Ketosis?

Options
So I was a sweet tea fanatic for years and I have now gone 14 days without any kind of sugary drinks. My carb levels are 100g+ but I've got that ketosis breath going on. I'm wondering if this is possible seeing as how my carb intake is still so high. Any thoughts?

[I wasn't trying to enter ketosis.]

Replies

• chocolatechip18
    Options
    get some ketostix, that will answer it if you're in ketosis :)
  • geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Do you have any urinalysis sticks? I've never heard of anyone going into ketosis on 100+ g of carbs. But I've found that the urine dip sticks are much more accurate measures of keto status, as the breath test for acetone.

You'd only enter ketosis after about 36 hours of sub 25g (ish) net carbs, as you only see the dip stick change color, or possibly get acetone breath, after your glycogen stores are depleted. So if you're not running that low for at least 36 hours, I'd hesitate to call your breath a sign of ketosis.

Overall there's no way of knowing without testing your urine
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    So I was a sweet tea fanatic for years and I have now gone 14 days without any kind of sugary drinks. My carb levels are 100g+ but I've got that ketosis breath going on. I'm wondering if this is possible seeing as how my carb intake is still so high. Any thoughts?

[I wasn't trying to enter ketosis.]

It's a misconception that ketosis causes a change in breath. That change happens from gluconeogenesis, the conversion of protein to glucose. It can happen if your protein intake is higher than your body needs, or if your body has burned some of its own muscle for fuel. And no, it isn't likely to get into ketosis at that can level unless you are incredibly active.
  • HannahInHawaii
    HannahInHawaii Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Whatever it is, I'm sure it's directly related to only drinking water thing.
  • geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's a misconception that ketosis causes a change in breath. That change happens from gluconeogenesis, the conversion of protein to glucose.

This is beyond wrong.

Ketosis uses the Acetyl-CoA molecule from lipolysis and beta-oxidation to form 3 compounds: beta‐hydroxybutyrate, acetoacetate, and acetone. Acetone cannot be metabolized by humans and must be removed from the body by breathing it out. The ammonia content in the breath is indicative of ketosis.

Find me a product or side reaction byproduct of gluconeogenesis that will cause a change in breath, that way I can look it up in my medical biochemistry textbook.
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    I have your blood sugar checked!
  • HannahInHawaii
    HannahInHawaii Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Starting low carb tomorrow with a vegetarian twist. We'll see how it goes!
  • mczx2
    mczx2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Urine ketones are useless. In fact once your metabolically adapted, you burn the ketones, not excrete them.
    Get a blood ketone meter, spend the money if your interested in your body's state.