Sugar

I'm always over my allotted sugar when I have fruits, or smoothies with frozen ones. I don't eat meat so my diet consist of mostly fruits veggies. I always thought more fruits and veggies are good for you, but it seems like I need to cut down the fruits. I know there are some sugars I can cut, ie. my coffee mate, but fruits? There's got to be a difference right? Can some one help me out. First time blog

Replies

• I'm going to guess if you're getting your nutrients from the right sources then they shouldn't be a problem. Try to avoid smoothies though, they aren't as healthy as you'd think unfortunately.

However, don't cut back on fruit just to meet limits. If you're using the energy up your body isn't going to store it. As you're watching what you're eating you're probably burning more energy than you eat.

Refined sugars, carbs and fats should all be avoided, stick to natural choices and you're good to go. I always go over my sugar count (because of fruit mostly)
  • I'm going to guess if you're getting your nutrients from the right sources then they shouldn't be a problem. Try to avoid smoothies though, they aren't as healthy as you'd think unfortunately.

However, don't cut back on fruit just to meet limits. If you're using the energy up your body isn't going to store it. As you're watching what you're eating you're probably burning more energy than you eat.

Refined sugars, carbs and fats should all be avoided, stick to natural choices and you're good to go. I always go over my sugar count (because of fruit mostly)
    You're right about the refined sugars and carbs but fats are not to be avoided. They are essential to various bodily functions. It's the hydrogenated trans fat that must be avoided.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    I do not track sugar at all, and it has not affected my progress. Enjoy your fruit and track something more relevant like fiber. Here's an excellent link, not about sugar, just about getting started and not saddling yourself with a bunch of restrictions.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Totally ignore sugar, as it has nothing to do with anything.

Your diary is closed but if you don't eat meat and your diet is mostly fruits and veggies, you are probably getting way too little protein.
  • Sorry, I meant to write saturated fats. Avocados, olive oil etc are all good for you and essential. Unrefined carbs and sugar are the way to go. The more natural your diet is the better (:
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    According to the American Heart Association (AHA), the maximum amount of added sugars you should eat in a day are (7):

Men: 150 calories per day (37.5 grams or 9 teaspoons).
    Women: 100 calories per day (25 grams or 6 teaspoons)

Hmmm, I thought I was doing well, setting my sugar tracker at 40g daily. I am not sure I could do 25g. One serving of fruit is at least half of the max.

Anybody else?
  • Bsking78
    Bsking78 Posts: 11 Member
    Ty everyone. But out of curiosity what makes a smoothie un healthy? It's just fruits with water in a blender
  • jonnythan
    Ty everyone. But out of curiosity what makes a smoothie un healthy? It's just fruits with water in a blender

Anyone who tells you to avoid fruit is an idiot.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member

I want to high five you so hard. I mean that in a non creepy way.

OP, you're fine. Ignore sugar. Rejoice ;)
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member

Maybe the post was referring to smoothies from fast food type outlets. They bill themselves as a healthy choice but use large amounts of apple juice and often ice cream which can up the calories in a large drink to 800 calories or more. Not a great choice.

Homemade with real fruit? You bet!
  • Phoenix_Warrior

No. Because calorie deficit> nonsense. Proof? Well, my diary is pretty fitting to prove the point.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    I'm going to guess if you're getting your nutrients from the right sources then they shouldn't be a problem. Try to avoid smoothies though, they aren't as healthy as you'd think unfortunately.

What do you think fructose is? It's not a protein, or fat, or a micronutrient.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    FRUIT SUGAR.

I remember a long time ago during an exam, I looked at the case study which talked about fructose being harmful to diabetics.

I was totally baffled, 'what, fruit sugar harmful?? how can that possibly be?'.

But it boils down to simply this: if it tastes sweet, it usually has SUGAR, in one form or another. the TYPE of fruit also needs to be considered as different amounts of sugar in different fruits.

When fruits are whizzed up you are consuming LARGER number of fruits which therefore has a GREATER AMOUNT of sugar than what you consume if you're just eating fruit as a whole.

But, it needs to put into context, if you are doing a lot of physical activity, then fruit smoothies are obviously going to be used up as opposed to being stored.
  • jonnythan

You can high five me as hard as you want.
  • Phoenix_Warrior

You can high five me as hard as you want.

Then it's settled. We'll make a contest of it. Who gives the hardest high fives. No items. Only hands.
  • When fruits are whizzed up you are consuming LARGER number of fruits which therefore has a GREATER AMOUNT of sugar than what you consume if you're just eating fruit as a whole.

The key thing is they are being made more digestible, much of the fiber being removed and/or 'predigested' by the smoothie maker. I think it's nicer and more filling to eat fruit whole rather than blended although you'll get your vitamins either way...
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    I am having very much fun reading this thread. I wonder how many calories people can burn doing high fives. Perhaps lots of high fives will allow lots and lots of sugar. I have to say, I have been having an issue where if I eat too much sugar I am hungry because I use up all my calories in chocolate then I dont have any bulk and I am hungry. Apple is better bet for me. And I wonder on the smoothies, I have always wondered this, do you get hungrier after having smoothies than after eating the fruit? I dont have a smoothie making thing but I am interested in it, my daughter makes them, they help her eat vegetables.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Try to avoid smoothies though, they aren't as healthy as you'd think unfortunately.

The ones you buy at the grocery store sure but not if you make them yourself. I make post-workout smoothies for breakfast that consist of:

1% milk
    Blueberries (or strawberries or banana or a combo of all)
    Non fat plain Greek yogurt
    Peanut butter
    Protein Powder
    Creatin

Nothing "unhealthy" about that.