In a funk/ wheres my groove? Give me some of yours. :)

Options
I feel motivated but I havent been to the gym in a month. Which screws up my diet plan, so I havent been following that. I set my alarm for 5am evey morning, but seems Im too tired to get out of bed. 5am is just about the only time I have to go the gym with not a lot of people there. I really hate working out in front of people. What kind of things have motivated you? Just writing this makes me realize I might be a bit of a baby.. I really shouldnt care about working out in front of others. Just need to get back in the groove and havent found it for a month. I have a fitbit force finally being delivered today. Just wondering what others have done to get their *kitten* back into the gym. :)

Replies

• Kiwi94544
    Options
    Ughh, I feel you - when I fall off that going-to-the-gym bandwagon, it is HARD to get back on again - and my diet inevitably suffers if I'm not also working out. I seriously don't know how those people do it who ONLY diet - for me, if I'm not exercising, I'm not eating right. For whatever reason, those two things have to go together or NEITHER one goes at all. I definitely hear what you're saying.

For me - evening going to the gym consistently now - I still have mornings that are harder than others. I, like you, do my main workout in the morning, and wake-up time is 5:15am. I always get up, but there are still days where I arrive at the gym, hop on the treadmill and for whatever reason, can NOT get myself MOVING like normal... Not because I'm tired, or sore, or sick... but something within me just isn't "feeling it" - those days are TOUGH to push yourself though.

But here's what has worked for me in the past:

1 - Changing up my playlist on my ipod/ phone. I am one of those people who cannot workout with music. If I forget my earphones, I cannot run. AT ALL. It's weird, but that's me. After a few weeks in the gym, I find my playlists start to feel old and I'm listening to the same songs over and over and it gets a bit boring. So, I try to update my workout playlists every couple weeks, adding in new songs or beats that I like, and it kind of "freshens" my gym experience. Sounds kinda dumb, but for me it works.

2 - Going to bed earlier. If you're waking up completely wiped, see if you can go to sleep even 30 minutes earlier. A little more sleep the night before might make the next morning easier

3 - Invest in your workout. When I first got MY fitbit, I was ALWAYS moving - it was like having a new "toy" that I wanted to "play" with, so it kind of rejuvenated my gym motivation, because I wanted to see how many steps I could log, etc. I find I feel excited to workout anytime I have something "new" that's gym-related - a new pair of shoes, a new sports bra (lol) - seriously, investing in things to help me with getting fit kind of gives me the buzz to WANT to use them and see how it goes.

Those are really the only things that work for me. I will say, if you just start getting up and going it WILL get easier - at least the getting-up will. The first couple weeks I was getting up at 5:15am, it was rough... but after that, now it's just automatic. I even wake up about 5 minutes before my alarm goes off, cause my body is just wired for that now. Even on the weekends - which can be a bit of a bummer, but I still get up and go workout early then too.... Mostly because on the weekends I find that if I don't go early to workout, I find too many "excuses" not to go.... And it's nice to get that workout "out of the way" anyway....

Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Is it Winter where you are? If so, you might consider a vitamin D supplement. It's hard to get enough without having skin exposed to the sun daily. And it can really sap your energy and motivation when you are low on D.
  • Rolande55
    Rolande55 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't have cable TV as I live in the country and instead use Netflix on my wifi at home. I don't have a data plan but my gym has wifi and I asked them to enter the password on my iPhone (so it remains a secret) and I watch Netflix while on the treadmill (the tv programs are never interesting when I go). I will walk through an entire 45 minute show if I have to just to watch it for free. Right now I'm hooked on Nip/Tuck lol!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I work out after work. Because I can barely get to work in the morning, let alone the gym.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

tumblr_mhvtd8Qbqk1s51zjyo1_400.gif

It happens. You sometimes get in that funk. So what are you going to do about it? You are going to get your butt back to the gym! You got this. :flowerforyou:
  • bobby790
    Options
    When ever you don't feel like doing something, think about the navy seal. look up navy seals buds on YouTube. then tell me you don't have the power to just get out of your bed and just do it!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I believe the emperor has it.....
    MV5BMTMxNTY0MzU1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODgwNjQ3._V1_SY317_CR7,0,214,317_.jpg \m/
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Pack your work clothes in a bag with toiletries and anything else you need and have your workout clothes set next to the bed ready to go. If you don't go you will have wasted all your set up work.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The gym is where I "feel all the feels" about myself too :)

I have found some of my best runs on the treadmill happen around 9-10 pm. I don't know if this is possible or desirable for you, but maybe give it a try if you haven't yet. My gym is in my building so its MUCH easier for me than for someone who has to get in a car or on a train to get to their gym, but it's pretty wonderful in the later hours.
    It's sort of like you get to shed all of the *kitten* from the day and blast through it before you settle in for the night. It also means I get to have a little snack before the gym at like 830 or 9 which I love because I'm a p.m. eater. Dinner is never the end for me…

If you're not wanting to change the time you go, I would say do something silly and nice for yourself like shop for a couple new pieces of workout clothes or treat yourself to a fun dance class.

