Cal. burned...which to use HRM or MFP

Options
What's better to use?
Your cals burned via a Heart Rate Monitor or MFP's estimate?

I have my HRM set to 35 fit..and I put in my weight and sex. MFP's cal. estimates are lower then my HRM. So, of course, I'd rather use the HRM :)

I have not had any metabolic testing --too much money even through my gym... and I know neither the HRM or MFP will be exact...but which is better to use?

Thanks for any imput.
-B

Replies

• sharonuk10
    Options
    I go by my HRM only. Do not even consider MFPs.
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I would definately go with the HRM!
  • grlgeek99
    Options
    Does your heart rate monitor have a chest strap? If so, definitely the HRM.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    HRM
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Go with the HRM, it will more accurately record how much effort you put into your exercise.

For example, I play football (soccer) weekly with a friend who is also trying to lose weight. MFP would say that if we played for the same length of time we would burn calories in ratio to our weights, which is fair enough if we put the same effort into playing.

My friend plays in goal, which means long periods of standing around with few short bursts of activity, where as I play as a forward, which means long periods of moving around, mostly sprinting, with few periods of inactivity in the same time scale.

I would guess I burn 10x the calories he does in the same time, but MFP would say that I hadn't, and we'd burnt calories as if we had been as active as each other.
  • sclay32
    Options
    I go by the HRM with chest strap
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    HRM for sure
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    yep, it has a chest strap.

I'm thrilled that everyone is saying HRM. I get rather bummed to see and go by the MFP numbers somedays...cause I feel like I've worked harded than what the MFP numbers are saying.

You all are making my day!!! :)
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! I needed that!
  • CarolynnW
    CarolynnW Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    HRM!