Long Road for me..

Options
Hi,

I have battled my weight off and on my entire life. I've always been an active person. As a kid I was in a marching group for 9 years, dance team, jogging and still I was always heavy. As I got older I added calorie counting to make sure I was eating within a healthy range. Older still, I've kept up with health guidelines, eat nothing fried, low cholesterol, high fiber foods. I keep my fat and carb count low and use almost no salt and when I do its sea salt.

By my forties, not only was I battling my weight but numerous health problems, me Bp went way up, I suffer from extreme muscle cramps, I became anemic, and more and no one knows why. My BP is now controlled with meds. And after YEARS of asking could my thyroid be off, an ultrasound was done and they found a mass the size of a golf ball.

So, that's where I am now. I had a hemi thyroidectomy last year, recently they found a mass in the remaining half. I'm on Levothyroxine and they are still trying to get the levels right, and I still battle my weight and fatigue and severe muscle cramps. I'm here to try and do all I can to get some of the weight off, and regain my health. I'm still very active now with grand kids.And want to be around for a long time and able to be active. In September I'm going on my first ever cruise!! I want to look as good as I can on the beach. So, anyone else around who battles health issues that effect their weight?

Replies

• nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Hello there!
    Sorry for the health issues but glad they are finally on the thyroid problems for you. My father-in-law just had the same procedure done.

I haven't dealt with similar issues, but I'm here to help encourage if you need it.

Funny how lives are different. We are almost the same age and I have two little ones and you have 6 grand kids (I'm assuming from your name). :)

Nancy
  • Proudgranny6
    Proudgranny6 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes I do! I raised 4 kids, and now have 6 grandkids whom I adore! I've been married to my HS sweetheart for 31 years. And I'll take all the friends and encouragement I can get :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. If you're still not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

MFP has a "Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism" group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • Proudgranny6
    Proudgranny6 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "Eat back half my exercise calories"?? I'm not sure I understand that, seems counter intuitive. But I have noticed, a couple off times, my stuff will say I'm not eating enough calories.
  • aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 40 and I have pretty good health, but I do suffer hip pains and they are made worse by walking (one of my favorite hobbies). My daughter is almost 18, I have been with my husband for 10 years and I am now a regular gym lover (2 hours a day, 5 days a week, work permitting).... It's not easy to lose weight and exercise when your health is letting you down, sometimes when I go to the gym I can't sleep that night for the pains in my hips, but I have been told by my doctor and physiotherpaist that I am safe doing what I do and I am always very careful....

Please feel free to add me, I logon every day and I am generally very active online xXx
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    "Eat back half my exercise calories"?? I'm not sure I understand that, seems counter intuitive. But I have noticed, a couple off times, my stuff will say I'm not eating enough calories.
    If you're using the MFP defaults http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided then you must eat back at least half your exercise calories. That's how MFP works—your deficit is built into your calorie goal. If you've customized your goals so that your exercise is already factored in (for example, TDEE - 20%), then you don't eat back your exercise calories.