Weighing daily is OK for some!

jamie1888
jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I see a lot of posts about people asking if it's OK if they weigh in daily. The general rule has been that it's best if you weigh in once per week. However, there are also some theories that suggest weighing in daily can be beneficial.

It's a personal choice and whatever YOU decide to do IS OK!!

Here's an article from WebMD:
http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20051118/daily-weigh-in-may-help-dieters-lose

Nov. 18, 2005 -- Making friends with your bathroom scale just may help you lose those extra pounds and keep them off.

While most weight loss programs don't encourage the practice, a new study suggests that daily weighing may be better for weight loss and weight control than weekly or less frequent weighing.

People in the study who weighed every day lost more weight or maintained their weight better than people who did not.

The early findings must be confirmed, but researcher Jennifer A. Linde, PhD, tells WebMD that daily weighing may serve the same function as keeping track of daily food intake and exercise.

"People who make lifestyle changes consistent with weight loss use all kinds of tools to help them," she says. "Daily weighing provides feedback. It may be one more thing that someone can do to keep them on track."

Daily Weighers Lost Twice the Weight
Linde and colleagues at the University of Minnesota examined the self-weighing practices of more than 3,000 people for two years. About 1,800 were either obese or overweight and were enrolled in a weight loss program. The rest were overweight and enrolled in a program designed to keep them from continuing to gain.

About 20% of the people in both studies reported never weighing on their own and 40% said they weighed either weekly or daily, according to Linde.

In both the weight loss and weight control groups, people who weighed themselves daily lost more weight than those who weighed less frequently.

People in the weight gain prevention group who weighed themselves less than once a day tended to gain rather than lose weight during the study.

Daily weighers in the weight loss group lost twice as much weight as weekly weighers -- an average of 12 pounds vs. 6, Linde says. People who never weighed on their own gained about 4 pounds.

The next step, Linde says, is to test the findings in a larger study in which people are assigned to different self-weighing schedules.

Daily Weighing Not for Everyone
It is clear, however, that some people shouldn't weigh themselves every day. Constant weight monitoring is common among people with eating disorders. And Linde says unpublished research suggests that daily weighing may not be a good idea for people who are clinically depressed.

"We would not want to encourage a behavior that is symptom of an eating disorder," she says. "But for reasonably healthy people who want to control their weight, stepping on a scale every day might be one more tool they can use."

Daily weighing is not encouraged at Duke University Medical Center's Diet and Fitness Center, its director, Howard Eisenson, MD, tells WebMD. He says the issue of when to weigh remains controversial in weight loss circles. But he adds that he can see potential advantages for some people.

"I don't think there is anything in the treatment of obesity that is absolute," he says. "There are some people who shouldn't get on the scale once a month, but others may be well served by daily weighing."

Dieters following the Weight Watchers International program weigh in each week prior to meetings. The program discourages clients from weighing on their own at home while they are trying to lose weight, says spokeswoman Karen Miller-Kovach, MS, RD, because daily weight fluctuations can be discouraging.

Miller-Kovach, who is chief scientific officer for Weight Watchers, says people tend to obsess about the numbers early on and can end up elated or discouraged based on what they see on their scale each day.

"During weight loss people are psychologically looking for big changes," she says. "The bathroom scale is really not going to reflect what is going on."

But Weight Watchers does encourage members trying to maintain their weight loss to weigh often on their own so that they can identify significant changes early.

"The studies show that the best time to take action is as soon as the weight starts to creep back up," she says.

Replies

• lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    ugh... i found it frustrating, i would ultimately lose 3-4lbs a week but i would fluctuate during the middle of the week...

gain, lose, gain, lose
  • I do it. I keep track of my weight every day in a spread sheet along with my fat percentage, calories eaten and burned, as well as they type of exercise I do (cardio/strength). That way I can compare what works for me over time, scientifically, not to mention that I can adjust quickly if my weight starts to go up. Personally, I believe more data is always a good thing... At the very least, it makes my trend-line more accurate so I can make reasonable goals that I'm less likely to fail at reaching.

