Chronic pain and fatigue - fighting back!

Options
I am 51 and have been on MFP regularly since July 2013 and have lost about 15 to 20 pounds.

I also have lupus actually ( mixed connective tissue disease and a herniated disc in my neck with a lot of pain for the last year) so I have been off work and spend more time in bed than out of it.

I am DONE.... I am returning to work tomorrow and I am going to start the FIGHT to get my life back.

I still have 50 pounds to lose and though my eating has somewhat improved I have become so inactive and deconditioned that I feel horrible. I want to feel alive again. I really do not know where to start but going to make little goals and if anyone out there is fighting chronic pain or a disease that causes chronic fatigue please send me a friend request.

1. I am going to walk everyday
2. I am going to shower everyday. (yes I have gotten to why bother some days because I am not leaving the house or doing
anything to break a sweat but no more).
3. I am going to continue to log my food and try to eat healthy - that is one thing I have done for awhile now (at least I try).

Took a long time to start this New years resolution :)

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I was put on meds for fibromyalgia two years ago because the pain had become unbearable. I would wake up in the middle of the night in extreme pain unable to get back to sleep. I regularly get deep tissue massages to ease the pain to a manageable point so I don't have to take the meds. (They make me feel like a zombie and I lack the ability to focus) I have started to exercise and log my food in again because I have reached the point that I am tired of being in pain and miserable. The exercising has helped to ease some of my pain and I am feeling better about myself. You can add me as a friend if you would like. Good luck on your journey and may you show your chronic pain exactly who is boss!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I also have fibromyalgia and understand the constant pain. Actually there is a group :http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/957-chronic-pain-weight-loss

I have discovered through three years of traking my food on this site that much of my pain is caused by food. I'm pretty limited in what I eat at the moment but I am feeling better than I have in years and actually have some hope that I won't be stuck on the couch for the rest of my life. In fact, I've been lifting weights again and am still feeling pretty good whereas before I would be extremely fatigued for a day or two after.

Edited because typing on a tablet that is "intuitive" is a pain in the button! See!? I actually typed "butt"!
  • abductedbyaliens
    abductedbyaliens Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know it's weird but being active has helped me so much with my lupus. I'm off most of my meds now. I still have occasional bad flare days which are one or two bad days but thats so much better than having flares for weeks at a time. And even the flares aren't so bad as they were. I feel great!! You can do it!!! Even if it's just walking every day that will help you so much!! That's how I started to get into the swing of things, now I'm back to running too.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    BRAVO friend :):smile:
  • terribla
    terribla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 53yrs old and have been dealing with fibromyalgia pain for over 30yrs. I also have arthritis in my knees, hips, shoulders, and neck. I am in a wheelchair because for the last 8 1/2yrs I have not been able to walk. I started working on losing weight in 2006 and have lost 374lbs. since then. In Jan. 2012, I met with a surgeon at our local bariatric center and I had gastric bypass surgery in May 2012. Since Jan. 2012, I have lost 236lbs. I just wanted to encourage you and to let you know that in whatever state you are in, you can lose weight. I do exercises in my bed and wheelchair. I also do exercises at physical therapy and go to the pool to do some water exercise. I bet you could do your exercises just like I do and I know that once you start losing weight that you will start feeling better about yourself. Who knows where your confidence can take you! I would love to be your friend if you would like me to be. Just send me a friend message if you would like to be my friend. I hope you have a great rest of your week.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    You can do this! Just keep it simple:)