Firming Skin and Healing Stretch Marks

Options
Does anyone know the best way to tone and firm skin back up and treat stretch marks after losing the weight? I'm not there yet, but I'd like to know if there's something I can be doing now to help my skin as I lose the weight. I've heard that Vitamin E oil helps, but I'm not sure if that's true. Thanks a bunch! :smile:

Replies

• bubblez_x3
    Options
    I asked my Dr. this same question because of all of the spendy creams out there she said just to use Vitamin E oil so that's what I do..
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I'm looking into this for my lose skin:

www.thermage.com
  • suchaprettiface
    suchaprettiface Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Taking Vitamin E complex (alpha, beta, gamma tocopherol mix), MSM really helps a LOT (and is not the same as being allergic to sulfa drugs), but you need to take it regularly, and at higher doses like 1,000 mg capsules - 3 caps 2 x day or 2 caps 3 x day (look for OptiMSM on the label - Jarrow Formulas has a good price on MSM), and BioSil 10 mg/day (either caps or liquid). I used to own a vitamin store, but now am just working on losing excess weight, and these supplements have been helping me, and I have a significant amount of weight to lose. As always check with your doctor before starting any supplement program.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If you don't lose the weight too fast (more than the recommend amount of weight loss in a given period of time), your skin has amazing elasticity an will tighten up as you lose. As far as stretch marks go, I'm not sure if they can be completely resolved, but Cocoa Butter and some Sun exposure to the area worked great for correcting skin discoloration/blemishes.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Every morning when I get out of the shower I lather on a good moisturizer with vitamin E oil in it from my chin to my toes. I also have that "Bio Oil" for the few rather troublesome areas with stretch marks . . . and am seeing improvement in them actually. The Bio Oil was actually for a burn mark scar but Im now using it on my stomach and hips where I have some stretch marks and am now a beleiver in it. I've been doing this only for the past few months too.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be trying an anti-aging facial moisturizer that encourages natural collagen production. I'm going to be getting Yes to Blueberries products (yestocarrots.com) for my face to prevent wrinkles. I have a really great moisturizer right now that pretty inexpensive. It's called Derma-E and it's all natural. It has vitamin e and vitamin a in addition to lots of other great things. It works great on my face and lasts forever so I'm thinking about trying it on my tummy for those pregnancy stretch marks.
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The general rule of thumb is the faster you lose it the more excess you have and the slower you lose it the less you have. However, it really depends on how much you weigh and how much you are going to take off. If you are really big (BMI 30+) and lose a lot of weight you are going to have excess skin and there is really nothing other than surgery that can remove the excess skin. Also a lot of insurances will pay for these surgeries if you had a significant weight loss.