New rules of lifting for women vs Stronglifts 5x5

Options
Complete newbie at weights but everyone has to start somewhere right? After looking around these seem to be the best programmes to start with. I belong to a gym and am going to try one of them!

Has anyone done these? What would you recommend out of the 2? What were your results?

I am extremely weak :blushing: but know I will get stronger in time (I hope)!

Will I loose weight from doing either of these or is it purely just to gain muscle? Also do people do cardio along with this?

A lot of questions I know, I just want to understand! Haha!

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• jorralee
    jorralee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    SL 5x5 training is one of the best programs someone can do to learn technique and build up some base strength and it comes with a free pdf manual on how to perform the lifts and how to progress, what to do when u plateau etc.

U will get stronger with SL 5x5 and if eat in a caloric surplus with enough protein u will gain muscle. You can incorporate cardio on any day u like. Losing weight or fat has everything to do with your diet and not so with the workout itself.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I've never done Strong Lifts 5x5, but I'm doing New Rules right now, and I love it. Pick one, try it out and if you don't like it, try the other one.
  • andreajaeger89
    Options
    I have not done either program as my gym does not offer them, and just recently found out about them online HOWEVER, my gym does offer Les Mills BodyPump which I HIGHLY recommend for newbies. If your gym has the class you should give it a shot. It is a great way to get introduced to not only weights, but numerous different exercises for each muscle group. I really enjoy the class and it along with my 3 days of cardio(Zumba), 1 to 2 other weight days, and healthy "clean" diet I noticed a huge difference! I am losing weight/inches a lot quicker than I was just eating healthy and doing cardio. By that I do not mean that I am just dropping pounds left and right as that is completely unrealistic, but after 3 weeks, family and friends are both commenting that I look thinner and my pants are fitting better already. My love handles are definitely shrinking and I can feel my muscles getting stronger every day!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I started with NROLFW and got into Stage 4 before becoming bored and a bit irritated at all the isolated lifts they were adding in. I don't regret starting with it as it helped get my feet wet and started very slowly. I was a gym newbie, and it definitely helped to have a book "hold my hand".

I switched to Stronglifts, and my strength gains skyrocketed. I did that for about 9 months, and am now doing 5/3/1 which I love so much, but it's not a very good program for a total beginner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There both really quite different. Stronglifts is purely a strength based routine...it is awesome for building raw, functional strength in a very efficient manner. It's focus is on the compound lifts that are to foundation of pretty much any routine, but the heart and soul of a power-lifting routine. It is very basic and very simple and that is the beauty of it...there are no assistance exercises or isolation exercises, just those compound lifts...this is what makes it such a great beginners routine. The rep range is optimal for raw strength gains.

New Rules is what I would deem a lifting/fitness routine. The rep ranges you work in will build strength over time, but not as efficiently as Stronglifts will. I would say that where Stronglifts focuses primarily on your strength, New Rules is more physique and overall fitness oriented. This makes this routine a bit more complicated for some...though my wife jokes that, "yeah...it is more complicated...than hanging out on the elliptical."

That said, I've looked at the routine and watched my wife do it and it does go far beyond just the compound lifts. Those compound lifts are still at the root of the routine, but it just goes well beyond them and incorporates more assistance work as well as general fitness work like lunges, box jumps, balance stuff, etc. I guess that's why people say it's overly complex...but I think it just depends on what you want to get out of it.

My wife did Starting Strength with me (similar to Stronglifts) and then Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 routine and now she's doing this. Given her previous knowledge from working with me she found the first couple of cycles to be very boring and easy, but she is enjoying things now and likes the variation in routine vs SS and Wendler's routine which is pretty much the same stuff over and over as they are more liken to power lifting routines.

