Rash from Fitbit Flex?

Options

Replies

• ahack
    ahack Posts: 1
    Options
    I've had my FB Flex for a few months. Initially, upon wearing, I had a reaction that was read and itchy. It was around my entire wrist. I changed wrists and the same thing happened. Went to the Dr. and they gave me a steroid cream that wasn't extremely effective. It made the symptoms milder- less angry. The strap wasn't worn tight to my skin, nor was soap or detergent an issue. I stopped wearing it for about a month and the rash went away. I tried it again yesterday, and woke up with a swollen wrist on the arm I wore the Fit Bit Flex. The area wraps around the entire wrist, is very red, and is itchy and sore at the same time. I'm thinking it's less of an allergy to the small nickel clip, and more of a reaction to something else that is in the strap. From what I've read, it doesn't sound like it a pure material... Hoping to find some answers here too.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    I filed a case with Fitbit.com. They worked with me through the issue and ended up offering to replace my Flex with a Fitbit One or give me a refund. I decided to go with the One because I like the product and don't want to give it up all together..the One can be clipped onto a belt, bra, or worn in a pocket. they sent a FedEx label yesterday, and I already sent my Flex back to them. Now, just waiting on the new Fitbit One to arrive.
    Ahack, I suggest you file a case as well. They will work with you. If you go to the Fitbit site, and search Flex rash...you will discover just how many other people this has happened to. And not only with the Flex..people have had the same issue with the Force too!

Edited to add that I tried the advice of a previous poster on using Athletes Foot spray(Tenactin) and it has helped quite a bit...it's definitely still there but I think another week of using the spray might take care of it.
  • HauteHouse
    HauteHouse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this suggestion. I'm a week into wearing my new fitbit force and just noticed that I've developed this same chemical/electrical/whatever rash that others mention. I'm really bummed. I have grown to love this thing and hope I don't have to ditch it altogether. I filed a case with fitbit based on your comments. I'll see how they respond.
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    Thanks so much for this suggestion. I'm a week into wearing my new fitbit force and just noticed that I've developed this same chemical/electrical/whatever rash that others mention. I'm really bummed. I have grown to love this thing and hope I don't have to ditch it altogether. I filed a case with fitbit based on your comments. I'll see how they respond.

You're welcome and good luck! Let us know how it goes. I'm sure they will be as helpful to you as they were with me.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    When you switch your flex to the other wrist does the skin breakout as well? Do you have allergies to latex or similar materials? Have you considered wearing it over some super styling multicolor option wrist band from your local Sporting Goods store? Like many others I take mine off to shower and clean the band and tracker with a lens cleaning wipe.
  • Tina_MFP
    Tina_MFP Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are many posts about it on Fitbit's board.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Force/Fitbit-burned-arm/td-p/3661
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    Yup, I've already gotten my new Fitbit One as a replacement for my Fitbit Flex. Very happy with how Fitbit handled the problem! Hopefully I won't have any weird reaction from the One.
  • amberyors
    Options
    I have the firbit force and have been experiencing a rash under and to the side of where the display sits. I am starting to think it could be an alergic reacting to the metal that wraps around the display and on the side button.
  • robertschlackman
    Options
    I've been wearing my fitbit flex for a little over a week and I just started seeing a rash. But it's not the clasp or the battery. I'm getting the rash in one spot under the rubber. I think it's that fact that I've been wearing it in the shower and not cleaning it at all.

I just put some antifungal cream on my wrist. I'm going to try and wear it looser and see what happens.

It's funny how attached to these things we get!!
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    The antifungal cream should work. That's what worked for me. I started using Tenactin spray and after about 2 weeks, it FINALLY started clearing up and going away. I also started taking if off while showering..it made it much easier than taking The Flex out of the wristband and wiping the inside of the band completely dry every time. I now have the Fitbit One. I, like many others, filed a case with Fitbit and they sent me the One as a replacement since it wouldn't have to go directly on the skin. Good luck.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Anybody tried using a little alcohol or hand sanitizer? My Jawbone UP's instructions said to use a little hand sanitizer (alcohol based) and wipe it off. (I know it's not the same as the Flex, but it works for me. That and it may fit looser?)
    I :heart: my Fitbit though!
  • cdobbs66
    Options
    There was a story on the Fitbit Force causing rashes because of the nickel. The Flex was not mentioned as causing a problem. I have been wearing my Fitbit Flex since Nov. 2013 and I wear it tight and in the shower. I have had no problems at all.
  • stefaniem76
    stefaniem76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had the Fitbit One, and then bought the Fitbit Force, feeling it was an upgrade. I was one of those unfortunate customers who developed a rash. At first I thought it was ringworm, one friend told me it looked like MRSA (idiot) but ultimately I went to the doctor and they said it looked like a fungal infection or allergic reaction. Because it was sore and itchy, I had stopped wearing the Force (not realizing it was the cause)...after 2 weeks without it on, and applying prescription cream, I put the Force back on and was woken in the middle of the night tearing itching on my wrist, with the rash spot completely inflamed. I obviously took the Force off, and that's when I realized it had to be the Force. I googled "Fitbit Force rash" and saw that 4 days prior Fitbit had put out an announcement that some customers were having an issue. I got the email address from that article and sent them a message. They replied within 24 hours and offered me a full refund or replacement product. I already have the Aria and One, and really wanted a wrist tracker, so I said the Flex, thinking since there was no LED, it didn't have the nickel on it like the Force. They let me know immediately that I would have the same reaction from the Flex, so I opted for a refund, which is a bummer. I am hoping they figure out what the problem is soon and remedy it, I would really like a wrist tracker lol
    I can't say enough about Fitbit though, they FedExed my refund check immediately. No hassle or haggling.
  • clukos
    Options
    I have an awful reaction to the force too.. Wore it for 30days.. Never had issues with anything before. It just came about one morning I always took it off for the shower and when I took my shower I noticed it started to itch.. Then I figured it was irritated from my fitbit so I put it on the other wrist was going to switch to my dominate hand on the settings. I googled fitbit force and Rash and sure enough others have the same looking painful itchy red spot. I immediately took it off my other wrist and have just a little spot there now too.. I am 10 days of not wearing it and it looks like an awful burn.. The company is refunding the difference and I am getting the One, but dang it stinks. I bet someone will try a law suit. They I am sure are going to have to put a disclaimer on the two wrist bands. Anyways I am just praying it does not scar. Looks like I will have this thing for another couple of weeks.. People are saying 3-6weeks to clear up.
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    I have a very light scar from mine..but my rash/burn had gotten really big...about 2 inches long and an inch wide. Hopefully your didn't get so big and won't be as bad.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Check the company website, I thought that they offered to exchange them. There was some problem with people developing allergies to the surgical nickel that the back was made of that they were exchanging for something else.
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    What if you put a bandaid on the back of the bracelet? I have one also and keep it pretty loose. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    Yeah, they are exchanging them. I traded my Flex for the One. They were very pleasant to deal with. I think they know they have a lot of upset customers to deal with...and they are really doing a great job to fix the problem! :)
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You might do better with the Fitbit One. It tracks everything that the Force does- but you clip it to your pocket/bra strap/underwear etc. instead. Therefore- no rash issue anymore but with all the benefits of the Force- including sleep tracking.

Good luck.
  • heidi3132
    Options
    I don't wear mine in the shower and i clean it with hand sanitizer after i work out and it has been fine