Is being skinnyfat that unhealthy?

Options
I'm 21 and I'm in college. I'm really broke right now and can't afford a lot of verity in my diet. A normal day goes something like this:
- Wakeup and make a 4 egg omelet with cheese and some random veggies or I have corn flake cereal with whole milk
-Go to class and eat a terrible meal for lunch, something like fast food or ramen sometimes I'll have a sandwich. I'm working on eating more sandwiches but it really is hard to set that up so I can bring it with me to campus and have it taste good by the middle of the day.
-Go to the gym every other day and work out for 45 minutes to an hour with a friend
-Eat something like spaghetti and meat balls with a salad for dinner
-Overall I probably walk several miles in a day and up a lot of stairs. I'm never really out of breath even with a heavy backpack.

I eat large enough portions of this stuff that I'm not hungry and I look rather fit actually when I'm fully clothed. The doctor has never said there is anything wrong with me. At the same time I do look pretty scrawny with no real defined muscles anywhere but my arms like the definition of skinnyfat when I have my shirt off.

I'm working on building more muscle tone and it seems to be working albeit slowly. I'm not really trying to be some cut body builder dude. I just want to be a fit and healthy guy. Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

Replies

• Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    skinnyfat?

I am not sure I understand the question
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing well to me. It's better to build muscle slowly than not at all. Plus, it sounds like you are eating good sources of protein regularly. If you are or start to lift heavy weights regularly you might like the changes. I remember how pumped I was the first time I felt a 'bump' where my tricep muscle is:)
  • 404namenotfound
    Options
    Skinnyfat is where you're not overweight but you're still kinda "fat". I'm really out of shape but I'm fortunate enough to not gain weight. Shaggy would be skinnyfat.
  • PudgyFellow123
    PudgyFellow123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    if you're referring to visceral fat, yes it's very dangerous.

http://www.realjock.com/article/1165

it's more dangerous because you can't see it. It's what British people refer to as toffees. soft on the inside, lean on the outside.

If you want to get muscle, I've got the perfect link for you.

Steve Cook is a legend in my book. Check him out.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/steve-cook-big-man-on-campus-12-week-college-trainer.html
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what sort of workout do you do at the gym?

and dont worry, you wont get ripped by accident!!!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Normal weight obesity (a normal body weight - usually predicted using BMI - but a high body fat percentage) does carry escalated risk of health problems.

If that describes you then it is worth seeking to lower your body fat and also increase lean mass (although highly advisable this is not essential.)

If by skinny fat you mean not looking like a fitness model but simply having a normal physique which results from an active and healthy lifestyle then don't worry about it. Skinny fat is in many cases driven by vanity messages rather than health messages.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You could do worse than looking into compound lifts.

http://eserv.co.uk/irl2/strength-training-for-beginners/

You don't need to do any other exercise if you keep your eating in check (don't eat too little and don't eat too much).
    what sort of workout do you do at the gym?

and dont worry, you wont get ripped by accident!!!

Yep, if only!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Tagging to see potential butthurt over the use of the term "skinny fat" by the OP to describe the OP.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Have you had your body fat tested in some way? I look skinny fat but I guess most of my problem is really just loose skin as my home scale puts me at around 23% bf which is healthy.
  • 404namenotfound
    Options
    I have not had my body fat tested where would I do that?

My body fat is most apparent in my gut. I have a layer of fat over my abs that I can easily grab when sitting down. I don't really have love handles or any of that. I'm not a really bad skinnyfat guy but I believe it describes my body type pretty well. I was in really good shape a few years ago then I stopped working out and I lost about 10 pounds but I know I lost more muscle than that and it has been replaced with fat on my gut. I guess really I look pretty "average" for guys my age but that doesn't mean I'm healthy given how unhealthy everyone is now. This picture is a little gross (close up of a man's gut) and although it isn't me it does a good job describing what I'm talking about http://propanefitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/IMG_7206.jpg

As far as my workout goes I lift with a friend and occasionally do cardio stuff. We have slightly different goals but I wouldn't mind being in his position. We do 3 sets of 8 per workout with 6 different workouts targeting 2 muscle groups a day. So something like 3x8 bench press then 3x8 inverted sit ups, then back to something else that does chest and so on. Next day would maybe be legs and triceps.

