Fast Food at the Gym??

Options
So the other day, my workout buddy and I were at the gym, working our butts off, and lo and behold, this woman comes in with her kids (she came in to work out and her kids came in to hang out while she worked out, which is fine) but she brought her kids FAST FOOD to eat while she worked out! It made the entire gym smell like french fries and other delicious fried food and burgers! It almost made us leave the gym after our hour long workout and sabotage the entire thing for a measley burger and fries!! I haven't had fries or fast food in a VERY long time, the smell was so delightful....... anyone else ever have this happen? Do you think it's wrong? Do you think fast food should be allowed into the gym?

Replies

• lisamt83
    lisamt83 Posts: 119
    Options
    I was at the gym one time...and this lady was waiting in line to get checked in and she had french fries AND a hot apple pie from Mcdonald's...I thought that was a bit strange! Lol and I don't think fast food should be allowed...to me it should be common sense to NOT bring it in!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    DONUTS-GYM.jpg
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    My gym gives pizza every 1st of the month and bagels ever 2nd week of the month.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    lmao wth krispy kreme
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    I have to say with kids, if the gym allows food in then I don't think it can be monitored where it comes from. I have a daughter who is in food therapy and if we have to buy food while we are out, then chicken nuggets and fries are our only options, a sshe won't eat anything else from a resteraunt. I know not all children are this way, but don't be too quick to judge. As I said my daughter (she's 6 3/4 y/o) is in therapy, but the everyday person wouldn't know that and may judge me.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    LOL on the Krispy Kreme! And, man! There is nothing like the smell of McDonald's french fries!!! That would be pretty tough to take at the gym!
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think food, other than protein bars and drinks (water, gatorade, protein shakes, etc.) should be allowed in the gym!
  • Krimicri
    Options
    My gym gives out free pizza on the first Monday of every month. I pass on it, but it's a big hit with everyone.
  • Krimicri
    Options
    My gym gives pizza every 1st of the month and bagels ever 2nd week of the month.

Planet Fitness member too?
  • GunNut37086
    GunNut37086 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't mean sound overly judgemental, but...

I'd only be at the gym, if I knew and accepted the value of exercise and the importance of good health.

That being said, I would feel like a complete hypocrite to feed my kids unhealthy crap, knowing the affect it had on my health. I can't imagine me caring about my own health, but not that of my children.

Even worse would be for me to bring my kids with me to the gym with burgers and fries for all to see. I'd have to be unbelievably inconsiderate, utterly insensitive, and completely obtuse, not to think of the others working out.

...okay, I maybe I do mean to sound judgemental.
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was leaving the gym a month ago and smelled some fried fast food. I looked over at the gym office right by the front door, and there was the manager eating burger king! Which by the way is right next door, along with 4 other restaurants and a bar.
  • mikeivb
    mikeivb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    it sounds like the issue is the smell? My gym has a policy on cologne/perfume, and i think the same should be with food, that the smell can be distracting or irritate certain people.

I would fill out a comment card if they have one at your gym, or talk to one of the staff about it.
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My gym shares a parking lot with Burger King...I literally have to drive through their drive-thru to park at the gym! Oh and a liquor store is on the other side. You just have to put blinders on...but I agree the smell would either be too tempting or too gross (depending on how 'good' I was being that day). It seems like they shouldn't allow food in the kids area-what about peanut allergies, etc?
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    There is a Toppers Pizza right next to my gym. It is tough to walk out to that smell, but at least I would have pizza cooking time to think about my decision if I ever went in! I can't imagine a McDonalds or BK right there!
  • jamie1888
    Options
    GunNut.... cute AB!!
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My gym is next door to a Bagel Shop/Deli and when I work out in the mornings, the entire gym smells like fresh bagels. Sometimes, after a grueling workout, I would walk right next door and grab a toasted everything bagel with veggie cream cheese. I love my gym but I ended up getting a second membership to another gym for morning workouts (I have to keep my membership at the bagel gym because thats the only place my personal trainer trains). Anyway, delicious smells in the gym are so distracting.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a pain, but what is food therapy??
  • JDetro22
    Options
    mcdonads is my weakness. i could eat it daily if i had the choice... but im not trying to gain weight, im trying to lose it. just thinking about it makes me get a craving. i dont even think my gym allows food inside.... anyone else go to planet fitness and know?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I once visted a high end gym called Sprectum out in Los Angeles that had a bar inside. An alcohol bar, not juice bar.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a gym that was next door to a bakery/cafe and in the early morning the smell of bacon frying would fill the gym! It was tough to keep working out after that! :laugh:

Occasionally someone that works at my gym will bring make fresh coffee and I really want to ask for some! Especially if I'm working out early in the day.