Dog walking

Options

Replies

• mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yes - when the weather cooperates. Right now, its just too cold out there for her (and me!). I log when I walk or run her. I feel bad right now that its so darn cold, as she really wants to go for a run. It will warm up soon enough and we'll be back out hitting the pavement.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are getting a dog this spring. Can't wait! We already have a cat, but you know, you can't walk a cat. :)

My cat often follows along when I take my dog for a walk.

And I am still walking my dog 3X a day even with the cold weather we're having. This morning was -37C with the windchill factored in. She doesn't mind it.

I was logging it until I got a FitBit. Now if I exceed a certain calorie burn per day the extra calories burned are added automatically. Other than some biking, and weight lifting it is my main source of exercise.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have a pug who really likes to stop and sniff everything. He is slow as old hell when we go out for walks, so if I log anything it is usually less than one third of the total 'walk' duration
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 year old pitbull. I definitely log all of my calories burned with him. We walk between a mixture of hills, flat roads and trails. We go out on walks an average of 4 times a day at an average of 70 minutes per walk. I definitely get a great workout!

Wow so you walk over 4 hours a day? Where do you find the time?
  • Mz745Li
    Options
    I have a really pretty white/grey brindle pit bull named Chyna. She's still a puppy at 57lbs and not so fun to walk because she pulls. I'd love to walk her more just to get her trained at it but between the rain and the cold weather here in Georgia, it hasn't been possible. I think that once she gets the hang of it, she'll be my outside workout partner!
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with everyone else in that it's too cold to go for an actual walk (More for me than my dog! He loves winter). Right now I just play fetch with him and wander around the apartment yard, which I don't count. In the summer though I go to an off-leash dog park with hiking trails, and I log that. It's always great for both of us! I can't wait until it warms up so I can hike the trails with my HRM on.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Who here has dogs? Do you log your "dog walking" calories burnt? I love the fact that I can do something I really enjoy (apart from lately, when it's rained and rained and rained), and it's good for me too.

1530492_10151779040210213_1911677213_n.jpg

If those are your Border Collies, then yes by all means log those walks. I know all too well what those walks entail! I have two of them!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that your dogs are adorable.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Who here has dogs? Do you log your "dog walking" calories burnt? I love the fact that I can do something I really enjoy (apart from lately, when it's rained and rained and rained), and it's good for me too.

Got a heeler mix here, she's great. However no, I don't log those calories, they're just part of my daily activity level.

I also have a heeler mix, and she loves to walk/jog/run. I just listen to what my fitbit says about how many calories I burn, etc. and use the TDEE method to determine how much food I should eat. Easy.
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Only when we run, which is most weekends assuming the temperature is above 0 F!
  • kballard66
    Options
    I have two dogs and walk them when the weather cooperates and I log it when I am able to walk them.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    YES! Even if its just a quick 5 min run. If its intentional exercise, its logged :)
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I have two dogs, but I don't log my dog walking calories, even if we're out for an hour. I consider the dog walking time their time, and I usually let them just meander and sniff whatever they want. As well, lately has been so cold we're just going out to do business and coming in.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have 4 cocker spaniels :) I use runkeeper to track my walks and the dog expeditions definitely count
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Options

1530492_10151779040210213_1911677213_n.jpg

If those are your Border Collies, then yes by all means log those walks. I know all too well what those walks entail! I have two of them!

And my little JRT, slightly out of shot; my youngest BC, he's 3, we even run together and definately log those calories. He's a hell of a cardio partner.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have a lab/aussie mix named Spunky, who just looks like a white lab.

I use a bodymedia armband that automatically keeps track of calories burned through exercise, so if I am moving enough for it to register as exercise on the armband, then it is automatically logged. My walks usually count as moderate exercise... though a few of my tougher hikes also gave me a few minutes of vigorous exercise.

Right now my walking partner has a limp on his back leg, so it will be a short easy walk if we go at all.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    For all of the people saying it is too cold...unless it is 0 degrees out it shouldn't be an excuse. It is a great way to get out in the winter months. As long as the dogs are running around they should be fine, just pay attention to them. Every weekend I have them out snowshoeing with me. I even took them out 2 weeks ago when it was -15 windchill. They didn't seem to mind at all. They were both panting when we got back to the car
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    While I do walk my dogs they are not great for exercise type walks,

One is a bulldog and is potentially the only creature on earth that has less stamina than me. So I get about once around the block and I feel like I should have a wagon to carry her home.

The other is a chihuahua - he could walk for hours but then we have to stop every 5 seconds for someone to ask "OMG how old issss heeeeee?"

That said - I LOVE walking him at the beach :D
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've worked my dog walks into my TDEE- it's been really easy, since I have a Fitbit. Our Siberian Husky is so high energy it's ridiculous. We average 4 miles a day, even with the cold weather we're having right now. He's loving the cold and snow sooooo much, it really cracks me up to see him jump around and roll in the snow while I'm just trying to keep up in my heavy snow boots.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I don't log dog walks, although I probably could. I have a german shepherd, alaskan malmute mix. That is one strong dog. I get a total body workout in with him.