Struggling ...need help!

Options
Hey guys :) Here I am a 29 years old in love with gummy bears. They are my ruin! I'll tell you my story making it very short. I was once doing many sports, I stopped, I gained weight, I stayed overweight for many years. Last Feb after some bad stuff happened in my life I found the motivation to finally lose the extra kilos. I reached my goal weight (47kg, I'm 1,5m high) and I was happy. Then Christmas happened and some other stressing things. I didn't regain a lot (only 2 kg) but I'm worried because I lost control.
The hardest thing for me is not eating healthy, I always did. I need motivation to exercise even when I'm tired and life happens and I need motivation for portion control (if I don't exercise, being so short and tiny my amount of calories for maintenance is EXTREMELY LOW, about 1100 cal/day, so I gain easily and it's immediately visible).

I need pals in maintenance to motivate me! Girls with a low calories intake are especially welcome! please, please, help! :D

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    How did you get 1100 as maintenance for you? I'm working it out at 1300-1500, and that's at sedentary. You'd have to be about 4'5 to have a TDEE of 1100.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    yeah..lets crunch some numbers

need..
    -height
    -workout Xs/week
  • Its_Tina_Betch
    Options
    I think we would be great buddies!
    I am currently maintaining around the same weight as you (103.4 as of this morning) and I'm about 5'2.5 with low maintenance calories!
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm 5'4, so my maintenance is a bit higher, but I'm big on clean eating and can relate to the temptations of gummy bears! :P
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no way your maintenance is 1100. You calculated something wrong. Just because you might maintain your weight at 1100 doesn't mean it's your true maintenance. It just means your body has adjusted to having too little. I have maintained before on 800 calories, but that doesn't mean it's my true maintenance.

Edit to add: this is probably why you gain easily too, because you eat so little. Your body clings to whatever extra calories you give it and stores them because it knows it doesn't usually get enough so it needs to hold on to whatever it can.
  • theresap1031
    theresap1031 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm a sugar hound too. I allow myself one vise. Mine is coffee with cream and sugar in the morning. If yours is gummy bears then make sure its withing your sugar intake for the dy and then ban all other sugars. Trying to give up the thing you love the most will only make you miserable.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    you can order sugar free gummy bears online but apparently they make you poop a lot
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hey guys :) Here I am a 29 years old in love with gummy bears. They are my ruin! I'll tell you my story making it very short. I was once doing many sports, I stopped, I gained weight, I stayed overweight for many years. Last Feb after some bad stuff happened in my life I found the motivation to finally lose the extra kilos. I reached my goal weight (47kg, I'm 1,5m high) and I was happy. Then Christmas happened and some other stressing things. I didn't regain a lot (only 2 kg) but I'm worried because I lost control.
    The hardest thing for me is not eating healthy, I always did. I need motivation to exercise even when I'm tired and life happens and I need motivation for portion control (if I don't exercise, being so short and tiny my amount of calories for maintenance is EXTREMELY LOW, about 1100 cal/day, so I gain easily and it's immediately visible).

I need pals in maintenance to motivate me! Girls with a low calories intake are especially welcome! please, please, help! :D

It is impossible for your maintenance to be that low unless you have done some extreme damage to your metabolism over the years through anorexic behaviors. It's pretty rare for someone's BMR to even be that low.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    you can order sugar free gummy bears online but apparently they make you poop a lot
    They would END your gummy bear addiction, though!
    mamahannick is right - "I gain easily" probably means "I haven't read up on replenishing glycogen stores, and I panic when I see the scale tick up a bit right after I increase my calories." OP, your "maintenance" level is probably artificially low. This great post explains it well.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071202-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut
  • Emmie090281
    Options
    well if you wanna quit eating gummy bears just look up what they are made which is gelatin.. Gelatin is protein obtained by boiling skin, tendons, ligaments, and/or bones with water. It is usually obtained from cows or pigs. Gelatin is used in shampoos, face masks, and other cosmetics; as a thickener for fruit gelatins and puddings (such as Jell-O); in candies, marshmallows, cakes, ice cream, and yogurts; on photographic film; in vitamins as a coating and as capsules; and it is sometimes used to assist in “clearing” wines. Gelatin is not vegan. However, there is a product called agar agar that is sometimes marketed as “gelatin,” but it is vegan–it is derived from a type of seaweed.
    seriously Google it find out for your self.. you would be really surprised what alot of food is made up of that people eat,,
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I am a couple of inches taller, but I am also older than you, so my calculated BMR for my goal weight is 1148 and my TDEE (the estimated amount of what I should be able to eat) is only 1377. I want to exercise, but somehow I don't get around to it. The only time I manage to stay consistent with exercise is when I join a class so I am expected to be somewhere at a certain time - and then someone else drives me to work harder than I would have driven myself. You might try that, or find a friend who wants to get together with you a couple of times a week to workout together, just make sure that they don't have a - let's just skip tonight - type of personality, or that may not work. :smile:

Congrats on getting to maintenance and good luck with staying on track.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    How did you get 1100 as maintenance for you? I'm working it out at 1300-1500, and that's at sedentary. You'd have to be about 4'5 to have a TDEE of 1100.