On a related note I know I'm not going to get ripped without a lot of work. I don't really want that anyway. What I really want is get some sort of abs back, have somewhat defined pecs, and have somewhat muscular arms. My friend is actually at that point and he smokes, drinks, and eats terrible food. I know he is unhealthy but I actually think I can achieve what I want image wise, what I'm worried about is my long term health and if I could be going down a similar path. Maybe working out enough negates the health problems from eating ramen/McDonalds/Jimmy Johns on a regular basis.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bleh, skinny fat is the most obnoxious term to hit the fitness world--makes me cringe. When did it become an official thing?
  • 404namenotfound
    Options
    Bleh, skinny fat is the most obnoxious term to hit the fitness world--makes me cringe. When did it become an official thing?

I think its a good term for what I have going on. I'm skinny but deep down I eat like a fat person and sometimes I feel fat. I also have a gut even though you can't see it when I have my shirt on.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's what British people refer to as toffees.

It's TOFI - Thin Outside, Fat Inside :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOFI
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Skinny-fat doesn't mean no muscles. It means abnormally high bodyfat percentage (over 30% is considered over ideal) for a normal or low BMI. Basically, just because you are an average weight doesn't mean you don't have too much fat that can still lead to serious health risks.

If you are average or even "scrawny" you aren't skinnyfat, you are average or skinny. Underfat has it's own set of health risks.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have not had my body fat tested where would I do that?

My body fat is most apparent in my gut. I have a layer of fat over my abs that I can easily grab when sitting down. I don't really have love handles or any of that. I'm not a really bad skinnyfat guy but I believe it describes my body type pretty well. I was in really good shape a few years ago then I stopped working out and I lost about 10 pounds but I know I lost more muscle than that and it has been replaced with fat on my gut. I guess really I look pretty "average" for guys my age but that doesn't mean I'm healthy given how unhealthy everyone is now. This picture is a little gross (close up of a man's gut) and although it isn't me it does a good job describing what I'm talking about http://propanefitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/IMG_7206.jpg

As far as my workout goes I lift with a friend and occasionally do cardio stuff. We have slightly different goals but I wouldn't mind being in his position. We do 3 sets of 8 per workout with 6 different workouts targeting 2 muscle groups a day. So something like 3x8 bench press then 3x8 inverted sit ups, then back to something else that does chest and so on. Next day would maybe be legs and triceps.

On a related note I know I'm not going to get ripped without a lot of work. I don't really want that anyway. What I really want is get some sort of abs back, have somewhat defined pecs, and have somewhat muscular arms. My friend is actually at that point and he smokes, drinks, and eats terrible food. I know he is unhealthy but I actually think I can achieve what I want image wise, what I'm worried about is my long term health and if I could be going down a similar path. Maybe working out enough negates the health problems from eating ramen/McDonalds/Jimmy Johns on a regular basis.

Wait.......you can only grab the fat over your abdomen when sitting down?
  • MNBardsley
    MNBardsley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    SkinnyFat = Not fit

If you want to become skinny, you take in less calories and up your cardio. If you want to put on muscle, you take in more calories and lift weights.

Being skinny, you will want to do more muscle-building to fill out and maybe add a little cardio (like 1 day) since you already walk, climb stairs as part of your everyday life. Try and eat protein with every meal (keep it as lean as possible i.e. chicken, cans of tuna, milk, lean lunch meat, ground turkey, fish, lean red meat like sirloin or 93/7 ground beef). That will give the fuel to put on muscle and then progressively lift heavier weights with lower reps.

Being broke and in college is a small obstacle but you can buy decent food if you try and shop the sales.
  • 404namenotfound
    Options

Wait.......you can only grab the fat over your abdomen when sitting down?

I can while standing up too I just get a lot less of it. This would be easier if I could post a picture. Would that be appropriate?
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Lift some weights :)
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options

I think its a good term for what I have going on. I'm skinny but deep down I eat like a fat person and sometimes I feel fat. I also have a gut even though you can't see it when I have my shirt on.

Can't we just say "out of shape" like we used to before this cutesy term was invented?

I'm not sure what it means to "eat like a fat person."
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Out of shape can describe a lot of different things and can be dependent on different factors (out of shape in having low strength or having a poor cardiovascular system or being too fat or too skinny, etc.) Skinny fat, as others have said, specifically describes a person with a low amount of LBM despite being relatively slim. Thus their body looks more flabby and soft (fat) despite measurements describing absolute size being similar.

So no, out of shape is too general. That is like saying a person with a disease and a person with cancer are both sick. It's true, but entirely different things, usually.