1,100 NET calories - Too Low?

Options
I know that the lowest I can set my food calories to is 1,200 but if I shoot for 1,100 Net calories, would I still be starving myself? Usually I burn an average of 500 calories a day. Any advice? :)

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I know that the lowest I can set my food calories to is 1,200 but if I shoot for 1,100 Net calories, would I still be starving myself? Usually I burn an average of 500 calories a day. Any advice? :)

Advice? Unless you are three feet tall, there is no reason to go that low on calories. Set reasonable goals that can be sustained for the long haul.

It is a lot of reading, but there is a ton of great information in it. Read it all.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • mell0wg0ld
    mell0wg0ld Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    lol okay cool - this was actually a question for a friend I will pass along your advice

Advice? Unless you are three feet tall, there is no reason to go that low on calories. Set reasonable goals that can be sustained for the long haul.

It is a lot of reading, but there is a ton of great information in it. Read it all.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1,100 net is too low. Don't try to shortcut this, you didn't put the weight on overnight, it won't come off that way either. Just set a reasonable goal and stick to it.

Rigger
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    If I see another topic along the lines of this one I will cry.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You should be getting about 1500 net at minimum!
  • mell0wg0ld
    mell0wg0ld Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone - she did not believe me that it was too low so your posts will help prove my argument :)
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I have been a member for a couple years now and my average calorie intake at the beginning was about 1300-1350 and I did 45 minutes of cardio every day. I was never hungry and I was not starving myself. I ate what I wanted that fit in my macros. I am the healthiest I have been in many years. What works for one isn't the best for everyone. This worked for me, but doesn't mean it will for anyone else. Good luck.
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You should be getting about 1500 net at minimum!

Nope!

It depends what your goals are. How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What is your body fat%? What is your goal? Lose fat? Gain Muscle? What is your activity level?

All these things are factors when determining how many calories you should be putting into your body. MFP doesnt account for this which is why theres a lot of confusion on the message boards and fights about how much people should be eating and whether or not everyone is in starvation mode.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    So, consuming 1700 calories? Deficit is basically dependent on existing body fat, adherence, goals and time. If the person is obese 1700 is fine for a period of time, say 4 months, then making adjustments.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    There is no way at all you only burn 500 cals a day. Even if you are in a coma your body burns more than that to keep your body functioning.
    As a rough guess your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is more like 1850-1925.
    Find out what your's is here: www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator‎
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    How many times the same question?............................
  • BeautyDoll
    BeautyDoll Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    People are new to the site every day. The purpose of the site is to provide support. Skip over the question if you've seen it before and stop being a grouch.
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    How many times the same question?............................

Seventy Bajillion?
    People are new to the site every day. The purpose of the site is to provide support. Skip over the question if you've seen it before and stop being a grouch.

Stop telling everyone what to do.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well, I did it "the wrong way" and netted way to low for about 3 months. I lost fast and it felt good, but it wasn't the smartest thing to do. Then I upped my calories gradually to what I am at now, and continued to lose at the same rate, eating more food. That definitely felt better.