14xfl0w.jpg
  • LALALA28115
    Options
    That Amazon review grouping is my FAVORITE thing to read on a bad day. Love it! :)
  • serenere
    serenere Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Guys, please, do not panic :) I am not anorexic or anything. I have never had any eating disorder. What I gave you is my BMR calculated by my nutritionist doctor, not me, in a well-know and serious clinic. Of course exercising my calories intake will rise. Apparently I have a slight thyroid dysfunction, but since is not THAT serious and I don't want to take any medicine for that, I prefer exercising to fasten my metabolism. That is also my doctor advice. Of course the situation get easily difficult if I do not exercise, that is what I meant when I said that I gained easily, this is not my perception, but facts. You can believe it or not, but as a short woman with a slow metabolism it's easier to gain weight. If you still don't believe that I can survive very well with 1100 -1200 cal a day, please do not add me as a friend but do not criticize without knowing the facts :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Guys, please, do not panic :) I am not anorexic or anything. I have never had any eating disorder. What I gave you is my BMR calculated by my nutritionist doctor, not me, in a well-know and serious clinic. Of course exercising my calories intake will rise. Apparently I have a slight thyroid dysfunction, but since is not THAT serious and I don't want to take any medicine for that, I prefer exercising to fasten my metabolism. That is also my doctor advice. Of course the situation get easily difficult if I do not exercise, that is what I meant when I said that I gained easily, this is not my perception, but facts. You can believe it or not, but as a short woman with a slow metabolism it's easier to gain weight. If you still don't believe that I can survive very well with 1100 -1200 cal a day, please do not add me as a friend but do not criticize without knowing the facts :)

BMR is not the same as maintenance....
  • serenere
    Options
    Yes, I know, I said it wrong in the first message. I meant that my BMR is low, of course the number that I gave u is not maintenance but calories burned just breathing :)

Ok, I'll give you some numbers:

height: 150 cm
    weight: 48kg goal: 47kg
    my BMI now : 21.9 :) I'm in the middle of the green healthy weight :)
    workouts : 30 minutes 2 times a week.

When I can I also go running on Sundays if the weather is good, but it's not a given.... so what do u think my maintenance calories could be?
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    with a goal of 103 working out 2x/week for 30mins (thats like sedentary)

your BMR is 1155 - not suggested to go low than this

your maintenance or TDEE is at 1300ish-1400ish
  • serenere
    Options
    Oops...did I write 21? I don't know if I typed it wrong or if it was just my inner dream. I am 29. :D

Thank u for the answer, that is close to what my fitbit app says, I guess I'm doing it right then.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You're right that being short means you need fewer calories. But the 1200 calorie number came about because it is difficult to get the nutrients you need with fewer calories a day, not because you magically go into starvation mode below 1200 regardless of what your actual requirements are. Most of the daily nutrient recommendations, like vitamin requirements, are independent of your size.

For a sedentary 21 year old your size:
    Your BMR value is 1284. This means that your body will burn 1284 calories each day if you engage in no activity for the entire day.
    Your daily calorie requirement is 1541 calories.
    These calculations are for a female of 21 years of age with the height, weight and lifestyle you specified.

Age is a very important part of the calculation. So you can indeed drop below 1200 as you age. That doesn't mean you have no place to go between starvation mode and weight gain. It means you'll have to make every calorie count by eating a nutrient dense diet, or else that you'll have to exercise. For a sedentary 90 year old woman your size
    Your BMR value is 961. This means that your body will burn 961 calories each day if you engage in no activity for the entire day.
    Your daily calorie requirement is 1153 calories.
    These calculations are for a female of 90 years of age with the height, weight and lifestyle you specified.

Add activity 5 days a week at age 90:
    Your BMR value is 961. This means that your body will burn 961 calories each day if you engage in no activity for the entire day.
    Your daily calorie requirement is 1490 calories.
    These calculations are for a female of 90 years of age with the height, weight and lifestyle you specified.,

Obviously, if you're going to be that active at age 90, it's not a great strategy to be sedentary at age 21 ;)