Is it normal to gain weight at first?

Options
I started this a few weeks ago, and I have actually gained weight. It seems like no matter how little I eat, anything over 1000 calories a day causes gain. I have talked to my doctor, had my thyroid and testosterone checked. I always get the same results....everything looks normal. Then I get into the mode of "What the hell is the point? If I eat what I want, or diet, I get the same result" Anyone?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Did you log what you were eating before you started? Do you have any idea how many calories you were eating before you started logging here?

What are you doing, exercise wise?
  • faeriecake
    faeriecake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Make sure you start by measuring every thing. Get a little food scale, or just use measuring cups. I often overestimate how much I'm eating unless I measure it. Keep track of everything you put in your mouth, especially drinks, such as coffee, and the sugars you might be adding to said coffee! Also, make sure you're getting enough fiber (in the form of fruits and vegetables) in your diet... because, well, you can figure out that reason.
    Also, weigh yourself once a week, and at the same time every week (i always do it sunday mornings). Your weight will fluctuate throughout the week, which can be disheartening if you weigh yourself every day.

Things that will prevent you from losing weight:
    Lack of proper nutrition (not enough healthy fruits and vegetables)
    beer. beer. beer. beer. beer.
    sodas/energy drinks/ too much juice.
    sodium in prepackaged foods. Lean cuisines and whatnot are filled with it. Avoid at all costs!

things that help you lose weight:
    meals high in vegetables, with lean proteins. You want at least half your plate to be full of vegetables.
    Whole grains, such as whole grain pastas or brown rice or quinoa.
    Lots of water!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    How have you been logging your food? I took a peek at your diary, and with the exception of today, it's empty.
  • rmeder4545
    Options
    Great information!!! I guess I left out an important fact. My start date is not my join date. I happened to download this app when I got my new smartphone, but never used it until now. I pretty much was using an old diet I had done in the past, that I had lost 50 lbs on before. This time, it was not working at all. I am also about 10 yrs older now. I guess I thought I could do it on my own, with no luck. I also was walking 4 miles a day, which my knees will no longer allow. I cleaned out my gym, and will start with some moderate weight lifting, and recumbent bike. I guess I just had to hear it from you guys! I am impressed with the quick responses, and look forward to taking this journey with some new friends and support! Thanks.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, then you're not eating at a deficit. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. If you're still not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I started this a few weeks ago, and I have actually gained weight. It seems like no matter how little I eat, anything over 1000 calories a day causes gain. I have talked to my doctor, had my thyroid and testosterone checked. I always get the same results....everything looks normal. Then I get into the mode of "What the hell is the point? If I eat what I want, or diet, I get the same result" Anyone?

No. Must try harder.
  • thatguyiniowa
    thatguyiniowa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, I started going to the gym when I started using MFP and gained a few pounds that stuck for a few weeks. They have since dropped off. Just keep plugging away and you'll see them disappear.
  • rmeder4545
    Options
    I will!!! Thanks
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you were already eating at a deficit and your diet hasn't really changed (in terms of what you are eating) you probably won't experience an early scale loss from water weight.

If you were at a deficit (e.g. a fixed calorie diet) and started using MyFitnessPal and started eating back exercise calories (i.e. a fixed-deficit rather than fixed-consumption diet) then, assuming estimates for calories consumed and calories burned are correct, and you are still eating at a deficit, it is possible any fat loss isn't registering on the scale yet because you have had, as I call it, a "weight adjustment" due to more food in the digestive tract, possibly some water weight (including muscle glycogen), etc.

If you have reduced activity levels, the scale may go up at first if your muscles were glycogen depleted until they recover, before the scale starts shifting again.

If you have increased activity levels, the scale may go up (I also label this a "weight adjustment") because of muscle glycogen/water weight plus, if eating at a fixed-deficit, more food in the digestive tract (and depending on diet, possibly more sodium consumption).

Then there are natural weight fluctuations that add to the issue. Double-check your numbers (calorie expenditure and calorie consumption), and if you are sure you are in a deficit give it another couple of weeks to see if the scale and/or tape measure responds, if it doesn't look back at your data and see if there is anything that pops out as a possible cause.

Last week I expected the scale to go up by 2-5 pounds because I did 3 1-hour runs, 77 miles of walking, and lifted 3 times (a big increase in activity) and, although my deficit was the equivalent to 1.4 pounds, I registered a 0.4 pound loss on the scales.

It takes time to get the data to know what you are doing is working, although the more things you monitor (weight, measurements, progress pictures, skinfold measurements (e.g. Accu-Measure), body fat analysis, food and exercise journals, etc.) the sooner you should know if things are working.

Having said all that, even after 63 weeks I still can't predict what will happen when I get on the scales or take my measurements on weigh-in day.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I saw a couple of days of logging and I have no idea how you are eating so little. My guess is you should be eating about 1800 calories per day minimum. What you are logging is not sustainable. Good luck!
  • rmeder4545
    Options
    Wow, impressive! There is a lot of good people on here, and seems like a lot of experience. Just what I need. The answer, is no, I was not eating at a deficit. Just in my mind. I would eat extremely light for a few days, drop a pound or two. Then get really hungry, eat a big dinner or lunch, and gain 3 to 4 pounds back.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    See, you've gained some valuable insight about yourself. Work on logging everything you eat accurately & honestly. You can do this!
  • rmeder4545
    Options
    Thanks for the support :)
  • rmeder4545
    Options
    Crazy!!!! weighed in after a week and a half, and lost 10 lbs. next three days...nothing!
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. All that matters is a downward trend.

Did you read this? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

PS. With 25 lb. to go, your goal should be set to .5 lb. per week. The closer you are to goal, the more slowly you lose. Congratulations!
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This is always a great read, and I keep in mind every time I'm tempted to go below 1200 calories. It's a long post but explains very clearly what's going on with your body when you eat too little and what the process will be like. And yes, you will gain weight at first, until your metabolism realizes it's not in starvation mode.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • rmeder4545
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. All that matters is a downward trend.

Did you read this? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

PS. With 25 lb. to go, your goal should be set to .5 lb. per week. The closer you are to goal, the more slowly you lose. Congratulations!
  • rmeder4545
    Options
    Thanks!!!