I would also add that while my wife could appreciate the strength gains she had with SS and Wendler's program, it got to the point for her where enough was enough...she didn't really have any interest in squatting 300 + Lbs or being a power lifter and became more focused on her overall fitness. I ultimately found myself in the same boat and was at a point where my muscles were handling the load, but my CNS was shot to **** and I was having tendon/ligament issues as the weight had gotten really heavy when I stopped Wendler's routine. I now do more of a hypertrophy routine that still hits those compound lifts, but I do a lot of extra "fitness" type stuff as well like lunges, pull-ups, dips, hanging leg raises, box jumps, etc. I work primarily in the 8-10 rep range now with lighter weight than I would in the 5/3/1 rep range and my strength gains aren't so linear and much slower...but that's ok...I spent a good year doing a Strength based routine and am happy to have built that base up...but you do get to a point eventually...unless you really want to go the powerlifting route...which at almost 40 is not going to happen.

Ultimately, your journey will be your own and as you get into it, your goals will likely change...I'd say pick one...stick with it for awhile.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Neither...
    New Rules of Lifting SUPERCHARGED. Much better way to get started, and I started with NROLFW.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    starting strength (SL is just a basic version of starting strength)

nrolfw got entirely too complicated for me considering it's supposed to be a strength building program. not to mention the fact that if you do it in a gym you WILL be the a*hole for having to goal tend as many as 3 workout stations or you risk a station not being available when you're done with a set of another exercise. considering that anything after stage 3 starts to get really time consuming, adding on having to wait around while someone else has jumped on the lat pulldown machine or needs the dumbbell you aren't currently using means that your gym time could increase by like 30 minutes. of course this isnt an issue if you work out at home
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    There both really quite different. Stronglifts is purely a strength based routine...it is awesome for building raw, functional strength in a very efficient manner. It's focus is on the compound lifts that are to foundation of pretty much any routine, but the heart and soul of a power-lifting routine. It is very basic and very simple and that is the beauty of it...there are no assistance exercises or isolation exercises, just those compound lifts...this is what makes it such a great beginners routine. The rep range is optimal for raw strength gains.

New Rules is what I would deem a lifting/fitness routine. The rep ranges you work in will build strength over time, but not as efficiently as Stronglifts will. I would say that where Stronglifts focuses primarily on your strength, New Rules is more physique and overall fitness oriented. This makes this routine a bit more complicated for some...though my wife jokes that, "yeah...it is more complicated...than hanging out on the elliptical."

That said, I've looked at the routine and watched my wife do it and it does go far beyond just the compound lifts. Those compound lifts are still at the root of the routine, but it just goes well beyond them and incorporates more assistance work as well as general fitness work like lunges, box jumps, balance stuff, etc. I guess that's why people say it's overly complex...but I think it just depends on what you want to get out of it.

My wife did Starting Strength with me (similar to Stronglifts) and then Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 routine and now she's doing this. Given her previous knowledge from working with me she found the first couple of cycles to be very boring and easy, but she is enjoying things now and likes the variation in routine vs SS and Wendler's routine which is pretty much the same stuff over and over as they are more liken to power lifting routines.

I would also add that while my wife could appreciate the strength gains she had with SS and Wendler's program, it got to the point for her where enough was enough...she didn't really have any interest in squatting 300 + Lbs or being a power lifter and became more focused on her overall fitness. I ultimately found myself in the same boat and was at a point where my muscles were handling the load, but my CNS was shot to **** and I was having tendon/ligament issues as the weight had gotten really heavy when I stopped Wendler's routine. I now do more of a hypertrophy routine that still hits those compound lifts, but I do a lot of extra "fitness" type stuff as well like lunges, pull-ups, dips, hanging leg raises, box jumps, etc. I work primarily in the 8-10 rep range now with lighter weight than I would in the 5/3/1 rep range and my strength gains aren't so linear and much slower...but that's ok...I spent a good year doing a Strength based routine and am happy to have built that base up...but you do get to a point eventually...unless you really want to go the powerlifting route...which at almost 40 is not going to happen.

Ultimately, your journey will be your own and as you get into it, your goals will likely change...I'd say pick one...stick with it for awhile.

/thread...very eloquently put :)