P90X or Insanity

Options
I'm interested in doing one of these programs, can somebody tell me something about them? Are there any other similar programs? I'm taking the Les Mills class, Body Pump at my local gym 2-3 days a week. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of these programs.

Thanks yall.

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm sure folks who have done either/both will chime in soon but I will say they are marketed as "extreme" and intended for those already in good shape to get into even better shape. The both have fit tests at the beginning for you to judge if you are physically ready. I don't say this to discourage you but to possibly prevent you from getting into something you're not ready for. That being said, all sorts of folks are using them and doing well. I initially looked at P90X and my boss looked into Insanity, but we are both doing Power 90 (the precursor to P90X) as it is intended as a beginning program to lead into the others. The Beachbody website has more information on all of these programs and also a comparison chart so you can look at them side by side. Good luck in whatever you choose :)
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    Good advice Brent!
  • rocky6jj
    rocky6jj Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am currently in the middle of week 3 of P90X. It is definitely intense. The first week I was so sore it wasn't even funny but you are working out a different set of muscles each day so you slowly work out the soreness. There is a fitness test that is recommended so that you can see if you meet certain benchmarks to make sure that the program will be useful to you. At first some of the warm-ups will wear you out but you need to be very focused and committed. It is over an hour a day so you need to make time and stick with it. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • brat1076
    brat1076 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    P90X and Insanity are both great products. The best part is they work. I am a p90x graduate. and I loved it. I will send you a message with a bunch of info.

Tina
  • toddgaines
    Options
    Here is the quick and dirty:

P90X - requires additional equipment (weights, chin up bar), it's primarily strength training, but has some cardio

Insanity - No Additional Equipment Required. Mostly Cardio, but does do some strength training.

Both are huge time investments, anywhere from 40 minutes to 1.5 hours a night, 6 nights a week.

If combined with the proper diet, both will help transform your body. They both will work. Really doing ANYTHING for an hour a night for 6 nights a week will work. But both are truly intense. I have tried many work out DVD's and they are all child's play compared to these two. I personally like P90x better than Insanity because I get a kick out of Tony Horton and I prefer strength training to cardio. However, I was able to stick to Insanity better, and am extremely glad I did it because it got me in the best cardiovascular shape of my life.

Really though, they are both great programs, it's all just personal preference.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    If your body is ready for it, I'd do both. I've done 3 rounds of P90X (started out in horrible shape) and am just finishing the first week of the 2nd round of a P90X/Insanity hybrid. The P90X will give you the weight workouts to build lean muscle while the high intensity cardio of Insanity will help shed the fat (taking into account that you are following a sound nutrition plan). P90X & Insanity combined is the best of both worlds!
  • alex51026
    Options
    Thanks yall. I appreciate all of the reponses. I'm thinking that Insanity would be the best way for me to zap fat and then move into the P90X , that would put me in kick butt shape for the trip to Mexico in a April!!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Actually, I would start with P90X classic. The reason why I say that is because with the Insanity program they expect you to do massive cardio and level drills. These level drills involve push ups and plank work in the middle of all the cardio. The P90x program prepared me for Insanity. Strength training was where I started, P90X improved upon that. Insanity improves your cardio fitness. Another note: I lost 24 lbs during my first round of the X and only three pounds during my first round of Insanity. I simply can't say enough about the benefits of P90X.
  • scweegie
    Options
    I am with the above poster, I think Insanity is more difficult than p90x. With X it is more about doing each exercise to the best of your ability. With insanity it is do as many of the exercises you can within the given time limit.

they are both great programs, good luck with which you choose to do. I think the hardest part is sticking with the entire 12 week or 9 week program.
  • toddgaines
    Options
    The other reason why P90x is a better place to start for some people is that they have modified moves for each exercise, so it is more "beginner friendly". Don't get me wrong, even the modified moves are super hard. With Insanity on the other hand there is only one way to do each move. As you progress you just do them faster and higher. It is also EXTREMELY high impact, so the lighter you are when you do it the less you will destroy your joints. I didn't start Insanity until I had already lost over 30lbs and I still had trouble with the punishment on my knees.

Actually, I would start with P90X classic. The reason why I say that is because with the Insanity program they expect you to do massive cardio and level drills. These level drills involve push ups and plank work in the middle of all the cardio. The P90x program prepared me for Insanity. Strength training was where I started, P90X improved upon that. Insanity improves your cardio fitness. Another note: I lost 24 lbs during my first round of the X and only three pounds during my first round of Insanity. I simply can't say enough about the benefits of P90X.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    Unless you are in great shape already, I would not start with Insanity! I've done two rounds of P90X and I can kill the Pylo but Insanity Pylo rapes my soul.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Unless you are in great shape already, I would not start with Insanity! I've done two rounds of P90X and I can kill the Pylo but Insanity Pylo rapes my soul.

lol