Healthy & Delicious Soup Recipes!

Options
wonderwoman234
wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
Let's swap soup recipes. :wink: I love eating soup in the winter. Many are low in calories, high in fiber, filling and comforting. Please post your favorite soup recipe here (and I apologize if there are duplicate threads....I'm a newbie!).

Here's a totally delicious and healthy version of Pasta e Fagioli that is less than 200 calories for a 1 1/2 cup bowl.

2 tbsp. olive oil
4 large carrots, peeled and diced
1 large Vidalia onion, diced
4 large stalks celery, diced
3 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
4 cups chicken broth (or 4 cups water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes)
15 oz. can diced tomatoes in their liquid
1 rind (hard outer edge) from a fresh Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (this is a KEY ingredient)
14.5 oz. can beans (Kidney, Chick Peas, Red Beans, whatever you like), drained and rinsed
1 large bay leaf
1 tsp. each of dried Rosemary & Thyme
1/3 cup dry Pastina pasta (or ditalini or any small pasta you like)

Saute carrots, onion and celery in olive oil on medium heat until slightly soft, stirring occasionally . Add garlic and saute another minute or two. Add sweet potato and continue sauteing for another few minutes. Add chicken broth (or water & bouillon), tomatoes, rind of cheese, bay leaf and herbs. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the soup seems too thick, add a little extra water. Season with salt and pepper toward the end of cooking time. When vegetables are just soft and tender, add Pastina and cook for another 7 minutes (or longer if you use bigger pasta). Remove bay leaf and rind of Parmigiano before serving.

I love this soup! The flavor from a really good Parmigiano Reggiano adds incredible depth and flavor with negligible calories to the soup, so don't skip this step or the soup will be very ho-hum. This should yield at least 6 servings of 1 1/2 cups. It showed 176 calories per serving when entered into My Recipes.

Replies

• kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to this soup it is amazing. I use 1tbsp soy sauce and add red chilli flakes and creole seasoning for a kick. I omit the nutmeg and salt. The whole pot is about 400 cal

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    2 (10 ounce) packages chopped frozen broccoli, thawed
    1 potato, peeled and chopped
    4 cups chicken broth
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, and saute onion and garlic until tender. Mix in broccoli, potato, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.

With a hand mixer or in a blender, puree the mixture until smooth. Return to the saucepan, and reheat. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
  • ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love and swear by Skinnytaste's Minestrone. This woman has great recipes! This is one of my faves. Especially the parmesan rind.. yum. I stock this in the winter, my boyfriend calls it 'Devil Soup' due to gassiness from the white beans :P

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/11/crock-pot-minestrone-soup.html
  • ashzacher
    Options
    Any also Skinnytaste Stuffed Pepper Soup!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/12/stuffed-pepper-soup.html
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    MMMmmm! All of those sound deeelish!
  • JdoubleJ
    JdoubleJ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    These sound great, look forward to trying them out
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    This is the most delicious soup I've ever eaten:

Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients:
    2 cups water
    4 cups chicken broth
    1 lb raw boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 (6 oz) box of Long Grain & Wild Rice (Uncle Ben’s)
    1 cup sliced carrots
    1 cup sliced celery
    ½ cup flour
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon black pepper
    1 stick (8 tablespoons) light butter
    2 cups fat free half and half

Directions:
    1. Bring the water and chicken broth to a boil in a large pot or dutch oven. Add the chicken, rice (with seasoning packet), carrots and celery and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through and easy to shred. Remove the cooked chicken breasts to a plate and shred with two forks. Replace the lid and continue to simmer the rest.
    2. Mix together the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl until combined. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in flour a spoonful at a time to make a roux. Pour the half and half in a little at a time, stirring continuously with a whisk to allow the roux to combine with the cream. Continue whisking and adding half and half until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
    3. Add the shredded chicken and the cream mixture back into the soup pot and stir to combine. Bring back to a simmer and simmer for 5-10 minutes to allow soup to thicken and flavors to combine.

