I Can't believe I gained the weight back...

Options
Hi there,

My name is Diane and I am new to the MTP community. In 2010, I was successful at shedding 30lbs through a lot of hardwork and dedication. Fast forward almost 4 years later and not only have I gained the weight back but I picked up an additional 20lbs. Ugh!
I have enrolled back in a gym and I am making strides to lose this unwanted weight and keep it off this time. Does anyone have any tips, diet favorites, encouragement, etc. to provide me with? I can use all the help I can get at this point.

Thanks in advance,
Di

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. If you're still not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • hky176
    hky176 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Di!
    I am on a similar path. I think you will find this website helpful. Like the previous post, be honest about what you eat. If you don't log it your body still knows if you ate it, and will respond to it. Enjoy your work outs! Look to find new activities so you don't get bored. If you try something and don't like it, you are not out much. Good luck!
  • diane027
    Options
    Thank you both for the encouragement and tips. I also really enjoyed the article you provided editorgirl.

Thanks again and happy losing,
    Di
  • scthemis
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me, but in only 6 months I got the 15 lbs back. Good luck! I'm going to try to make smaller changes and start at medium pace instead of a hard pace (b/c that's what usually ruins me). Hopefully, we can both get it back off and keep it off!
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me -- I lost 40 pounds years ago and gained it all back(within 7 years) PLUS 30 more! For me -- I believe that I got to my "goal weight" and I thought I could just go back to how I ate before and stopped exercising. Wrong move! This time -- I've realized this is going to be a permanent change in my life... once I'm where I am at, I'll have to keep doing what I'm doing and still work to maintain.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    All the advice given was good. I'd just add to remember that you did it once, you can do it again. As long as you did it a healthy way before, I'd do it the same way.
  • changing_becca
    changing_becca Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with a massive 20lbs regain after I went on vacation and decided Halloween - Christmas could be a food free for all :( So I'm starting over much to my regret, but I know you and I both can do it! Any of you feel free to friend me. I have kinda been sticking to myself but I obviously need some accountability.Good Luck!
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hey I don't really have advice of anything, but I am in the same boat. I lost weight and gained it plus more back. Please feel free to add me and we can struggle through it together. I am learning as I go, and I HOPE I am losing weight. I am too afraid to step on the scale because of the way it made me feel last time. My clothes a looser now, and I bought a new bathing suit yesterday in a size smaller then that I was wearing. Good luck and know you aren't alone.
  • Cat_47
    Cat_47 Posts: 2
    Options
    I hear ya. Me too. I can't believe I gained the weight back, also. what the heck was I thinking. I gained the weight back more then twice. Dammit! But it is OK. The important thing is you did it before so you know you can do it again. Not only that, you got back on the wagon. So kudos for you! GOOD LUCK, YOU CAN DO IT!

P.S. DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP - THE IMPORTANT THING IS HOPEFULLY YOU LEARNED SOMETHING FROM THE EXPERIENCE THAT WILL HELP YOU KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF THIS NEXT TIME YOU REACH YOUR GOAL WEIGHT.

LIKE I SAID I DID THE SAME THING WE JUST START OVER THAT'S ALL :-))
  • Zvijerijer
    Zvijerijer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Same here. Five years ago I lost around 50 lbs and was finally happy with myself and then I've gained all weight back plus 10 lbs extra. Now I'm stuck with a bunch of clothes that doesn't fit me anymore and back pain. I've decided to lose weight again but this time making permanent lifestyle changes. Anyone, please feel free to add me, I'll be here for awhile :smile:
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! A little about my story I lost 138pds and maintained the loss for almost 5 years, got pregnant and gained alot back, so here I am trying to get it back off plus 40 more! I got 55pds to go to hit goal! Good luck and remember this is life long deal so make sure you make your "diet" something you can live with forever!
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

My name is Diane and I am new to the MTP community. In 2010, I was successful at shedding 30lbs through a lot of hardwork and dedication. Fast forward almost 4 years later and not only have I gained the weight back but I picked up an additional 20lbs. Ugh!
    I have enrolled back in a gym and I am making strides to lose this unwanted weight and keep it off this time. Does anyone have any tips, diet favorites, encouragement, etc. to provide me with? I can use all the help I can get at this point.

Thanks in advance,
    Di

Sounds like we're in the exact same boat (even the same age). I had lost about 37 pounds (was only 10 pounds away fron final goal!) and put it all back on +12 pounds. It took me a year and a half last time. I made it all the way through P90X, and I was in the best shape I had ever been in. Now I have about 55-60 to lose and I'm getting married next April. I doubt I will lose it all by then, but I want to do what I can.

I had friends on here when I used this everyday the first time around, but deleted them all when I got back on as we have no interaction anymore and many of them quit using the site.

Feel free to add me as a friend! I log everything I eat every day and I know I will keep it up. My focus this time is to eat fewer processed foods.
  • rocsings
    Options
    Hey Diane, I love all of the other post ... Best advice is when you bite it write it ... I normally start most of my days by planning my meals. Get on MFP and plan the day ... I also start the day with exercise. I don't look at my weight loss journey as a diet; this is the rest of my natural life. I acknowledge I am a food addict and keep it moving. The weapon may form, but it will not prosper. Don't reward yourself with food and surely don't punish yourself with food and when you feel as though you are losing control, do just what you did, get online and POST POST POST ... call a friend, get a buddy, occupy your mind. Get out and walk ... run ... shout and scream ... just don't eat (SMILE) ... you can do this!! You are your worst enemy!! With that said, I'm confident you will WIN! Wishing you much success!
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    power of 3

eat clean- you decide what that is for you
    30 minutes of exercise
    drink water

eat clean, train mean hydrate= get lean

baby steps- make small goals.

http://www.fitnessmantra.info/2007/09/13/smart-goal-setting-for-fitness-and-weight-management/

believe in yourself

commit

be consistent

hold yourself accountable by logging honestly. let other know you have made a choice to get healthy.

ask for support.. surround yourself with people that will lift you up/

i have a group if anyone wants to join.. its a very warm group full of motivation and support

I have been where you are.. i started at 370.. finally got to 165 than lost my dad to cancer.went back up to 220.. now im 166 again.. its time to finish what i started. would love to support any of you

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/18785-motivation-support-and-accountability
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me, but in only 6 months I got the 15 lbs back. Good luck! I'm going to try to make smaller changes and start at medium pace instead of a hard pace (b/c that's what usually ruins me). Hopefully, we can both get it back off and keep it off!

Exactly! The hardest lesson to learn when coming back to fitness is: Anything is better than nothing. 20-30 minutes of exercise is better than no exercise. "It doesn't matter how fast you go; you're still lapping everyone on the couch". Consistency is key.

Also, food choices make the biggest diffrence (re-learning that myself).

Don't get discouraged! You did it once and you can do it again!
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Started at 308...got down to 212...now 251...I am so frustrated at myself and cannot seem to get my butt back in gear!!! :(
  • MissMonicaC
    MissMonicaC Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's a journey, your back, and trying and that's something. Don't beat yourself up about yesterday just keep going girl.