Exercises to do at home ?

Options
Hi,

I am new, and hoping to lose 2 stone by the end of May

I am eating healthy as possible and for the first time eating 5 a day also

I am going to do the 30 day squat challenge but seeing as I work Monday to Friday 9 - 5 and have a 3 year old also it is hard for me to get out and go to the gym,

Can anyone suggest anything to do in the home which is effective as the gym ?

Thank you x

Replies

• helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to lose weight is eat less. You don't need to exercise, seriously.

Of course exercise for cardiovascular health or to build muscle has other benefits.

For cardio you can do jumping jacks or burpies or jump rope or a zumba dvd.

For building muscle (at home) you could look into calisthenics (body weight exercises) such as squats, or maybe buy a set of adjustable dumbbells and look (google) for a full body routine based around dumbbells.
  • devonbaumann1987
    devonbaumann1987 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for gaining strength and flexibility! You don't really have to buy anything, and there are numerous instructional videos on youtube.
  • DevWall44
    DevWall44 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can find exercise videos for free on youtube. I do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and like it a lot.
  • kblifestyle
    kblifestyle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I give some great information about activities you can do at home or near your home for exercise. Check out my blog.

http://naturalred.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/its-more-than-a-resolution-its-a-gift-to-ourselves/

Good Luck To You:)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Buy some weights and use the free online videos on YouTube and the like.
  • misscoastal
    misscoastal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try www.fitnessblender.com loads of really helpful workouts, all separated out into body areas.

I get my 4 yr old to join in sometimes, when I'm doing squats and lunges - she finds it hilarious. And sometimes I incorporate her into the workout, by lifting her up a few times - great for the arms!

Good luck :-)
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Check out the Nike+ Training Club App! They have tailored workout sessions right on there along with videos to show you how to do things. It's all things you can do right at home! I am loving it.
  • Youngandfit85
    Options
    Download the You are Your Own Gym app on your phone and follow the programme ... it takes you through all the exersizes as well as the rest periods.

Easy and very effective.

In my opinion, if you want to lose weight and you are not doing exersizes you are making it very difficult for yourself ...

Remember, its a lifestyle and not a once off ...
  • debbie7373
    debbie7373 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Bump...to check out exercise apps later
  • ahagood11
    ahagood11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree that youtube is the best thing in the world! I do so many different exercises. it keeps things fresh week to week so you don't get bored!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have been using a free AP called daily workout on my kindle. I like it cause it shows a lady doing them too. Less confusing that way.
  • grnchocjnkymfp89
    Options
    I like zuzka light. I'm a member of her zgym online. She has free workouts on youtube too. I also like fitnessblender.com which are free workouts, and try to do a few days a week from both sites. Youtube has a lot of free workouts, as well. I've recently started incorporating Buti Yoga.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do all my workouts at home. My favorite from you tube is Jillian michales banish fat, cardio kickboxing. if u want to do with weights her ripped in 30 days is a good workout for strength. i have a open space in my basement that i use as my "track" and will even jog inside.. jogging in place will even burn calories. so just move move move and u will lose weight along w eating healthy.
  • BonecrusherBrews
    BonecrusherBrews Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    check out nerdfitness.com for great bodyweight workouts.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Try www.fitnessblender.com loads of really helpful workouts, all separated out into body areas.

I get my 4 yr old to join in sometimes, when I'm doing squats and lunges - she finds it hilarious. And sometimes I incorporate her into the workout, by lifting her up a few times - great for the arms!

Good luck :-)

Love fitnessblender!