When I feel especially awkward, I do a little meditation in a yoga room or a quiet area after I stretch just to get in a positive frame of mind.. There is a free podcast called "The Meditation Podcast" (creative, right?) and they are great at guiding you thru a quick centering. There is one that is only 6 or 8 minutes long.
    Give it a shot!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I fell off the wagon for the past six weeks. Scratch that. I crashed the wagon, blew it up and then stomped on the ashes with a bottle of wine in my hand.

Like you, I work out in the morning. I'm never motivated after work. I officially started up my old fitness routine on Monday and it is tough! I haven't gotten used to waking up early yet and now I'm so sore I can barely move. It sucks. BUT, I also remember when I was totally into it and I miss that part of myself and that's all the motivation I need to get going.

Also, I drink a ton of water before bed and during the night so by 5am I HAVE to get up. :laugh:
  • Pain_Train
    Options
    tumblr_lxiascQfj71qemz6qo1_500.gif
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a class for beginners in something? ANYTHING is better than nothing, and if you find something you love, you won't mind fumbling around a bit with other people who are fumbling around, lol. Personally, I do martial arts. It's a great workout, and I tend to forget it's exercise when I'm throwing kicks at the heavy bag. >:)
  • monkeymaze94
    monkeymaze94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It happens. I went through Christmas in a bad funk. Getting serious again! My Plexus Slim is helping me tremendously! Must have it every morning!
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I feel motivated but I havent been to the gym in a month. Which screws up my diet plan, so I havent been following that. I set my alarm for 5am evey morning, but seems Im too tired to get out of bed. 5am is just about the only time I have to go the gym with not a lot of people there. I really hate working out in front of people. What kind of things have motivated you? Just writing this makes me realize I might be a bit of a baby.. I really shouldnt care about working out in front of others. Just need to get back in the groove and havent found it for a month. I have a fitbit force finally being delivered today. Just wondering what others have done to get their *kitten* back into the gym. :)

I quit the gym.

I went for a decade or more.

I would sleep in gym gear during winter, have everything packed ready to go the night before and keep a caffeine pill next to the bed to motivate myself to go.

I went for 45mins, 5 x a week. I didn't enjoy it. I would try to distract myself with music, magazines and the tv while on the machines.

But the key with doing regular exercise is finding something you enjoy.

About this time last year I ditched the gym membership entirely and started doing work out videos that use my own body weight (or small weights) at home. Now I work out for 30-45mins 6x a week.

I brought a box set of Jillian Michaels DVDs (30 Day Shred etc) last year and this year have been doing Insanity workouts.

Now I just roll out of bed and toddle down to my study to do my work out in the morning.

Saves me time,money and from working out with other people!

I will never join a gym again.
  • libertychoury
    libertychoury Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What I try to remember is that I am sure to be the example for someone else at the gym, if I am there. I am not perfect, far from it, and I struggle while I am there in my workout and worry sometimes people are shaking their heads at me for being not totally muscular but still lifting weights or if they think my form is off...etc. I even fell the other day because I thought the weight was heavier than it was. It's not the first time I have fallen either, once it was off the stair master. But when I am there, I see others doing the same thing, I see others at a beginner fitness level, and I hope that they see me and think, wow, I want to do what she does! Look, she's not super muscular but she is on those weights! There is sort of an unspoken mutual motivation, somehow.
    I go at 5 AM and the only way I get myself there (meaning, get out of bed and not continue sleeping through the alarm) is to remind myself immediately when my eyes are starting to close that I will only feel worse about myself if I don't go, and it is a feeling that I don't wish to ever feel again. I know if I don't go to the gym, my day is automatically bad. There are very few excuses that can come between me and the gym at 5 AM. And so I don't allow myself to make them.
  • msmvp
    msmvp Posts: 12
    Options
    You are awesome! I know you are right about just getting up and doing it, and it will get easier. I just needed a kick in the *kitten* maybe. I rarely ask for help, but every night I say im going to the gym and its not happening. Thank you so much for your words.
  • msmvp
    Options
    Is it Winter where you are? If so, you might consider a vitamin D supplement. It's hard to get enough without having skin exposed to the sun daily. And it can really sap your energy and motivation when you are low on D.

Im in Kansas and work inside ALL day.. you might be right because Ive been craving to sit in the sun for a bit.
  • msmvp
    Options
    Here you go:

tumblr_mhvtd8Qbqk1s51zjyo1_400.gif

It happens. You sometimes get in that funk. So what are you going to do about it? You are going to get your butt back to the gym! You got this. :flowerforyou:

That made me smile.. I really appreciate it. :) I have never posted in an online forum ever. But I will have to say its helping!!
  • msmvp
    Options

When I feel especially awkward, I do a little meditation in a yoga room or a quiet area after I stretch just to get in a positive frame of mind.. There is a free podcast called "The Meditation Podcast" (creative, right?) and they are great at guiding you thru a quick centering. There is one that is only 6 or 8 minutes long.
    Give it a shot!

Fabulous! I will definitely look at the The Meditation Podcasts. :)
  • brey81
    brey81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in KS too and ditched my 5 am gym time because it is too cold! When Spring rolls around I plan to get back at it, but for now I am trying to make it in the evenings. Even then, I find myself somewhat unmotivated, but it is in those moments I have to remember back to why I started in the first place and to remind myself how far I have come with a little hard work. If it was easy everyone would do it, right?! Let me know how you like your fitbit- really want to get one! Good luck :)