Portion Control RE: Unsupportive Spouse

Options
2»

Replies

• rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I find a lot of these posts about "unsupportive" spouses are silly...it comes down to you wanting it or not and using that as an excuse.
    [/quote]

^^this!^^
  • pandabagpuss
    pandabagpuss Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your comments, they are really helpful. :-)
  • noratas
    noratas Posts: 49
    Options
    My husband also loves to cook, so on his meal days, I ask for his menu plans in advance and either work them into my calorie allowance for the day, or I suggest modifications that would be healthier and more diet friendly, or I tell him to count me out and I just eat something else. He doesn't always like it, but I'm not going to overeat just to spare someone's feelings.
    As for snacking, I know my family's peak snack times and I usually plan to either munch on fruit/veggies or plain popcorn if I'm in the room at that time. For me snacking is more about the repetitive hand-to-mouth movement, so while I love junk food, I find I'm almost as happy with a crunchy alternative.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Hi

Sorry if this isn't on the right board, but I'm looking for some advice on portion control when I share meals with someone else who's not currently watching his weight. He often cooks as he enjoys doing it but it means I have less control over how big portion sizes are. Any advice for me please?

Also, do you have any tips on ways to distract yourself when someone is eating cake/chocolate/biscuits next to you all the time? He knows I'm trying to watch what I eat and I don't think me trying to eat healthily means he shouldn't eat what he enjoys, but I find it hard not to join in!

Finally, any advice on how to increase my fruit/veg intake?

Many thanks

Sally

Pretty simple.

1. I doubt he is shoveling the food into your mouth, so just stop eating when you have had enough.

2. Have some cake, and be mindful of #1 in the process.

3. Buy fruits and vegetables, consume said fruits and vegetables.

Rigger
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    There's a portion control plate you can buy, and if he serves you, he can use the plate as an example.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=portion+control+plate&tag=mycroft16-21&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1634&creative=6738

I know, I've been in the same boat as you.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    There's a portion control plate you can buy, and if he serves you, he can use the plate as an example.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=portion+control+plate&tag=mycroft16-21&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1634&creative=6738

I know, I've been in the same boat as you.

My five year old nephew has one just like that.

PS: You can pile those little plates pretty high :)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Hi

Sorry if this isn't on the right board, but I'm looking for some advice on portion control when I share meals with someone else who's not currently watching his weight. He often cooks as he enjoys doing it but it means I have less control over how big portion sizes are. Any advice for me please?

Also, do you have any tips on ways to distract yourself when someone is eating cake/chocolate/biscuits next to you all the time? He knows I'm trying to watch what I eat and I don't think me trying to eat healthily means he shouldn't eat what he enjoys, but I find it hard not to join in!

Finally, any advice on how to increase my fruit/veg intake?

Many thanks

Sally

Tackle 2 at once....snack on some veggies. Sometimes I just want something to nibble on, something crunchy - I've taken a liking to snap peas lately!! At first I was appalled at the $4 price tag on them, but if I compare it to a $4 bag of (name brand) chips - the snap peas last longer than the bag of chips I can finish in 2 sittings, and is better for me! Baby carrots, pre-wash and chop other veggies, too - I like to also snack on celery sticks, bell pepper strips, cucumber slices, but I am not likely to eat those when they are sitting in the fridge unwashed, un-cut/peeled, etc. So I do all the prep work and store in a container in the fridge. I'm especially bad at snacking while cooking, but if I have one of those, I just snack on that instead.

Load up your meals with veggies, even breakfast - I saute/steam some zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, etc (whatever you like) to have as a side, or I pre-cook a quiche with tons of veggies in it. Lunch and dinner I have at least 2 different veggies. Make the veggies a main part of your meal. I use fruit as an addition to my cottage cheese or yogurt (plain), as a snack.

I know it's hard when someone you love makes your meal, and gives you way too much, but plan ahead at the start and cut part of the portion that you think is too much and put it to the side - I keep it for lunch for the next day. No different than eating at a restaurant that has bigger portions than you'd prefer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Eat off 9 inch plates. A full 9 inch plates looks better than a 13 inch plate with the same amount of food.

Don't be afraid to eat "fun" stuff. Just learn to take control of actual portions. You're not going to avoid it forever right? So learn how to deal with the portions now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chancie72
    chancie72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Is he a confident man? I know my hubby always makes comments that make it seem like hes afraid I will get "hot" and leave him. trys to tell me im fine and don't need to lose weight (I'm clearly atleast 50 pounds overweight).....or why am I trying to lose weight..who am I trying to impress....things like that... so your man could really just be insecure