A New Challenge

Options
I am sure there are topics in here related to weight lifting for beginners however I have some specifics I would like to mention and see what is recommended.
I am looking to get into a more regular weight lifting program along with the running I love to do. Right now I dont have a particular routine set up for weights I just go about using the machines until I feel my muscles burn :s
As I mentioned I enjoy running and there is times I feel like after a workout unless I run my normal routine I dont feel like I have worked out.
I want to begin weight lifting but not where it leaves me motionless and cannot run the next day (this has happened plenty of times when I go about doing weights my own way)
Either way if I would like to balance the running and weight lifting what is recommended?
I appreciate the advice in advance thank you :)

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    A beginner free weight full body programme like Stronglifts 5x5 should work fine - there are only 3 sessions a week which only last around 45 minutes each so you will have plenty of time to fit your running in too.

Begin very light to get your body used to the movements. The programme recommends starting with the empty bar (20kg/45lbs) but you may want or need to start lower than this for some of the moves.

You may ache after the first few sessions if the moves are new to you but this should happen less once you're used to the routine.
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That sounds very interesting thank you so much, I will definitely look into the Stronglifts 5x5 program. Thank you so much for the recommendation! Much appreciated!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    You will be able to find details online about the routines. It's also helpful to watch lots of youtube videos and guidance notes on proper form too. Starting Strength (book or Kindle download) is also a good source of info for beginners to lifting and also has a similar routine.

Good luck to you :)