Yields 10 (1 cup) servings: 212 calories, 19 g carbs, 6 g fat, 15 g protein, 1 g fiber
  • KateEMD
    KateEMD Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I could live on this soup

1 cup brown rice, uncooked
    1 box vegetarian broth
    1 can chopped tomatoes and chilies
    1 can green chilies
    1 cup chopped green onions
    1 cup chopped cilantro
    1 lime, juiced
    shredded low moisture cheddar cheese
    tortilla chips

Cook brown rice. Add broth, tomatoes and chilies, green chilies, and green onions. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes while covered. Take off heat and add cilantro and lime juice. Stir well. Dish up soup and top each bowl with tortilla chips and cheese.
  • ashzacher
    Options
    Another serious favorite.. Spinach, white bean, turkey sausage soup! Nice and garlicky but not too overpowering. Very filling!

http://www.closetcooking.com/2009/01/spinach-white-bean-and-turkey-sausage.html
  • Focusisfab
    Options
    Bumping this!:wink:
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I've made this a few times and love it.... more so I love any soup that has cabbage in it.
    Yes this is a version of the "cabbage soup diet" recipe... :noway:

½ head of cabbage, chopped
    1 cup celery, diced
    1 cup white or yellow onion, diced
    1 cup carrots, diced
    2-3 cloves garlic, minced
    4 cups chicken broth
    14 oz can basil, oregano, garlic diced tomatoes
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon basil
    ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
    few shakes of black pepper
    ½ teaspoon salt (optional)

I also like to put frozen peas in it as well dried jalapeno flakes.. I basically count this as no calories since nothing to it.. so simple and yummy...

:heart: u cabbage .... lol
  • smalacarne
    Options
    bumping... so I remember to post a recipe
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I just wing it with soups - I usually make hearty vegetable type soups if I use chicken I use vegetable or chicken soup base if its beef I use a tomato base (ie: canned diced tomatoes). I have a couple entered on my recipes feel free to check em out I just made a chicken tortelini soup tonight but again just added what I had on hand (I even added the container of mashed turnips I had in the freezer just to use em up).

Generally though the secret to good soups and stews for me is bay leaf, once I have sauteed the onions and celery and add some liquid I throw in a few bay leaves and they stay in until the soup is finished. Just what my mother taught me.
  • ktloo
    ktloo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Marking for later. I just discovered the awesomeness that is homemade soup so these recipes look wonderful.
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    These look great! Bumping for later. Thanks, OP!
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bump^^ Loving this thread.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Here's my latest 5 soup recipes with calorie & macro counts.

Tomato Basil Soup:

Dei Fratelli - Crushed Tomatoes-All Natural, No Salt Added, 4 container (3 3/10 cups ea.)
    Domino - Granulated Sugar-1 Teaspoon, 1 tsp
    Basil Leaf, Fresh - Generic, 70 leaves
    The Spice Hunter - Grill Shakers - Roasted Garlic, 2 tsp
    Fresh Market - Sea Salt Spice Grinder, 0.5 tsp
    Spice - Cracked Black Pepper, 0.75 tsp
    Land O' Lakes - Traditional Half & Half, 8 tbsp (1/2 cup)
    Kraft - Natural Shredded Parmesan Cheese, 1.5 container (1 1/2 cups ea.)

Per 2 Cup Serving: calories 318 / fat 12 grams/ carbs 33 grams/ protein 20 grams/ fiber 8 grams

I'm one of those cooks who dumps & tastes & add some more spices, so those are a guesstimate. My suggestion is to not add salt, until after you've added the cheese & then salt to taste. Add all ingredients to a stock pot, except for the 1/2 & 1/2. I just chiffonade the basil into small strips, so you don't have to blender the soup when you're done. I usually simmer the entire pot for an hour or longer, then add the 1/2 & 1/2 right at the end. It is absolutely delicious!!!

Chicken "Tortilla-less" Soup:

1 TBSP olive oil
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    4 cups chicken broth, low sodium (I use Kitchen Basics, no added salt)
    1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, (**prefer fire-roasted tomatoes)
    8 oz. chicken breast*, shredded
    1 can Goya pinto bean, light (thoroughly rinse to decrease sodium)
    1-1/3 cups corn, frozen
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp red pepper
    1 TBSP cumin

*I use rotisserie chicken stripped from the carcass & chopped, it adds tons of wonderful flavor & make prep really easy!

