Trying to become healthier and make some friends.

Options
Hello, everyone!

I'm Ryan, a 24 year old guy who is just trying to lose a few pounds, gain some muscle, and improve my overall health. I'm currently 167lbs at 5'8, so I don't have a lot to lose, but I'd like to improve the look of my body and hopefully stop feeling tired all of the time.

My boyfriend introduced me to this site a few weeks ago, but this is the first time I've really checked it out. It seems like a great resource and something I could definitely benefit from. I'm still looking around to see what all is available, but I figured I'd start by getting to know some people. Friends and motivation are always helpful tools for me!

Goals:
- Drink more water (this is a big one for me, I never drink water)
- Make healthy food choices (nothing processed, little/no sugar, etc.)
- Eat healthy portions (not necessarily counting calories, just not overeating)
- Avoid unnecessary snacking (no more eating out of boredom)
- Walk a few times a week (recovering from surgery so this is all I can do for now)

Thanks for reading! Feel free to add me as a friend, or whatever y'all do around here.

Ryan

Replies

• missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    welcome :drinker:

Congrats on making healthy lifestyle changes! Your goals are solid and there's a lot of good (and some not so much) advice around here.
  • RyanEli
    RyanEli Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much!

At this point, I think the motivation factor is my biggest thing. I'm fairly educated when it comes to nutrition and such, so I'll know which advice is good and which isn't so great. :)
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This is a great site. Its the first time Ive actually stayed on food and exercise plan and alot of it is because EVERYONE is sooo supportive.
  • RyanEli
    Options
    That's awesome, Tess! It's always wonderful to have supportive friends. I'm excited about finally reaching my goals and not giving up like I always do.
  • MorganD84
    Options
    awesome wishing you success!!!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Hi! :flowerforyou:

Glad you joined up... I can actually access this site at work, unlike FB (which I can only access via phone - kind of annoying).
  • RyanEli
    Options
    Thanks, hun. :heart:

Great site, but I'm already spending too much time here. I'm the kind of person who wants to read everything available. FB was bad enough!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Thanks, hun. :heart:

Great site, but I'm already spending too much time here. I'm the kind of person who wants to read everything available. FB was bad enough!

Haha - yeah, some days I spend too much time on here... but I figure, I'd rather be obsessed with this site than something like facebook. At least this site keeps me focused on one of the major goals I'm working on!! :laugh:

Plus, not everything posted on here is worth reading... :tongue: Gotta take it all with a grain of salt. I'd recommend starting here, if you haven't already:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • RyanEli
    Options
    Yeah, I've spent enough time studying health and nutrition to be able to differentiate good advice from, well, not-so-good advice. I'm one of those people who know what they're doing but just can't find motivation. The motivation is here now. :)

I'll check out that link.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Hope you love it here!
  • Bsherrod14
    Bsherrod14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Ryan!
    Good Luck I See You Have Already Made Progress (=