Dieting & exercising, gaining weight!

Options
Im on 1200 calories a day plan, (normally only eat about 800-1000) doing 30mins of cardio every day and i have gained 5lbs in last 2 weeks! Why?

Replies

• Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Calories are way too low, you're eating 800-1000 you say - you may be eating less than that but even that intake is very very low. Up your calorie intake.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Calories are way too low

This. Why would you only eat 800-1000 canls PLUS cardio??
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    obviously eating nothing isn't helping, why don't you try eating to fuel your workouts and your body.. read about TDEE and BMR.. there is a search function here, use that lots of information..
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Im on 1200 calories a day plan, (normally only eat about 800-1000) doing 30mins of cardio every day and i have gained 5lbs in last 2 weeks! Why?

Either, you are not being honest with yourself and are overeating, or you are being too obsessive as your figures say. 800 a day plus cardio exercise? Please... no.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, then you're not eating at a deficit. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • maryspaceann
    Options
    That's all I have ever really eaten, ive always had small appetite , and have always been slim, i gained a stone over the last few months, pigging out on well over 2000 a day but have always been able to drop weight quick, by just eating well and avoiding junk. but this time round with the exercise i have been gaining weight
  • maryspaceann
    Options
    Weigh everything that i eat, am brutally honest
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I agree that 800-1000 a day is probably not enough for the long haul if you're accurate. That said -- any chance this is water weight? Plenty of women vary by up to five pounds over the course of a month thanks to bloating and the like.
  • CathyUr
    Options
    I agree with the others about eating enough, but for me, I have to keep sodium low, too. Carbs seem to be a big problem for me as well. I can hit my calorie goal and do all the exercise I can stand, and if those two things are high I still gain, or at least don't lose.
  • maryspaceann
    Options
    Nah not bloated at all
  • maryspaceann
    Options
    Don;t use any salt in my diet, and keep carbs very low
  • Marina369
    Options
    If this continues, I'd suggest getting your thyroid tested.
  • princessofmilk
    Options
    Maybe you should try taking measurements, you could be gaining muscle weight from the exercise you're doing. Also remember to weigh yourself at the same time e.g. every monday at 10am, because weight fluctuates throughout the day.

Try to stick to clean food (natural and unprocessed) so you still fill up while eating a small amount of calories. Bulk up meals with veggies and chickpeas, snack on fruit, eat porridge for breakfast etc. Avoid refined sugar and refined crabs, they can make you retain water weight. The same goes for salty foods.

You sound like you should be losing weight so I'm confused.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, then you're not eating at a deficit. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

THIS.

And..

THIS AGAIN.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Open your diary
  • maryspaceann
    Options
    Im so confused too, I don't eat any junk, it's all natural and fresh food i eat, ive cut out alcohol , exercise , weight myself at same time every sat when i get up, i think it might be tyroid problem because i used to be able to drop lbs before without any effort .
    Thanks all for the advice!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Nah not bloated at all

Bloat doesn't just come from salt. Your cardio is using muscles and you muscles need water. They're going to hold onto a bit, especially when you first start. But it's not fat, so don't stress over that

Having a small appetite doesn't mean you're eating enough. 800-1000 calories is not enough even for a person in a coma. You've added not only a daily routine to that, but also cardio, which DEFINITELY means you're not eating enough (Or you're logging very inaccurately and are actually eating too much)

If you really are eating just 1000 or less calories, you need to up them (unless there is a medical condition that you cannot). Eat more calorie dense food. A big salad for around a hundred calories is going to fill you up more than a handful of nuts for a bit more calories.
    I really really encourage you to eat more. There are a lot of side effects to eating too little, such as fatigue, losing hair, Even weight GAIN
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Im so confused too, I don't eat any junk, it's all natural and fresh food i eat, ive cut out alcohol , exercise , weight myself at same time every sat when i get up, i think it might be tyroid problem because i used to be able to drop lbs before without any effort .
    Thanks all for the advice!

It doesn't matter what you eat. If you eat too much, you gain weight.
  • brcossette
    brcossette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ask a doctor or weight loss professional
  • gerritvb
    Options
    Also if you didn't normally exercise before, your body may be adding some muscle, even if you're only doing cardio. This assumes you are going from literally zero training to 30 mins a day, though.