I can see how it's not for everyone, but you've gotta do what works for you. =)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    LOL - If you wanna drive yourself bonkers - weight every day!
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 494 Member
    I agree, and I quickly learned that weighing myself on a daily basis made me absolutley crazy because of the flucuation from day to day. I will say I do weigh myself like every other day...but I don't log it until it's been at least a week. Seeing the number going down does motivate me to keep moving and eat healthy. I love looking at my "progress" report going down down down....LOL
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    I agree - it all has to do with what your mindset is. I find daily fluctuation somewhat interesting and not discouraging. I might weight daily or several times a day for a bit then not weight at all for a week or longer. I only report / log about once every week or so though.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    I personally like to weigh in @ least every 3 days, preferably every day or every 2 days. I need that constant reminder to keep my *kitten* moving & to stick with eating healthy. If the scale goes down I'm in a great mood & I have motivation for my eating & workout that day. If it goes up I'm a little frustrated but I still have the motivation I need! My weight can fluctuate HUGE in a week, so if I weigh only once a week I can get horribly off track.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    If it works for some people, that's great.

But I don't agree that daily weighing is especially accurate in understand and monitoring one's daily caloric intake and exercise routine. If I eat an extra 200 calories today it won't may slightly affect my weight tomorrow morning but it's not likely to affect my weight in the long run and it's the same for exercise. If I work out extra hard today I won't see a noticeable difference in my weight tomorrow. All that will be seen is the normal daily body weight fluctuations. And for a lot of people seeing those differences, seeing weight go down one day only to go up a couple tenths of a pound the next, is extremely frustrating and confusing.

And that's why I weigh myself twice a week. I can see the beginning effects of my routine up to that point and I can adjust my eating habits and exercise accordingly. Although, even that is somewhat confusing. I generally weigh myself before and after the weekend. After the weekend when I don't go to the gym or stay strict with my calorie goal, I find I lose 1 pound, sometimes a little more. During the rest of the week when I go to the gym 5 days, eat healthy and stay within my calorie goal I find I only lose .5 pounds, if that.
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    I weigh EVERYDAY....I also have a spreadsheet that includes calories I consume and burned daily. I need to see it!!!

After 2010 I am weighing once a week to make sure I am maintaining my weight....
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Like so many other aspects of weight loss, I agree with the article that everyone should do what works for them. Like a previous poster said, if my weight goes up one day, it motivates me to work harder. If my weight is down, I'm encouraged and keep doing what's working. If daily fluctuations are frustrating to you, don't weigh everyday!
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    For me, daily weighing is essential, it's like when I was in School. If the professor told me we should be doing 1 research paper per week but that he wouldn't collect them until the end of the semester, then I'd spend the whole semester enjoying my time off, and the last week trying to push through to get 10 research papers done in 1 week.

With weekly weighing, I'll think I'm doing fine, miss a day of counting cals or hitting the gym, or 2, or 3, and by the end of the week I've gained 3-4 lbs. At that point I either try to kill myself at the gym the next day to get back on track, or get discouraged, give up and go back to enjoying eating out big meals like I always have.

I weigh myself everyday and round off to the 1/2 lb. I weigh myself naked on a medical style scale (with the sliding weights) at the same time in the morning every day after I've urinated and before drinking any water and it's pretty damn consistent. It rarely goes up (if it does, it's usually because I cheated the day before and I know it), most days it doesn't move or it drops, but it sure as hell keeps me honest.

In the past I have always been an "occasional weigher" and I know for a fact that this time, weighing every day has made a huge difference... just look at this graph from the last 4.5 years.

range_109697.png?count=1290105133
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Agreed that it's TOTALLY okay for people to weigh in daily if the practice is motivational. More often than not, the posts in the forums are from people who are de-motivated by their daily weigh ins.

Charmagne
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    I find daily weigh ins can really help to keep me focused. Also, if it's my "official" weigh in day, and my weight is up for some reason, it's a lot less frustrating if I know that it was lower over the past few days. That's me. I know that for some people. a daily weigh in would be crazy-making. We're all different, so you've gotta do what works for you. :)
  • I weigh in daily! In keeps me on track :)
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Daily weighing is not for me. I tend to give up to easy if the scales is not moving downward. I will weigh daily when I get to my goal and need to maintain. They say allow yourself no more than a 3 lb window. Don't let it slip up on you. I wish I had done that with the last 40+ lbs I regained:embarassed:
  • mrtrik
    mrtrik Posts: 31
    Not just daily, but often times pre and post workout to make sure I'm not losing too much water.

My workouts can be one hour runs, or 2 hr bikes.... and 3-6lbs of water loss is not uncommon. Need to make sure i get that hydration back.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    i weigh myself daily. sometimes several times a day. it doesn't bother me much and i use it as a guided compass...either i need to do better or continue what i'm doing. no biggie.
This discussion has been closed.