Saute onions & garlic in olive oil. Add the remainder of ingredients & simmer for 30 minutes. Once again, I often add some extra cumin or a little chili powder, as I like some heat. May add garnishes such as avocado, tortilla strips & cheese. (Note: garnishes are NOT included in calorie count.) Serving size: 1 cup.

Nutrition Info/1 cup: calories 141 / fat 3 grams/ carbs 17 grams/ protein 12grams / fiber 5 grams
    (2 cup serving: calories 282 / fat 6 grams/ carbs 34 grams/ protein 24 grams / fiber 10 grams

I usually serve a 2 cup serving (double the calorie info) & add a little 2% Mexican Cheese mix & some fresh avocado cubes. You really don't need the tortilla strips, as the corn gives you the same flavor. A 2 cup serving is incredibly filling! If you want to add more for your hubbie or kids, serve with chips & fresh homemade guacamole, or make them a cheese quesadilla.

**I love the taste of fire-roasted tomatoes, so I use those, instead of plain tomatoes (I believe it's Hunt's brand). My sister has changed my recipe up a bit, and replaces the tomatoes with a jar of salsa, adds a whole jalapeño (remove at the end of cooking) & the juice of one lime. Both of our families love the soup & ask for it often!

Turkey & White Bean Chili:

1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 cup Onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    20 ounces Lean Ground Turkey - 93% fat free (may use extra lean if desired)
    3 cups Chicken Broth, Low Sodium (33%)
    1 can Bush's Great Northern White Beans, thoroughly rinsed
    1 Bay Leaf
    1 tsp Chili Powder
    1-1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
    1-1/2 tsp Ground Oregano
    1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
    1/8 tsp Black Pepper
    1/8 tsp Sea Salt

Per 2 Cup Serving: calories 412 / fat 16 grams/ carbs 27 grams/ protein 39 grams/ fiber 8 grams

Saute onions & garlic in olive oil until translucent, then add meat & brown. Add remainder of ingredients & simmer for 30-60 minutes. Remove bay leaf prior to serving.

Chicken & Lentil Soup:

12 oz. Chicken - Boneless Skinless Breast
    1 cup Onion, chopped
    3 tsp Garlic, chopped
    48 oz. Swanson's Low Sodium Chicken Broth
    1 packet Swanson – Chicken Flavor Boost
    1 bag (about 3-1/2 cups) Dried Lentils
    14.5 oz can Hunt’s Petite Diced Tomatoes, add juice too
    1 cup Cilantro, fresh, chopped
    1/8 tsp Sea Salt
    2 tsp Granulated Roasted Garlic (Spice Hunter brand)
    1-1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
    1/2 tsp Oregano
    1/2 tsp Black Pepper
    1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
    1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
    1/2 tsp Chili Powder
    1 cup water

Saute Chicken in olive oil, when cooked remove from pan & set aside. Sauté onions & garlic until translucent, then transfer chicken back to the stock pot. Add chicken broth, water & flavor boost packet & stir. Finally add the lentils, tomatoes & the remainder of the spices. Simmer until lentils are tender, approximately 45-60 minutes.

*Note the soup is good immediately after being prepared, but is amazing after it sits in the refrigerator for a day or 2!

Per 2 cup serving: calories 277 / fat 1 gram / carbs 53 grams / protein 36 grams / fiber 23 grams

Italian Turkey & Cheese Tortellini Soup:

20 oz package Jennie-O Lean Ground Turkey (93% fat free)
    20 oz package Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey (99% fat free) 1-1/2 cups Onion, chopped
    4 tsp Garlic, chopped
    4 oz Baby Carrots, diced
    48 oz Swanson Low Sodium Chicken Broth
    2 cups water
    10 oz can Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, Mild – add juice too
    3-1/2 TBSP Italian Seasoning
    1 tsp Black Pepper
    2 tsp Granulated Roasted Garlic (Spice Hunter brand)
    1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
    1 tsp Fennel Seeds, crushed
    1 tsp Dried Basil
    2 tsp Oregano
    1 tsp Sea Salt
    20 oz package Buitoni Three Cheese Tortellini (fresh)

