Help with bad back

Options
Does anybody have any advice on workouts to do with a bad back? I threw it out about 4 weeks ago and it's now starting to feel better. (I've seen a dr, a chiropractor and a massage therapist.) I've started some gentle yoga for stretching. But if I walk too much I tend to throw it out again, so I need help getting the muscles in my back to relax, stretch and be conditioned again. If anyone has been through this any tips and tricks would be very appreciated!

Replies

• snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Get a referral from your doctor for physical therapy. If you still have instability just walking, you're not recovered yet.
  • sklpersonaltrainer
    Options
    When you do get referred and cleared to work out again, I would be adding a decent amount of core stabilization exercises. I do NOT mean sit-ups and hanging leg raises. I mean a lot of planks, bird dogs, glute bridges and progressing into single leg exercises to help stabilize and support your lower back.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'd talk to your healthcare professional and see what they advise. When I hurt mine (once I got to where I could stand/walk again) my main activities were walking/hiking (carrying no load), swimming (some aquatic exercises to improve core), and core exercises (mentioned above). Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    all of the above.......
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i had an issue on one side of my back. sort of upper lower, lower middle back. it was a chronic thing that always flared up with exercise.

when i got serrious about doing pull ups it definetly helped strengthen this area. wouldn't have thought it would help with low back but it did.