Eating Back Calories

Options
Ok so this is a new concept to me. I guess call me ignorant I just never thought of doing this I honestly thought it was counter productive. When I work out I generally try to burn off at least the number of calories from my last meal. What is your opinion on this? Any advice is appreciated and all friend request are welcome.

Replies

• SaraLady89
    SaraLady89 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating back until your net calories are at least at 1200, If you feel hungy though eat them all back. MFP calculates you at a calorie defecit already so not eating back exercise calories will put you at even a higher defecit which might not be healthy for you.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    The numbers I gave you in the msg earlier factored in exercise calories....
    So if you go by them, you don't need to worry about 'eating back' exercise calories.

If you go with the numbers on MFP, then you will want to eat back in those calories, cause I don't believe they factor in exercise as part of their TDEE.
  • Austinetc
    Austinetc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is a much discussed issue. I now only eat back when I have an intense or long workout. For example, last Sunday is cycled 58 miles (3,300 calories). I didn't try to stick with my daily 1500 calorie limit. But my normal workouts are about 800 calories and not as intense. I try to stay near 1500.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

If you go with the numbers on MFP, then you will want to eat back in those calories, cause I don't believe they factor in exercise as part of their TDEE.

I was just going to say the same. If you choose to go with MFP numbers, at least eat back some...you wont do your body any favors by under eating. But another way is to figure out your TDEE on your own using various sites that are available, and then just track your calories burned as 1, or ignore eating them back. You'll have to make maual adjustments in MFP for this. I've seen it done a lot of ways, but in the end, it will be whatever you find that motivates you best! I like to see what I have for my day in one shot, plan my meals accordingly, and then just push as hard as I can in each workout. On non workout days, I do my best to eat a little less than supposedly allowed with TDEE if I can.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    When I work out I generally try to burn off at least the number of calories from my last meal. What is your opinion on this?

The odds are very high that you are either over-estimating your exercise burn or under-estimating your food intake. I t fact the odds are better than 50:50 that you're doing both. It's not "you" - that's just the harsh reality of it - it's true for most people.

So if you are going to eat back specific exercises, do yourself a favour and be very, very conservative about the numbers until you've proven the numbers are too low by losing weight too fast.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating back until your net calories are at least at 1200, If you feel hungy though eat them all back. MFP calculates you at a calorie defecit already so not eating back exercise calories will put you at even a higher defecit which might not be healthy for you.

IMHO....

Dude is a 31 yr old male. He should be netting probably closer to 2200 calories.
  • TXgolfguy
    TXgolfguy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    OK I appreciate all the help, this is going to be difficult for me to change the habit and the mindset that less is better. I just get so obsessed with the number on the scale dropping. Like yesterday I knew something was wrong when I saw my net I knew it was too low I just couldn't see eating that many calories at 10 at night being more beneficial than not eating anything else.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    MFP already puts you at a deficit when it gives you their calorie goal based on your activity level, age, height, etcetera.

You can "eat back" those calories because you're still eating at deficit that will produce weight loss.

However, if you go by the TDEE method, which also takes into account your average exercise plus whatever you burn doing everyday things, don't eat your exercise calories back. You'd want to set a calorie goal that is TDEE minus 10 to 20% of that to create a small deficit.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    OK I appreciate all the help, this is going to be difficult for me to change the habit and the mindset that less is better. I just get so obsessed with the number on the scale dropping. Like yesterday I knew something was wrong when I saw my net I knew it was too low I just couldn't see eating that many calories at 10 at night being more beneficial than not eating anything else.

Your diary is closed, so.....

How many calories are we talking here? A good place to start when eating back exercise calories is 50-75%, and adjust from there. The issue with making the deficit too big is there is more of a risk of losing muscle mass, even with your lifting.
  • TXgolfguy
    TXgolfguy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to friends so feel free to add me.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine. Sometimes half of them.