New!

Options
Any tips or ideas I'm listening! Just joined our towns weight loss challenge. Friend me, I'll do the same. Have a big job ahead of me!

Replies

• RightNowNotMonday
    Options
    my biggest tip beside working out and eating healthy is to log ALL of your calories. Use myfitnesspal to your advantage!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    -Log every single thing you consume.

-Don't eat back all your exercise calories that MFP gives you (notoriously high) but do eat at least half.

-Don't try and change everything at once-one thing at a time is usually more easily sustained.

-Don't think of this as a diet and you will eat "normal" once you lose the weight-think of it as changing your lifestyle and make the changes things you can live with forever. That way you can maintain any weight loss.

You can lose weight by eating fewer calories and not exercising but you will look better, feel better and be healthier if you exercise. Find something you enjoy doing-exercise doesn't have to be torture. Good luck!
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Stay positive! You may have some days where you may 'cheat' or your weight may fluctuate due to your the changes you are introducing to your body; don't get discouraged. Stay the course!
  • Kanndj
    Kanndj Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi there,

I am new here too. I am struggling with time and money in losing weight, so hopefully, someone here can help me from their experience. I agree that this has to be a commitment for life. If not, the weight will come back if I stop exercising or go back to eating too much or the wrong stuff. However, I know that has to be realistic, for me, at least right now,. Saying I will never eat any sugar would be so depriving, but I can certainly cut back and make a treat just that, an occasional treat, rather than a daily thing.

Anyway, I have found my biggest challenge right now to be that I work from home and am paid on production, meaning I make more if I work more hours. We are struggling financially (another goal is to get a handle on our budget/finances), so I find myself opting for work rather than exercise or time to prepare healthier foods, and of course, work is very sedentary. If anyone here faces that challenge and has any ideas, I would love to hear from you. I do like the suggestion here to not try to change everything at once. My first goal is to exercise only 15 minutes a day. Then, my goal will be to add to that.

If anyone has had success where time is money, I welcome any comments or tips!! I can't wait to start using this site more.
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate in that I can do 45 minutes of water aerobics every morning, not everyone can do that. But it really burns the calories. I am semi retired so that helps. I do work from home with my own business which makes my days sedentary so the aerobics helps. I also ride my bike in the park where I live. If any of you live near a school or other facility with a pool I would definitely look into water aerobics. It is good to burn calories and at the same time it is low impact for the joints. Being a senior this is very important to me.

Something you can do as crazy as it seems is put on some music and dance through the house while you are doing housework. Hey anything to burn the calories.
  • Kanndj
    Kanndj Posts: 25
    Options
    Hey Nancy,

I like the dancing through the house idea. If I had time for housework, I would certainly do that! :happy: Again, when deciding to work for an hour or clean, work just keeps winning. Having money to pay to have a dirty place to live beats having no place to live at all house. I do break down and wash some dishes every so often, but dancing around while doing that could get dangerous. LOL! However, I will keep looking for ways to keep moving. I know we all have to decide how to spend the hours in the day.

I used to love to do laps at the local YMCA (and was 30 pounds lighter then too), but due to the monthly cost (even the low one they prorated due to our income) and the time consumed with having been wet and rinsing off the chlorine, we had to drop our membership. I have recently found Leslie Sansone's walking program, and I really like her. I like that I can walk with her at any time of the day or night (and sometimes I am working at 3 a.m.) I keep telling myself that I could stop working every 2 hours and do one of her 15-minute mile, which would add up to maybe 4 miles a day, but it seems to never happen. Hopefully, reading of the success of others, will help me with putting ideas into action. Thanks!!
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I keep telling myself that I could stop working every 2 hours and do one of her 15-minute mile, which would add up to maybe 4 miles a day, but it seems to never happen. Hopefully, reading of the success of others, will help me with putting ideas into action. Thanks!!

Do a 15 minute mile twice a day to start, instead of every 2 hours. Once you do it you will likely feel better (maybe less stressed too), and then it's a positive outlook (Hey, I walked two miles today) rather than setting the bar too high to start
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My biggest tip would be to log on everyday, use the community, and add friends. The support is really nice here.
  • lindagullikson
    lindagullikson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you, It does seem to help, logging every day. I'm really committed this time, and I have the time now to apply myself. Thanks again for the tips!