Saute turkey in a small amount of olive oil until browned, then add onions, garlic and carrots, sauté until onions are translucent. Add chicken broth, water, Rotel tomatoes & spices, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer for 30-45 minutes. Add tortellini & simmer until tortellini is tender, about 7-9 minutes. Makes 10 - 2 cup servings. Add 3 TBSP Kraft Reduced Fat Grated Parmesan Cheese to each bowl when serving.

Per 2 cup serving: calories 448 / fat 16 gram / carbs 32 grams / protein 43 grams / fiber 4 grams
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I substitute Kale instead of chard, and will toss left over roasted chicken breasts in. I also use regular tortill chips weighed out instead of frying my own to have less of a mess

Rick Bayless's tortilla soup.

4 to 6 corn tortillas, preferably stale store-bought ones

1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

4 to 5 medium (about 1 1/2 ounces total) dried pasilla chiles, stemmed and seeded (also called chilles negros)

2 garlic cloves, unpeeled

1 medium-large round ripe tomato (drained canned tomatoes can be substituted -- see note)

1 medium white onion, peeled, halved, and sliced 1/8 thick

6 cups good broth, preferably chicken

Salt, about 1/2 teaspoon, depending on saltiness of broth

2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican Chihuahua cheese, or other melting cheese such as brick or Monterey Jack

1 large lime, cut into 6 wedges

4 cups loosely packed, thinly sliced (preferably red) chard leaves (you’ll need about 2/3 of a 12-ounce bunch)

1. Slice the tortillas in half and then into 1/8-inch-wide strips. Heat 1/3 cup of the vegetable oil in a medium-size (8-to-9 inch) skillet over medium-high. When hot, add about 1/3 of the tortilla strips and fry, turning frequently, until they are crisp on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Fry the remaining strips in 2 batches.
    2. Cut chiles into rough 1-inch squares using kitchen shears. Reduce the heat under the oil to medium-low, let cool a minute, then fry the squares very briefly to toast them, 3 or 4 seconds; immediately remove and drain on paper towels. Place 1/3 of the chiles in a small bowl, cover with hot water and let rehydrate for 30 minutes, stirring regularly to ensure even soaking. Drain and discard the water. Set aside the remaining fried chiles.
    3. Roast the garlic and tomato on a baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler until blackened and blistered on one side, about 6 minutes; flip and broil the other side. Cool, then peel both, collecting any juices. Note: Alternately, substitute a 14.5-ounce can of tomatoes (drained) and roast the garlic in a dry skillet on the stovetop.
    4. In a medium-size (4-quart) pot, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-low. Add the onion and fry until brown, about 10 minutes. Place the rehydrated chiles in a food processor or blender along with the roasted garlic, tomato and 1 cup of the broth; puree until smooth. Raise the temperature under the pot to medium-high, and, when noticeably hotter, press the tomato-chile puree through a medium-mesh strainer into the fried onion. Stir for several minutes as the mixture thickens and darkens. Mix in the remaining 5 cups of broth, then simmer uncovered over medium-low, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Season with salt.
    5. Set out the garnishes: Make mounds of the fried tortilla strips, fried chiles, cheese and lime on a large platter. Just before serving, reheat the soup, add the sliced chard and simmer until the chard is tender, 5 or 6 minutes. Ladle into warm soup bowls and pass the garnishes for each guest to use al gusto.
    6. Notes for advance preparation — The soup itself can be prepared several days ahead, but the chard will be freshest if you add it only as you're reheating the soup in the last few minutes. The fried tortillas will keep for a day wrapped in foil on the counter. Reheat the broth and set out the garnishes just before serving.
  • vyanadevi
    vyanadevi Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tmmille1
    tmmille1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am going to show my ignorance but can someone tell me what a "bump" is? :)
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm saving so I can post one later :)