Omlette FAIL, need help!

Options
I cannot for the life of me make an omlette. I'd love to learn because I can't make myself mix salsa into scrambled eggs and I think I'd like the salsa with an omlette. Any professoinal tips? :happy:

Replies

• vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    add 2 tbl of water to your mixture, use non stick cooking spray or a little olive oil, when you pour your mixture in the pan when the middle starts to bubble its ready to flip (good luck w/your flip) it shouldn't take too long on the other side, my flip never turns out but i try lol
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Can you manage the fold alright? I can always fold but not flip so after I fold, I slide the omlette onto my plate, flip it and then put it back in the pan.

Why can't you just put salsa on top of your scrambled eggs?
  • Pandemonium
    Options
    My boyfriend makes the most amazing omelets and they look so pretty. What he does is, he gets the omelet filling ready (veggies etc) and he gets the pan nice and hot. He then puts the egg into the pan, when it starts to bubble he adds the filling into the centre of the pan. Then he folds one side towards the centre, then he fold the other side towards the centre (making sure to fold the egg over the filling) and then takes this "burrito" shape omelet and flips it over so that the other side is nicely cooked.

I find this method affective for people who love to add lots of goodies inside the filling.

We typically have mushrooms, onions, and cheese with asparagus in them. Very tasty, very filling and very healthy.

Good luck.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Use a nonstick pan as well. When you think it's ready to flip, give the skillet a little shake back and forth and if it moves easily and doesn't look like it will break apart (doesn't start to crack or look too wobbly) tilt the skillet toward your spatula, and very carefully shake it out toward the spatula. Get the spatula well under it, and flip it quickly. Failing that, put a lid on it and let the whole thing cook on its own. it's best to fold it in half as you put it onto the plate, rather than in the pan, just give it a little shake again. I used to be a cook. I'm surprised I can bring myself to make eggs at all for myself, but I do.
  • katydid2009
    Options
    I like to add the salsa at the end rather than during the cooking. Once I pour the eggs into the pan, I let it sit until the edges start to firm up. The I gently lift the edge of the omelette with a silicone spatula and tilt the pan so some of the still liquid egg product slips under the lifted edge. I turn the pan a little and lift another edge and drain more of the liquid eggs under the firmed portion. By that time, most of it is nearly cooked and I start to add the ingredients...veggies, salsa...whatever. I only add the ingredients to one half of the omelette, then flip only the other half onto the additions. Then when it is done, I slide the silicone spatula under a corner of the omelette and gently slide it out of the pan onto the plate. By the way, I use a really good non stick pan and alittle cooking spray. Circulon and Calphelon are the best...IMHO. I have a feeling you WILL master the almighty omelette!
  • newlisa13
    newlisa13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't add water or milk, it weakens egg structure. Spray then heat pan. Pour in well mixed eggs and cook on med-low. Use rubber spatula to raise edge and let liquid go under what is already cooked by tipping pan. When eggs are 80 % cooked and you can't pour any more under, then flip with help of rubber spatula. Good luck and HAVE FUN. In the end it will taste great no matter what it looks like.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Omelets sound so good right now!
  • ItsJustVicki
    Options
    I bought a mini omelet maker from Bed, Bath and Beyond an I love it ;) I use 1 egg and 1 egg white then add what I want in it
  • MzToyah
    MzToyah Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For a personal omlette, I use 2 eggs, a drop of water and a drop of milk. In a med pan, (not one too big), pray some pam--pour egg in and do not touch for a few minutes. Once you see the edges turn white, take a knife and go around the edges--lift one edge up slightly, and tilt the pan until the egg mixture that is on top runs down underneath the edge you have turned up. Do this on the other sides as well if needed. Once most of the egg is done add your other ingredients to one side of the egg (not to much though) then flip the remaining side of the egg on top of the ingredients and let it sit for a few seconds or minutes depending on how well you want your egg done.

I hope this doesn't sound confusing! :smile:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Mix a little (2 tablespoons) milk or water into your beaten egg, Use a decent non stick pan and use a tiny bit of oil. If your pan is large them your omelette with be thin and difficult to flip or fold so use a fairly small pan, side plate sized it ideal. If flipping doesnt appeal to you pop under the grill to do the top half of the omelette. I have to do this as I make 10 egg 1.5 inch thick omelettes in a very large pan for a meal for 5 of us and flipping is out of the question with something that size and they always work out perfect.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    First off, go to YouTube and search for a how-to video. There are tons of people who show exactly what to do...basically puts to video what people are saying in text here.

Second, if you are looking for the easy way out, go to Bed, Bath, and Beyond or similar store and buy an omelete pan. You put half the ingredients in each side. The key to using this tool is that you will need to keep lifting the egg with a spatula in order to keep draining the egg off of the top in order to cook the egg. Once the egg has been siphoned completely, add your toppings. Let them warm a little, add cheese now or later, and then you "flip." Now just wait for the ingredients to get hot, and you have an omelete.

If you have toppings that need to be cooked more than what they will get by being added to the omelete pan, then cook them up in a separate pan then add.

I personally went through the task of learning by doing with a regular non-stick pan, and now my omeletes are awesome. Flipping is fun when you get it. ;-)
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Why cant you eat salsa with scrambled eggs? Thats what i put on my eggs almost every morning.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Why can't you just put salsa on top of your scrambled eggs?

LOL! Because I am a freak. I just can't do the texture when the eggs are soft and then adding the mushy salsa. Omlettes are firmer so I feel like they can stand up to the salsa better. Again, I'm a weirdo. :D

Thank you SO much for all the info! I see my downfall: I didn't spray the pan. I used a nonstick, but all it did was make that egg film on the bottom and then the rest just sat there. Not appetizing.

I have to admit, I might get the pan cheater. That sounds right up my alley! It's amazing, I can cook anything but then I get thwarted by an omlette. LOL!
  • ladyj802
    ladyj802 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i hate to say it, but the plastic omlette maker thing that you microwave makes perfect and delicious omlettes. and it's less mess to clean.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Lot of good advice. I make brunch on the weekends for family and friends. I usually prepare my filling in a pan (stuff like shrimp, cilantro, green onions, garlic, sausage. bacon --any combination) I pour my egg mixture in a separate pan, sprayed with pam. When one side is done, flip it. Wait a 30 seconds, pour your mixture inside and fold it over. Then, because plating is important, I usually put some triangles of cheese on top, turn the heat off and place a plate over the pan. After a minute or two, I slide it onto the plate. Putting the plate on melts the cheese on top. I garnish with a sprig of cilantro. Looks and tastes great.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Do the Ziploc method! Use a quart size freezer bag, put in 2 eggs and whatever else you want. Mush it up and put the whole bag in boiling water for about 10 minutes. When it's all done, it slides out in a perfect shape! You can also make these the night before. I've done it with all kinds of meat, cheeses and veggies and it works every time.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    i hate to say it, but the plastic omlette maker thing that you microwave makes perfect and delicious omlettes. and it's less mess to clean.

Yep it's easier, but it's no fun. Chefs make the best lovers. The preparation is the foreplay.
  • marniehodges
    Options
    If you're afraid of the omlette fold, try a different prep. I made my eggs scrambled last night Pam sprayed pan) and added chopped green and red peppers and onions with a little 2% reduced fat sharp cheddar. Delicious and pretty to look at too while going down. Same ingredients as my favorite omlette at IHOP, only smaller portion of course, and scrambled instead of folded. :smile:

Happy eating!
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options

Yep it's easier, but it's no fun. Chefs make the best lovers. The preparation is the foreplay.

So very true! :devil: