Veggie Suggestion?

Options
Hi. Not a huge fan of veggies but well aware that I need to change and increase my veggie and fruit intake. I need to up my fiber, potassium and other vitamins...naturally. I know mushrooms will be a popular answer but I cannot stand them. I can barely stand the smell to cook them for my husband and I can taste them if they get "slipped" into my food. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are actually not one of the higher fiber ones.. its more the green ones so broccoli and the like.. not corn (corn is kinda useless) but any of those are good items... Just find veggies you like and start adding them.. they even make some spray butter that doesn't have calories you can use on them to add some more flavors.
  • hdg1822
    hdg1822 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will have to find that spray butter. I think that would help me out a lot.
  • lpeace2u
    lpeace2u Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, asparagus, cabbage and zuccini are some of the favorites in our house. There are so many ways to prepare them. Search for recipes you like. We make an "unstuffed cabbage" with ground turkey which everyone loves, even the teenagers. We put all kinds of veggies on our grill with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and are delicious.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There are so many options out there! Specifically for the nutrients you listed, here are some good options:

Fruits: bananas, oranges, raspberries, pears, apples, strawberries, figs, raisins, apricots and tomatoes

Veggies: white potato with skin, artichokes, winter squashes (acorn, butternut, buttercup), peas, broccoli and sweet potatoes

Also: almonds, legumes and whole grains like buckwheat, barley and oat bran
  • agamache12
    Options
    Baked brussels sprouts are delicious! I know I sound crazy and up until a few months ago (before i had even tried them) i would have thought i was crazy too but i assure you, it's worth a try. Add a little extra virgin olive oil, salt , pepper & a sprinkle of garlic powder and they are a delicious side dish to go with any meal.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Spinach is your best friend. So versatile culinarily and so incredibly nutritious that it's almost obscene.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I always add tons of veggies to homemade brown fried rice and to bolognese sauces for pasta. Also, have you tried roasted veggies? They're delicious. :)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Spinach is your best friend. So versatile culinarily and so incredibly nutritious that it's almost obscene.

I like spinach - and you can hide it in stuff if you don't care for it that much
  • Margiewar
    Margiewar Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try stir frying bok choy, celery, and onions and than make a chow mein sauce with sherry, cornstarch, a little garlic and ginger to taste, a little chicken broth and it's delicious.
  • hdg1822
    Options
    Thank you all! These are some great suggestions. I will have to work on adding in the spinach. Sounds like it is a great place to start along with some of the fruits and other veggies listed. I appreciate the help!
  • jorralee
    jorralee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    frozen peas! Add them to your fried rice :D
  • hdg1822
    Options
    Thanks. I do like peas. That would be a great way to get them more in my diet!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    FYI - Spray butter does have calories. But because one spray has less than 5, they can label it as 0 calories. I used to use it a lot, but I haven't been recently.

Roasting veggies with a little oil makes them really tasty. Broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, asparagus, zucchini, all delicious.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I go with spinach (usually in some scrambled eggs..maybe with some diced tomatoes), broccoli and cauliflower (steamfresh bags; hated the stuff as a kid, but now I love them as a side, just nuke, cut them a bit, and some salt), and green beans.

One thing I would suggest is if you want to add a vegetable to your diet, but haven't or don't like it, search out some recipes. Sometimes the way it's prepared is everything.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Weird duplicate post. Sorry.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions! (And I second the suggestion for roasted veggies - really brings out the flavour! And spinach is super easy to "hide" in things like smoothies if you don't like the taste.) Are there veggies that you particularly like? I found that really helped me when I was trying to increase my fruit and veggie intake. Rather than trying to eat things because you "have" to, focus on healthy veggies that you actually like and then have fun trying new recipes with them!
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    My new favorite veggie is Brussel Sprouts... Always swore I hated them then I had the baby ones in the butter sauce (green giant)...now I can't get enough. I make them all sorts of ways. Roasted is the best with some onions. peppers olive oil and spices.
  • MrsBrown424
    Options
    Have you tried green smoothies? They're surprisingly and amazingly delicious. My current favorite is blueberry/banana/kale.
  • hdg1822
    Options
    FYI - Spray butter does have calories. But because one spray has less than 5, they can label it as 0 calories. I used to use it a lot, but I haven't been recently.

Thanks for this info!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Roasting veggies with a little oil makes them really tasty. Broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, asparagus, zucchini, all delicious.

This ^^ Just about any vegetable is great roasted. There are some vegetables that I only like roasted, such as brussel sprouts.

Stir fry is also a good option. Putting vegetables in soups, chilis and stews is also a good.

If you like mashed potatoes, try mixing equal amounts of cauliflower, turnips and potatoes to lower the carb and calorie count and add more vegetable variety. The potatoes have a stronger flavor so the taste isn't much different.