Why am I so heavy?

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

She's BARELY in the overweight category according to BMI. And I personally don't think she looks like she has an above average amount of BF. She carries her weight well.

30% is "acceptable" amount of body fat. :huh:

body-fat-chart.jpg

/thread

Where is your chart from? Everyone I have looked at looks like:

body_fat_chart.jpg

And I am not arguing with you in the least -- it's just that this is what my doctor goes by.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    But it also doesn't mean people should pretend that OP looks like she has more muscle definition than she actually appears to have.

Who said "definition"? I don't believe anyone did. OP isn't ripped. But to my eye, she still looks like she has more muscle than your average skinny girl...a lot more. Tight core doesn't necessarily have to mean ripped abs. It means flat stomach.

I don't get why people have trouble seeing muscle if someone isn't ripped but is at an average bodyfat level.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    OP, you're that heavy because you're weighing yourself on the Earth.

If someone asks, quote them your moon weight... It's like less than 30 lbs.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Healthy human skeleton accounts for about 15-20% of LBM, if I'm remembering rightly.

"Big bones" aren't that significant.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    In. Just in
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I think you look like you weigh about 170. You just carry your weight higher on your body instead of someone like myself that carries it in my lower half.

You might be dense as far as bones, but I am not quite sure you have the muscle mass you think you have.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    She has an average amount of muscle for someone of her height. She's "so heavy" because she combines this average amount of muscle with an above average quantity of body fat.

She doesn't have significantly more muscle than other untrained people of her height. Therefore she doesn't have "that much muscle."

If people want to argue the semantics of what "that much muscle" means go ahead. She doesn't have some freakish amount of muscle that you would normally find in an experienced lifter. She's "that heavy" because she's a pretty averaged sized 5'7 human being on earth.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Speak for yourself :laugh:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Gravity!!

/thread
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    But it also doesn't mean people should pretend that OP looks like she has more muscle definition than she actually appears to have.

Who said "definition"? I don't believe anyone did. OP isn't ripped. But to my eye, she still looks like she has more muscle than your average skinny girl...a lot more. Tight core doesn't necessarily have to mean ripped abs. It means flat stomach.

I don't get why people have trouble seeing muscle if someone isn't ripped but is at an average bodyfat level.

I don't have trouble seeing anything. OP looks to be around 30% body fat or so (ahem) which implies not much muscle aka an average amount. No one said below average, which seems to be what you're thinking is being said.

It's not like we're calling her fat (she doesn't appear to be) nor are we knocking being at that body fat, but she does look her weight. Which is fine. I probably look my weight too. So what?
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm not necessarily speaking to muscles/fat. The females in my family tend to be kind of round and broad-shouldered (me!) or whip-thin, but we all seem to weigh more than we look like we do (including my size-2 cousins, who says new doctors seem surprised at their weight). Same thing happens to me. A doctor once mentioned we had particularly dense bones, but honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Lately I've been losing inches and not pounds and I'm still getting smaller, so isn't it all the same?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Where is your chart from? Everyone I have looked at looks like:

body_fat_chart.jpg

And I am not arguing with you in the least -- it's just that this is what my doctor goes by.

Read the disclosure at the bottom of yours. Based on BMI guidelines.

Recommended Percent Body Fat (based on American College of Sports Medicine guidelines):

Age 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-59 60+
    Female 16-24% 17-25% 19-28% 22-31% 22-33%
    Male 7-17% 12-21% 14-23% 16-24% 17-25%
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I don't have trouble seeing anything. OP looks to be around 30% body fat or so (ahem) which implies not much muscle aka an average amount. No one said below average, which seems to be what you're thinking is being said.

It's not like we're calling her fat (she doesn't appear to be) nor are we knocking being at that body fat, but she does look her weight. Which is fine. I probably look my weight too. So what?

Seriously. No one said she has no muscle. She just has no more than would be expected for a normal untrained person of her height and weight.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    854641d1386971173-avoid-airborne-bikes-like-where-thread-going.jpg
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I don't think the OP ever said she thought she was extra-muscular. She was just confused as to why her measurements are smaller than people who weigh more than her.

