please help me out.

Options
Hi everyone. I'm female, 18 years old, 5 foot 1, and around 140 pounds. For over a year now I've been trying different workouts to lose a few pounds, slim down, and mainly lose belly fat. I never ate really badly but recently I've started following a meal plan and eating very carefully. I am consuming around 1500 calories a day and exercising through Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Focus T25 to burn around 300 calories from exercise a day. I'm drinking a lot of water too.

However, I haven't seen results!!! It's the most frustrating thing in the world and it's just really upsetting. Can someone please help me/give suggestions on what you think I should do to help myself?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you weren't counting calories before, even "eating well", you were likely eating around maintenance if you didn't lose. All the exercise in the world will not cause weight loss if you're not creating a deficit. If you've only recently begun eating at a deficit, the answer is to give it time. I'd suggest finding a good lifting program, eating at a moderate deficit and doing some cardio you like.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How long have you actually been tracking calories? Second, do you use a food scale? Third, open your diary. And 4th, 1500 is probably not enough for a 18 year old, you may need to bump that up a bit.. but first we need the other three answered
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How long have you actually been tracking calories? Second, do you use a food scale? Third, open your diary. And 4th, 1500 is probably not enough for a 18 year old, you may need to bump that up a bit.. but first we need the other three answered

^Questions. Questions that need answering.
  • apeck422
    Options
    I've been tracking calories for at least 3 weeks now and before that I did it on and off. 2. I assume you mean like a scale to measure the amount of food. I don't have one that measures ounces and stuff but I measure tablespoons, tsps, ounces, cups, etc with other things. 3. i haven't used fitness pal to log my calories until now so there's not anything to see and 4. i'm not super active other than the exercise i'm doing so my BMR is around 1800 maybe and i'm trying to create the calorie deficit.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Buy a digital food scale instead of measuring cups etc.. that doesn't help you with protein items (which are easily overestimated).. Second your BMR wouldn't be 1800, maybe your TDEE is.. Your eating 1600 calories, I am assuming you don't eat exercise calories, if you do.. stop eating exercise calories..
    I know for T25 your calorie max is 1600 for bigger people, so try that and buy a scale.. you would be surprised what you think 3 oz of chicken is compared to what it really is.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    According to iifym.com, your BMR is 1354. Your TDEE, with 3 days of exercise, is 1861. If you are eating <= 1500 a day then you are eating close to your TDEE - 20%, which should give you weight loss. You need to log all your food, every day.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    According to iifym.com, your BMR is 1354. Your TDEE, with 3 days of exercise, is 1861. If you are eating <= 1500 a day then you are eating close to your TDEE - 20%, which should give you weight loss. You need to log all your food, every day.

^^ This!
  • apeck422
    Options
    I don't eat exercise calories. Also I exercise 6-7 days a week. Also, I can look into getting a scale but if anything I'm underestimating the protein amounts. But I'll definitely look into getting a scale. So Greenrun99 are you saying to eat 1600 calories? Ah I just can't imagine that eating too little is the reason I'm not seeing results. The thing is, I know that stomach fat/abs are made in the kitchen so yeah.
  • melissayoungblood
    melissayoungblood Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try dropping your caloric amount to 1200 per day. See if that helps. This is what I am on. Also maybe have your thyroid checked.
  • apeck422
    Options
    I recently had blood drawn and it said my thyroid is good so I don't think that's it. Also 1,200 is like the bare minimum so I don't know if I want to eat that little..
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

That should help you getting an appropriate goal. Then don't worry about exercise calories... just eat what it says at the 20% deficit setting (although I would use the 'lightly active' setting is all you're doing is 30 minutes workout and don't move a lot otherwise).

Then, weigh and log everything you eat, and you should lose weight.
  • apeck422
    Options
    I'm doing both Jillian and Focus T25 so it's more like 45-60 minutes a day but gotcha thanks! I'll check this site out!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would set yoru calories at 1650 a daily (40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats) and get a good food scale. Once you get the food scale, track every day for 1 month and report back with findings. Amazon has food scales for $20 (mine is an orezi). Accuracy is the key to success. If you feel tired or lethargic, bump your intake up to 1800. I suspect you are between lightly and moderately active since you T25 and other workouts on top.
  • apeck422
    Options
    Thanks! I mean it's not that I'm not working out hard enough or whatever. So I guess it must be my nutrition!