Protein Powders to Avoid

Options
I know there have been several posts over the past couple weeks about protein powder.

I'm wondering about certain brands to avoid? I know there are some questionable ingredients but what are the known additives that you need to watch out for?

In the past we have avoided Muscle Milk and EAS drinks because of arsenic, cadmium, and lead.

We are now making protein snacks and bars for our kindergartener. He needs protein based foods so we are trying this route but I would like a good powder to use without harmful ingredients.

We also try to avoid soy because of thyroid issues.

Hemp is a good protein source and I used that this week instead of a powder but many of the recipes I have call for an actual protein powder.

Thanks for any direction/help!

Replies

• ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Not sure if any of these may work for you, but I found this post to be helpful: http://foodbabe.com/2012/12/13/the-healthiest-protein-powders-on-the-market/

I love Tera's Whey. That is the brand I currently have. Love the chocolate one!
  • willdb76
    Options
    We are now making protein snacks and bars for our kindergartener. He needs protein based foods so we are trying this route but I would like a good powder to use without harmful ingredients.

How about whole foods, milk etc? Unless he's starting exceptionally young as a competitive bodybuilder...
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    No, no bodybuilding in the near future :)

Food allergies in the classroom have eliminated nut products, milk and egg.

Originally it was just no nut products so I could still send hard boiled eggs, yogurt, string cheese but now these staples are not an option.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Try Jay Robb - go to JayRobb.com and if you look under his protein products it does list all the ingredients in his powder. I think he is all natural with no additives, etc.
  • VastBreak
    Options
    Jay Robb and foodbabe.com are both very useful sites, Thank you!
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    We also try to avoid soy because of thyroid issues.

I've never heard of a research study finding an issue with this, can anyone direct me to where this was found in their research. Thanks.
  • VastBreak
    Options
    Soy is a goitrogen. A doctor told us to avoid goitrogens.

I believe Stop the Thyroid Madness also has a section talking about soy. I believe it interferes with the thyroid properly absorbing iodine.
  • ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've also read that a lot of soy (actually, almost all) contains GMO's. Food Babe's link I posted will help elaborate, but I try to stay away from that when I can. :)
  • willdb76
    Options
    Originally it was just no nut products so I could still send hard boiled eggs, yogurt, string cheese but now these staples are not an option.

That is so sad and defies logic! :(
  • VastBreak
    Options
    Yes, I agree, a bit crazy! Just trying to make the best of it and finish out this school year!

I seriously sent him to school with pretzels, popcorn, blueberries and apples one day last week because I couldn't come up with anything solid to send him! Afterwards I found out that eggs cooked into a food is fine so I was able to cook him muffins to add a bit of density but seriously it was a struggle!
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    I think you're likely referring to the new trend of adding taurine and glycine, which by regulations can be counted as a protein source, but are not utilized by the body in the same fashion.

A number of companies are doing this, as the cost of raw whey has increased a great deal in recent times.

Look for the two ingredients I mentioned following the main protein sources in the product on the nutritional label. Law requires them to be listed, so if you pay attention you can avoid them easily.

Giant Sports is a major offender, as is MuscleTech and Gaspari. That's just a start.
  • Ciniharts
    Options
    Not trying to ask an obvious question, but wouldn't a deli meat sandwich or even a turkey or chicken breast sandwich be permissible and provide protein? Unless of course your son doesn't like these or you are vegetarian, in which case I withdraw the suggestion.

On the flip side, I was thinking of how you could incorporate protein powders into kids lunches (I know my little brother is a picky eater) and I was thinking perhaps making jello and mixing the protein powder into the mixture before you set it. I've not tried it myself but it might work and be a way your son would eat it if he happens to be picky like my brother.

I couldn't tell you what powders to avoid but I have heard very good things about NOW Whey Protein Isolate powder, and I believe it comes in an unflavoured variety which may make it easier to disguise in your sons food.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I think you're likely referring to the new trend of adding taurine and glycine, which by regulations can be counted as a protein source, but are not utilized by the body in the same fashion.

A number of companies are doing this, as the cost of raw whey has increased a great deal in recent times.

Look for the two ingredients I mentioned following the main protein sources in the product on the nutritional label. Law requires them to be listed, so if you pay attention you can avoid them easily.

Giant Sports is a major offender, as is MuscleTech and Gaspari. That's just a start.

I just bought a MuscleTech powder to try. And sorry if I sound dense, but taurine & glycine are... bad?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The sugar free 'jello' (we'd call it jelly here) we have is pretty 100% protein.
    But, you do need to have quite a lot as when made up it's mostly water, of course.
    I found it an excellent way to fill me up and bump up my protein intake - just unfortunate that 2 litres worth means you've basically drank 2 litres of water and that has to get out again somewhere a couple of hours later :).
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    no one knows more and cares more about what's in their protein powders than the folks on bodybuilding.com. they are pretty serious about their protein. I suggest reading the reviews and such on that site.
  • marinatrainor
    Options
    New to this site:
    But my two young teenage swimmers/Waterpolo players take
    1 Endura rehydrating powder scoop with the eldest 4 scoops of Endura optimizer (the youngest 2scoops optimizer) twice a day
    I do hope that this is acceptable
  • Ciniharts
    Options
    As soon as you said that you call it Jelly, I thought I wonder if he's from England, and sure enough I was right! Kind of funny what a small world it is, as I was actually born there, just outside of London. So I know all about it being called Jelly but I've been Canadianized over the years ????
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Why no eggs?
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options

I just bought a MuscleTech powder to try. And sorry if I sound dense, but taurine & glycine are... bad?

They are not inherently bad, it's just that your body doesn't utlize these two ingredients the same way it would actual protein.

For example, MuscleTech Phase 8 contains taurine and glycine filler, so while your diary is recording you getting 23 grams of protein per scoop (or whatever it happens to say it contains), you are more than likely getting around 18 grams per scoop. That's a fairly significant difference, however, will it impact your body composition over time? Likely not.

The point is that they are being dishonest and if that rubs you the wrong way, you shouldn't buy their products.