird and Wacky Landmarks" to see what you can find. With my hubby being military we do a lot of traveling and have seen many unusual things along our travels. The kids love these little side adventures, and it saves you money if you plan your stretching and lunches around each stop. Many of these are right along I-5 so that should be an easy adventure!
  • chrix
    chrix Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey Princess....
    waddabout.... https://www.geocaching.com/ ?? :glasses:

YOu can explain that better than I can. That would be a fun thing to do on a trip.... Just wish I could get my hubby interested... :ohwell:
  • momathome
    Options
    thanks princesslaundry.... There are some really strange things out there...LOL
    We are definately going to put a few into our planned stops. I wish I had more time to see more things. It is going to be such a fun trip. Thanks all for the suggestions. If you have any more just let me know... :)) The more the better. I think we might do this every couple years and just pick different places to go each time. Maybe the east coast next.....
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Well, since you have small children, I think Disneyland (Anaheim) is a definate must and California Adventure! There is a great restaurant not too far away in Anaheim Hills called Hibachi Steakhouse...Next, Legoland (San Diego), Sea World (San Diego) and the Wild Animal Park (Escondito-North San Diego County). Another great restuarant downtown San Diego (Gaslamp District) is Sevilla's. Then it is just a short drive to Coronado Island, which is quite beautiful.

As for Las Vegas-I don't really know what is fun for children. The shows are usually adult themed or of interest to adults. My mom saw LOVE and said it was great. My aunt took her older children (teenagers) to BlueMan Group and really enjoyed the show, so...I am not the biggest fan of Las Vegas. It is a very short stay kinda town unless you like to gamble and eat even then it is still a short stay kind of place. I like the Hilton's buffet the best, and both the Venetian and the Paris have excellent pastry shops in their hotels. And there is Tiffany on the strip, always worth a look I think! :happy:

Have Fun