Runners: Help a Beginning Runner Out!

Options
Over the last 2-3 months I've been able to add a good deal of running into my normal walking workout. At the beginning I'd run a quarter mile, then walk and alternate my way through 2 miles. I've gotten to the point where I can run a full 2 miles without stopping, and I think I may be ready to add more running into the workout.

Question: Do you guys think it's better to increase total distance and keep the same speed, or should I keep my 2 miles and try to increase my speed? I currently run (okay, it's technically a jog) somewhere around a 12 minute mile. If I increase my speed and can't complete the whole 2 miles running, then would the longer, slower distance run be better?

Help a girl out! :)

Replies

• HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Long and slow.

You need a pretty big base under you before you start any speed work.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Excuse this, but I'll just quote myself from a different thread (some call it lazy, I call it efficient)
    Speed work without a base will only give you marginal gains. As a new runner, you need more miles on your legs.

If you want to run a faster 5k, train for a 10k.

After you've been running comfortably for a few months, start introducing speed work (tempo runs, hill repeats, intervals, etc)
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    type in Hal Higdon novice 10k program follow it, success follows. He's been writing for Runner's World for 5 decades.
  • alissamc1990
    alissamc1990 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

That's what I was thinking, I just wanted some runner opinions!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can keep the same speed, at this point it is mental. Just tell your self how much you want to run and just do it!! The last 5K I ran I ran with a friend and when I got to the finish Iine I noticed my daughter did start yet (she couldn't find her friend) so I ran it again. I ran twice as much as I was used to at the same pace!!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Almost two years ago, I started out how you did. I still remember the first time I ran a mile without having to walk at all and how excited I was. My goal after that was two miles, then three, then I got to the point of doing five or six miles easily at least four times a week and walking the other days. At that point, I worked on my speed by doing intervals of running hard, walking, etc. I got down to under a ten 10 minute mile and doing eight miles on average before I ran into some health stuff that stopped me for most of last year & I'm just now starting back. I say go for distance & consistency then work on speed (like the others have said :)) Most of all - have fun!
  • alissamc1990
    alissamc1990 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! :)

Chelledawg14, thanks! The first time I finished 2 full miles I was ecstatic. I think I cried I was so proud of myself.... I'm SUCH a girl! haha.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Also a beginning runner. Thanks for the advice. And good luck to you, OP!
  • bitsinator
    bitsinator Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good advice from responses here. I agree to go for distance over speed. Build your base miles per week by picking a 5k / 10k / HM training plan and then sticking to it. The easy/novice levels of most plans are typically 3-4 running days per week, and they'll build your base up at a safe and steady rate. As hard as it is, try not to even concern yourself with speed ... just run at a pace you can comfortably sustain and it will all come together as your endurance builds.

Some perspective: I started at 13 minute miles on C25K plan. (And I totally get the crying ... I sobbed when I finished the 20-minute run!) After a couple more 5ks and an ill-prepared 10k, I ran my first half marathon last summer at an 11:19 pace (and lost 50 lbs during training, yeah! I did the "HM To Finish" training plan in Runkeeper, loved it.) In November, I did a 5-mile race at a 10:00 pace, and I know I have all that half marathon base-building to thank for it. To experienced runners, that's still really slow, but to me it's improvement to be really excited about.

Good luck to you!
  • waltbran
    Options
    Low and slow!! Get comfortable with some solid mileage and then play with some fun interval training.

*the use of the word fun isn the above is highly questionable.
  • clickchick18
    clickchick18 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner too! I ran 2 miles for the first time two Sundays ago and I was sooooo happy!!! But the advice is great thanks!