How to stop snacking?

Options
I need help finding tasty, HEALTHY snacks. I don't like the taste of most "diet" foods (kale, chia seeds, weird other things I cant spell ;)) I need something that basically tastes like a snickers bar but isn't going to kill my calorie goal for the day. Any suggestions?

Replies

• marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Fruit. One small piece of dark chocolate. Granola bar. Container of yogurt. Low cal string cheese. Some nuts. A hard boiled egg. There are many choices.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I need help finding tasty, HEALTHY snacks. I don't like the taste of most "diet" foods (kale, chia seeds, weird other things I cant spell ;)) I need something that basically tastes like a snickers bar but isn't going to kill my calorie goal for the day. Any suggestions?

a mini snickers bar
    dried cranberries
    dark chocolate
    nuts
    yogurt (i love banana greek yogurt and i add a fun size pack of m&ms to it when i want chocolate)
    mini ice cream sandwich
    string cheese
    chocolate milk and i mean good chocolate syrup (tablespoon of it) and milk mixed together not the stuff in a bottle
    raisins
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I like carrots and hummus. I like the sabra roasted pine nut hummus. I eat dark chocolate every day. My taste buds have changed over the years and I prefer "healthier" foods. Of course this past weekend I had a snickers because it fit into my goals for that day. It wasn't as good as I remembered them. I had raisinets today. I have triscuits with cheese other days. Fruit like apples and oranges always go well too.
  • bethyv1030
    bethyv1030 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Fruits, nuts, granola, yogurt, low fat string cheese, Kellogg cracker chips, low cal fruit snacks. The list is endless. Just read labels and check serving sizes I personally love granola bars, so those are my go to snacks of choice
  • mjsmamma
    mjsmamma Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have been getting creative with snacks since my goal intake every day is 1,240. I eat fruit, I slice an apple into thin slices and savor it, plain greek yogurt flavored with greek seasoning and dip red peppers in it, popcorn, carrot sticks, celery sticks with a 'buffalo sauce" of ff ranch and ff hot sauce. But, if you really can't find snacks you like, build in 100 calories a day for Hershey kisses. Each one is 22 calories, so you can have five. I let them melt in my mouth rather than chew them. Eat them throughout the day.
  • ShortStrut
    ShortStrut Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the things I read from other posts, so in addition to what was already said, you could also try making your own trail mixes, combining the things you already like: unbuttered popcorn, chocolate chips, nuts, sunflower seeds. etc. Portion it out into little baggies that you know are within your calorie limit for the day.

Or go one step further and make your own granola bars, with chocolate drizzled over top.

mm... note to self... make granola later tonight...

You also need to look at patterns of your snacking, are you looking for sweet or salty, crunchy or chewy. And find a replacement that satisfies that need.
  • ShortStrut
    ShortStrut Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i love the let it melt comment! I do that with baking chips of dark chocolate!
  • Rolande55
    Rolande55 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    First make sure that your basic meals have enough protein in them to balance the carb and fat. You'll feel fuller longer. Then when you do snack make sure you have protein with it too; an apple with some cheese or a hard boiled egg, handful of nuts with a fruit etc.. The goal is not to have a blood sugar spike only to crash and crave sweets. High glycemic carbs like white bread, pasta, potatoes etc. will cause that. Start switching to healthier multi grain and never have more than one serving of starch per meal. For a nice treat I make myself Raw brownies made from1 cup walnuts, 1/3 cup coco powder and 1 cup pitted medjool dates (food process and roll into 1" balls. Lots of fiber, protein and fat from the nuts, carbs from the dates. For extra fiber roll in coconut flakes.
  • AJ_Lang89
    Options
    All these are good ideas! I just have a hard time with "boredom hunger". I have an office job so I just set here and want to snack constantly. I am getting better, BUT its a battle. Thanks!
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    All these are good ideas! I just have a hard time with "boredom hunger". I have an office job so I just set here and want to snack constantly. I am getting better, BUT its a battle. Thanks!

Boredom hunger is the worst - try to do something else than reach for food when it occurs though? It's been a big issue for me but when I fill the void of boredom - snacking barely exists for me. Fruit helped me a lot when I do want to snack and I allow myself a chocolate bar here and there
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options

When I get "boredom hunger" I immediately log on here and start browsing for success stories or some such to take my mind off a craving and remind me why I'm doing what I do. :)

...If that doesn't work I have a banana and string cheese standing by. :P