HELP!! I'm so confused!

Options
2»

Replies

• jen_ny_113
    Options
    The fact that the OP isn't burning 1000 calories while working out and should assume a number closer to 500 has already been discussed, and without calling her efforts into question. You'll also note she accepted this and will be only eating back half of the calories she's burned from now on and will report back in a month or so with her findings (an update I look forward to)

All of this was established before your first post. Which I don't mean in rude way, just in a 'we've gone over this let's not further muddy the water when the OP is already stating that she's confused.' Way.

*thumbs up* :)
    You literally said everything I wanted to say lol

Actually I think I shouldn't have said I "browse" my phone because what I really meant was just that I look at videos on youtube, or streaming movies online :P

I will be sure to come back with an update soon! (hopefully a very positive one)!
  • jen_ny_113
    Options
    I have never heard of "eating your exercise calories back" when you're trying to lose weight. I don't go with the 1200 calorie rule either--I'm 5'7.5" and feel that 1200 calories a day with exercise isn't enough to give me the energy I need for a good workout. What I do is figure what my calories would be to maintain my ideal weight (135 lbs) and shave 250 calories off that and try to exercise 4-5 days a week (I usually walk on the treadmill on my off days while reading or watching my favorite show just for some activity). I don't count my exercise calories burned as calories to eat--it's just a bonus to add to my weight loss!

I'm 148 lbs now started at 155 lbs December 28th. Unfortunately, I'm a yo-yo dieter and I I have to lose 10-15 pounds every year so I'm somewhat of an expert on getting it done. 155 lbs is always my top weight and then I have to lose it. Losing is always harder than maintaining--I tell myself that when I'm gaining but my emotions always take over. Also, I always use a food and exercise journal. If I don't have time, I will figure the numbers in my head (calories from food) and write them down on a scratch piece of paper. It's better to over estimate your calories eaten than under estimate. It's when I stop counting my calories that I gain weight. I cut out all sugar and simple carbohydrates and load up on lean protein, complex carbohydrates (vegetables, whole grains, beans, legumes) and GOOD fat (olive oil, coconut oil, avocados--your body needs those good fats and you won't be as hungry) Also, I eat NOTHING after dinner usually 6 pm is the cut off and exercise in the morning on an empty stomach. I eat breakfast of course but somewhat delayed. That's my strategy and it always works.

Wow, it's great that you're doing good with weight loss and have found a way that works for you! Hopefully with the suggestions from others I will be able to as well!

But I am suprised you haven't heard about eating you're calories back! Maybe this link will help explain if you're interested

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/539912-why-eating-exercise-calories-is-so-important
  • trying18
    trying18 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok you all seem to know a lot and hope will offer me helpful tips
    I have been with MFP for 2 yrs, 1st year I lasted only a few mths and I am back again.
    I am 54, workout everyday for 1 hr- 3 days NROLFW + 20 mts of HIIT and 3 days of aerobics ( one of the machines at moderate effort) and 1 day of yoga.
    I eat about 1400 cal daily.
    I am not loosing anything and it has been 4 weeks.
    Do i eat 1200 or do i eat more
    i am veg so The max protein i can get is about 55gm/day
    I am 5'3" and weigh 139.6 ( weighed this morning and sad0
  • lauranarro
    Options
    But I am suprised you haven't heard about eating you're calories back! Maybe this link will help explain if you're interested

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/539912-why-eating-exercise-calories-is-so-important

Okay, I this explains why eating back your exercise calories could rev up your metabolism, I get the concept. However, I would say that most people are going to under-estimate their daily caloric intake and over-estimate their calories burned from exercise--that's why some people on this weight loss blog complain that they are on a strict 1200-1400 calorie a day diet and exercise 500-1000 calories per day and still are not losing weight--that's just impossible.

Sometimes it's really hard to guess-estimate how many calories in your meal, unless you are eating packaged foods 24/7. I think that's why people get stuck. If you don't eat back your exercise burned calories, it will eventually even out. I mean, your going to have really good days with good calorie estimates and some days (possibly weekends) your going to eat a little more or under estimate. If your treadmill is estimating that you burned 530 calories, you really don't know 100% that number is correct and if you really burned 350 calories and eat back 530 you will be eating more than you burned.

I think of exercise as a healthy part of my life and even when I'm eating too much and gaining, I'm also exercising--I don't just exercise to lose weight. Your body will tell you if your working out too hard and not eating enough--workouts will become very difficult. I jog on the treadmill and do interval. I also lift weights and do squats and I have no idea how many calories I burn but I know it makes me feel great!