Squats and lunges.

Options
Whenever I do squats and lunges, and other supposed-to-be glute workouts, I only feel the burn in my quads rather than in my glute or hamstrings. Any tips or ideas of what I'm possibly doing wrong?

Note: I try very hard to make sure I put the weight in my heels as I'm usually instructed to do so.

Replies

• SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Whenever I do squats and lunges, and other supposed-to-be glute workouts, I only feel the burn in my quads rather than in my glute or hamstrings. Any tips or ideas of what I'm possibly doing wrong?

Note: I try very hard to make sure I put the weight in my heels as I'm usually instructed to do so.

1. Are you going low enough?

2. Are you pushing through your heels versus the fronts of your feet?
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'd say probably not going low enough as well, Squats should be at least parallel, but really below it for the full benefits. Lunges, your knee should pretty much be touching the floor. I find doing walking lunges forces me to go full ROM.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Try deadlifts, Stiff legged deadlifs and good mornings.

You'll feel it in your glutes and hammies, I promise.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    you may want to get your hands on a book called Starting Strength the 3rd edition by Mark Rippetoe. the Kendal version is just under 10$ right now. it walks you though barbell basics in such a comprehensive way after reading it you'll be a fountain of knowledge! lol no really it is great book!!
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    go lower and when you push up, push up through your heels
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

Squats & lunges work quads, hamstrings, and glutes, but it's normal to only feel 1 or 2 of those groups - especially if they're weak. As long as you have good form, you're working the proper muscles, regardless of whether you feel all of them.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Little trick for staying on your heels when you squat is to lift your big toes off the ground the entire time. At the very least it will shift your weight back slightly and put more stress on the posterior chain. Another way to help your form is to do box squats. Find a bench or stack the boxes for step class up to a height that puts you at, or just below parallel when you sit on it. Put the box behind you when you squat and act like you are sitting in a chair, it will help with depth and making sure your hips go back during the movement rather than your knees going forward.