Excited to Be Here!

Options
Hi! I am a 50+yo female who has recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I have used MFP successfully in the past but fell off the wagon last year and now need to get refocused. I need to lose 100+ pounds, bring my blood glucose into the normal range, and establish walking as a permanent part of my life. Whoo! It is all good though. I really love MFP for it ease of use and the ability to be honest with myself as to what I put into my mouth. So very simple. And motivating. I count carbs and find this very easy to manage with the great nutritional resources of the app. I enter everything I eat immediately so I can see where I am going for the day. I started mid-week last week by just easing into my improved eating habits. On Sunday I started seriously counting my carbs. On Monday I started with just generally increasing my activity and walking. For my first week I have lost almost 10 pounds and have dropped my pre-breakfast blood glucose from 222 to 188. I have ordered a Fitbit Zip and will start developing my baseline walking numbers this weekend. My goal is to increase by 10% my steps each week until I reach 12000-15000 steps per day. In the past year or two I have not incorporated any exercise, but I can easily access a gym during the week at “lunch” time so I am pumped to get moving. The other thing I decided to do was be active here in the MFP community to gain and give support.
Best wishes for each your successes!
Red

Replies

• robbinedawn
    Options
    Red, your story is inspiring and I wish you success. I just started again after falling off of the bandwagon last fall. Unbeknownst to me I am a morning exerciser and started taking classes at the gym at 5:45 am!!! I found that if I don;t do that first thing, I will find every excuse under the sun not to go. I like your idea of starting slow and increasing your exercise a little every week. I think that there is much to be said for that. Often I would start something full force and not be able to stick with it after a couple of weeks.