Digital or manual scale accuracy

Options
Does anyone know which type of scales are more reliable. We have digital ones and the standard ones and they differ by about 10lbs. Both on the same surface and both set to zero :-/

Replies

• VGhan
    VGhan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do you have a weight that you could place on the scales, like a 10 lb dumbbell? I'd use that and adjust the scales according to the reading.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    The very best thing you can do is to get something to test each scale out with. Easiest way to test is to get something like a 10 pound dumbbell and see which one is more accurate.
  • livehealthier1
    livehealthier1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know what worked for me. I was also getting incorrect readings.
    I bought a square piece of plywood and placed
    that on tile in my bathroom and the digital scale
    on top. Ever since correct readings everytime.
    Also check battery in digital scale as well.. That
    also could be playing a part .
  • mummyjonno
    mummyjonno Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Do you have a weight that you could place on the scales, like a 10 lb dumbbell? I'd use that and adjust the scales according to the reading.

I do actually have dumbells!' Fabulous idea! Thank you for that one!! X
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    digital and always set for grams. Use it every time I eat anything.
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    sorry, jumped the gun, thought you were talking about food scales, not weight. I do use a digital weight scale and step on it atleast 2 to 3 times when I weigh in.
  • codyjash
    codyjash Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've actually never tested mine for accuracy. I use the Fitbit Aria scale and it seems to be fairly accurate compared to the scale in my doctors office. The one in the doctors office ran me about 4lbs heavier than the one at with all my clothes, steel toe shoes, and jacket on.
  • mummyjonno
    mummyjonno Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well I attempted it. The digital scales wouldn't pick up the weights at all and the normal ones did (not sure on accuracy though) x
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Digital ones are more accurate, in general. I am not saying manual ones can not work, but when we had one at my house, it made me weigh 10 lbs less than what I really was.