If the answer isn't higher muscle, higher bone density still could contribute but the answer might be even more obvious:

1) the people you're comparing to are lying about their weight, OR
    2) you carry weight in places not covered by typical measurements...like shoulders, arms, calves, etc.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options

My bad :tongue:

2dl5352.jpg
  • DamePiglet
    Options

My bad :tongue:

2dl5352.jpg
    Heeheehee... How could you turn my perfectly tasteless smut into something so adorable?! That seems wrong. :laugh:
  • mandyohmy
    Options
    Hey, I am the same way!! I am 5'7" and even when I weighed 200lbs. NO ONE guessed that - they all said 170 max. I have always carried my weight very well and looked lighter than I am. I naturally am dense, have bigger bones, and more muscle. When I was 150-160 even people were telling me I was looking pretty shapely and lean. When I got down to 125 I looked sickly thin and was anorexic - yet 125 for many people is a very normal and healthy weight. Just accept that you carry your weight well and pay attention to the measurements! I have people tell me I'm very thin and lean now (Measurements 33"-27"-36", size 4-6 or small) and I'm usually a little over 140. Weight is just a number! You're lucky!

Same here. I am 5'7 and have been everywhere from 125-170 and only fluctuated one size in clothing. It really depends on your body type. I know when I am 125 people tell me to eat more, and when I am 170 they tell me I look "thick in a good way". Scales and BMI are obsessive and unnecessary. Find activities you ENJOY. Don't burn hours on a treadmill unless you think that is actually fun. Being active is about more than being a slave to the gym. I think you look awesome, but the way we feel about ourselves is what actually matters. No one on a forum can convince us otherwise if we don't believe it ourselves. Cheesy? Yeah, probably.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I don't think the OP ever said she thought she was extra-muscular. She was just confused as to why her measurements are smaller than people who weigh more than her.

If the answer isn't higher muscle, higher bone density still could contribute but the answer might be even more obvious:

1) the people you're comparing to are lying about their weight, OR
    2) you carry weight in places not covered by typical measurements...like shoulders, arms, calves, etc.
    That's what I was thinking too. My scale hadn't moved for months; neither had the tape measure, but my trainer said I looked like I'd lost some weight again. I must have lost inches (or fractions of an inch) from places that I wasn't measuring, maybe biceps, ankles, between my navel and hips... who knows? Weight loss is not linear, and I don't think the few sample measurement points usually used give the full picture either.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Here's another chart, adjusted for age:
    chart-lg.jpg
    Source: http://www.accumeasurefitness.com/

The following numbers for women's body fat percentage are copied from a card I received about 20 years ago and is attributed to the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America:

Very Good: 13-23% Average: 23-27% Fair: 27-32% High: 32+ %

Age 30-39:
    Very Good: 17-24% Average: 24-29% Fair: 29-34% High: 34+ %

Age 40-49:
    Very Good: 19-27% Average: 27-32% Fair: 32-37% High: 37+ %

Age 50+
    Very Good: 21-29% Average: 29-34% Fair: 34-39% High: 39+ %

The following formula to calculate ideal weight comes from Sandra Rosenzweig's book Sportfitness for Women (Harper & Row, 1982):

1. Determine your current body fat weight:
    Multiply your total body weight by your body fat percentage.

2. Determine your lean body weight:
    Take your total body weight and subtract your current body fat weight from it.

3. Determine your ideal fat weight:
    Divide your desired body fat percentage by your current body fat percentage; then multiply the result by current body fat weight.

4. Your ideal weight is your lean body weight plus your ideal body fat weight.

According to my calipers, my current body fat is at 25.9%, which is at the low end of "ideal" for a woman my age. I'm 55, 5'5", and am maintaining at my goal weight of 150. (All those fives are purely coincidental.) My avatar photo on the right is what I look like these days.

Another good resource to see what different body types look like for women is http://www.mybodygallery.com/