This doesn't make sense!

Options
So last week I was working out like crazy and eating about 1,000 calories a day. I didn't lose a pound! So this week I only worked out 2 days so far and have been a little lax in my counting of calories so I know I've had more than 1,000. I just weighed myself and I lost 2lbs! What????

Someone help me!

Replies

• JulieTX86
    Options
    maybe you were putting your body into starvation mode by only eating 1000 calories & working out. That seems pretty low. Now that your body knows food is coming in it feels okay letting go of some of the fat. Same thing w/ water consumption, the more you drink, the more your body realizes it has an incoming supply so it quits holding on to it so much. Drinking more water in effect helps you quit retaining water. :)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Thats an easy one! You will not lose weight unless you EAT enough. Your body will hold onto it and you won't lose an ounce. I am only 5'4" and MUST eat 1200 calories on days that I relax, and at least 1350-1400 on days I exercise or the scale wont budge.

You must eat at least 1200 calories per day, it is not healthy to consistenly consume less than that.
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Works for me that way too. So I figured that since I found something that works, keep doing it until it doesn't work anymore. I throw in *****ing about it too and that seems to kick it up a notch. :)

You can look up on the internet as to why this happens if you like. I found it. However, now I'm just working out like crazy some days in a row, and not expecting any loss, and then when I stop doing it for one reason or another and eat a little more than usual, I'm pleasantly surprised. Bottom line: it works.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    For 1 you should not eat less than 1200 Net calories (1200 + calories burned through exercise). That being said when you workout hard, increase intensity or begin a new program your muscles retain water to aid in recovery (eventually they will get use to it and no longer retain as much water). Most likely what you saw was your muscles retaining water last week and this week the water was shed as you did not workout enough for them to need as much.
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    maybe you were putting your body into starvation mode by only eating 1000 calories & working out. That seems pretty low. Now that your body knows food is coming in it feels okay letting go of some of the fat. Same thing w/ water consumption, the more you drink, the more your body realizes it has an incoming supply so it quits holding on to it so much. Drinking more water in effect helps you quit retaining water. :)

I agree with this...:happy:
  • dudleyvic
    Options
    When you first start out the weight takes about 2 weeks to start showing. I don't know why. Example: I've been watching my food for the first time ever and exercising like made and it took me 3 weeks to start seeing the weight change on the scale. If you watch your body or do measurements you will have noticed that there were changes made, just not on the scale yet.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    i agree i think you need 1200 calories a day minimum
  • Strawberry79
    Options
    Eating less than 1200 calories a day puts your body into starvation mode. That means that it is trying to conserve every little thing you've got and everything you put into it. Eating more calories this week actually allowed you to lose weight because your body didn't feel the need to hang on to them.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You definitely have to eat more. the recommended minimum daily calories is 1200 net, which is calories consumed minus calories burned.
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thats an easy one! You will not lose weight unless you EAT enough. Your body will hold onto it and you won't lose an ounce. I am only 5'4" and MUST eat 1200 calories on days that I relax, and at least 1350-1400 on days I exercise or the scale wont budge.

You must eat at least 1200 calories per day, it is not healthy to consistenly consume less than that.

That is not what happened. He was working out and gained lean mass.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

I think the information here will help you. :flowerforyou: You gotta eat!!
  • mollymom
    Options
    I agree, I have been consuming around 500-600 calories a day, working out on the treadmill for 30 minutes every day and stomach crunches every day and this week I have not lost a pound. In fact, I have gained weight! Whats up with that?
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    When preparing your food and serving it: NEVER "eyeball" measure. ALWAYS: use an exact measurement with individual measuring cups for that portion and MEASURING SPOONS. Level the cup or measuring spoon off with a spatula or knife.

WEIGH: the food on a digital food scale before cooking it.

The key: PORTION control, portion control, portion control.

Remember: the teaspoons or tablespoons in your eating utensils are NOT exact measurement sizes.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options

Sike ?? :huh:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have been consuming around 500-600 calories a day, working out on the treadmill for 30 minutes every day and stomach crunches every day and this week I have not lost a pound. In fact, I have gained weight! Whats up with that?

Your question was already answered, you are in STARVATION MODE. Quit before you kill your metabolism and can't recover.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    For 1 you should not eat less than 1200 Net calories (1200 + calories burned through exercise). That being said when you workout hard, increase intensity or begin a new program your muscles retain water to aid in recovery (eventually they will get use to it and no longer retain as much water). Most likely what you saw was your muscles retaining water last week and this week the water was shed as you did not workout enough for them to need as much.

DITTO
  • kewkdb
    Options

Sike ?? :huh:

There are many posts on the forum that refute the fact that you have to eat your calories especially your workout calories. All the posts list scientific studies as well. MFP is shaping you based on 1 goal: Lose 2lbs a week and all the goals you are given are to ensure you lose only 2lbs a week. MFP does not want to be held responsible for anything that happens to the people that want a more hardcore weight loss. IE 5lbs-6lbs a week people and many people WILL set those goals if they were available.
  • erickirb
    Options

Sorry to tell you but you are not going to gain lean mass on a diet of 1000 cals, unless you are taking some serious (steroids) supplements.
  • erickirb
    Options

Sounds like you may have an ED, you may want to seek help if this caloric intake is "normal" for you.
  • kewkdb
    Options

Sorry to tell you but you are not going to gain lean mass on a diet of 1000 cals, unless you are taking some serious (steroids) supplements.

Are you saying that you cannot gain lean mass from burning stored up calories?