Housework calories.....

Some advice please ladies & gents,

My sister and I are having a ' disagreement ' .... I work shifts so my house gets tidied daily, but cleaned top to bottom every 6 or 7 days, generally on my first day off.

The disagreement is that she feels I should count that as a workout and use /bank the calories, as it takes me 2-3 hours & I am all sweaty etc when I finish -

I feel it's just life, housework needs doing!

Please.... Who is right?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    yah no...this was part of your life before you got here .....

2-3hous a week might make you lightly active but I wouldn't log it.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    NO, NO, NO - doing housework did not stop any of us getting fat and does not count! I have never seen cleaning at the Olympics either lol :grumble:
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Each to their own. I might log it if it was the kind of clean you do before moving (or when the in laws come to visit!) when you are literally sweating, however other than that I think its just life.
    I rarely log anything if I wasn't wearing my HRM, but I do have a fitbit...
  • barton6435
    barton6435 Posts: 23 Member
    Personally i wouldn't log it I walk my daughter to and from school every day its about 15mins each way i dont count this and just use it as a added bonus so to speak
  • coxy2008
    coxy2008 Posts: 20 Member
    I would just set your profile to lightly active and not bank the calories.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    No, its not right to log that in..You did all of that before you joined MFP, some how didn't make you smaller. Gym does..
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    To log or not to log calories. If the way you keep house has not changed since you started out on you road to being healthier then I would say this would be reflected in the level of activity you have chosen for yourself. Your sister does have a point too because if you are ""giving all you have in effort" then this could be equal to a work out. Several years ago now I heard the actions involved in giving you home a good clean, the stretching, the lifting, the moving and all was a good way to build your muscles and start towards a healthier life. Probably "you pays your penny, and takes your choice".
  • liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    No I wouldn't log that and I have my mfp am fitbit settings at sedentary. I suppose when I'm doing housework I'm getting steps on the fitbit and extra calories for that though.

It's all trial and error, you could set your mfp to sedentary and log cleaning and exercise in and not eat back the calories awarded for cleaning and see if you do lose more weight than your target in your mfp settings.
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Many thanks everyone, I thought I was right! Housework just needs doing!

I do workout 3 times a week, I think my sister just thought it would help as an 'extra' one....:drinker: