Any runners with meniscus issues?

Options
A few years ago I had two meniscus ops and I am now bone on bone. I was thinking of starting the C25K plan but need some running shoes. Can anyone recommend some? I assume lots of cushioned ones would be a good idea?

Replies

• SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend any shoes, but as someone else who's had a meniscus operation (lucky for me it was only a partial tear and removal), I can recommend you look up and practice good running form/technique. You do not want to aggravate the knee any further.

Have you finished with all your physical therapy? Maybe you could ask them for a recommendation too.
  • joeysel
    joeysel Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear from people regarding this too. I have had an operation on my knee which included removing meniscus and identified problems/weakness in a number of ligmanets including my ACL which has left with nervous about doing too much impact exercise like running or squash etc
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I can only speak to my own experience, but I recovered from two severed ligaments and torn cartilage in the right knee with nothing but physio. I don't have full rotational strength in that knee any more & contact sports are a no-no, but I'm cycling, boxing & running about 40 km a week. Ii'd imagine if you're bone on bone you may want to consult a professional as to your options.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    As for running shoes- there's two camps. There's the runners that say you don't need running shoes- and you should run in shoes with as thin a sole as possible- so barefoot running. You can get various barefoot shoes- from the vibram five fingers or the new balance minimus and the like.

Or, you can go to a running shop and get your gait analysed. From there they can recommend what type of shoe you need dependent on how you pronate etc.

...However, as you have a previous injury, I would strongly recommend going to a professional to give you some guidance on how to start. Enjoy C25K if you do take part- it's one of the best programs I've ever done. :)