Why am I not losing weight.

Options
So I have been on and off dieting and exercising. There were some that really worked for me, and I'm not sure why. And one that should be working for me but isn't. Due to the lack of recourses at the moment I can't go back to the one that was working well for me, and I feel happier and healthier with what I have been doing.

Before What I was doing was 20 jumping jacks, 10 pushups, 20 normal crunches, 20 crunches to each side, and 20 squats. As fast as I can for about 15 minutes. I was also drinking at least one fruit smoothy a day. I liked that I only had to work out for 15 minutes, ut I would be exhausted and have shin pain after I was done (assuming it was from jjack's or squats? idk)
this was liek 2 years ago and I must have dropped about 15 pounds doing it for 2 ish weeks.

Now I have started going to planet fitness for about an hour a day give or take. I try to go 6 days a week with one rest day when I think I need it, whether its int eh beginning middle or end of the week. Of course sometimes i take an extra day, because of lack of motivation or weather, but I try to make it up by being in the gym for an extra hour to make up for lost time.

During my hour I will do between 30 and 60 minutes of cardio. Days I do about 30-40 I ad some strength training. I will do arms one day, abs another, and legs another and switch it out. I usually also do the machines and not free weights or anything. I assume that the machines help with form, and free weights i dont know how to keep good form and I dont want to hurt myself doing that.

With this I havent seen any results really. I have been eating under my caloric goals, and busting my *kitten*. I am always exhausted and SOAKED after a work out. i just don't know why its not working, or why the other had worked better for me?

Any ideas?

Replies

• Whiskette32
    Options
    Hi,

Just a thought, but when you are working out you are building muscle. So in actuality you are toning up and losing fat even though your weight may stay the same or increase a little bit. Muscle weighs more than fat. If you can tell that your clothes are fitting a little better on you than you are on the right track!

Whiskette32
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    "Cardio" can mean a lot of things. What type of cardio exercise are you doing? How long ago did you start your new workout regimen?

Not really relevant but just curious - what resources do you lack that prevent doing bodyweight exercises like you were 2 yeras ago?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Just a thought, but when you are working out you are building muscle. So in actuality you are toning up and losing fat even though your weight may stay the same or increase a little bit. Muscle weighs more than fat. If you can tell that your clothes are fitting a little better on you than you are on the right track!

Whiskette32

Aside from some newbie gains, it's actually really difficult to put on significant muscle mass, especially if the OP is eating in a deficit. Certainly they haven't put on enough to offset the losses they should be seeing. More likely they're holding onto some extra fluid in the muscles to help cushion and repair them. People often mistake this for muscle gain.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    1) You didn't mention your diet. The answer is almost definitely your diet.

2) The strength routine you're doing isn't going to get you results. Switch it out for a real strength program. Start with the New RUles of Lifting for women, almost all of it can be adapted for dumbbells so you'll be able to do it at PF.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Weight loss is all about the calories. Would you be comfortable opening your diary for us? How accurately are you logging? Are you using a food scale? measuring cups? Eyeballing portion sizes? Also are you eating back your earned exercise calories? If so, are you using a HRM or machine/MFP estimates?
  • greginnd
    greginnd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1. How long have you been doing your new routine?
    2. Open your diary so people can look for ideas where you may improve your logging and/or calorie goal.
    3. Are you using a kitchen scale to measure your food intake?
    4. I understand the scale has not moved--have you taken any body measurements? How are your clothes fitting?

DITTO. This post is spot on. We need this information to help you.
  • malindahunter
    Options
    I have seen similar results and been stuck in a plateau for a few weeks before. I have even done that and gained because of muscle growth. I agree with checking your measurements. If you've been doing this for a couple of weeks, you have probably created muscle and that will eventually help you burn more fat. Don't give up, stick with it!
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    I have seen similar results and been stuck in a plateau for a few weeks before. I have even done that and gained because of muscle growth. I agree with checking your measurements. If you've been doing this for a couple of weeks, you have probably created muscle and that will eventually help you burn more fat. Don't give up, stick with it!

You might want to read some of the replies above as to why it's still not muscle gain.