ground venison

Options
Husband's boss just gave us a bunch of this, I have no idea what venison tastes like. Other than using it in place of regular ground beef.. any other ideas to use it? Thanks

Replies

• karmenjeff
    Options
    We harvest our own venison, so I have a lot to use up each year. If you haven't had it before, you might want to mix it half and half with ground beef. Then just use it in whatever you use ground beef for. I put it in chili, spaghetti, pasta dishes and casseroles. I have never just pattied venison and grilled them. I don't LOVE the flavor but I'm ok with it "in" things.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You are SO LUCKY! (and I am jealous!) I just used the last of my venison. :( Use it as you would ground beef. So much better for you! Much leaner than beef. If processed properly there should be no "gaminess." Enjoy!
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I like to soak mine in milk for a few hours before I use it, that gets rid of the gamey taste, so it ends up tasting almost exactly like beef, except leaner!
    Then you can use it for anything you would use ground beef for. I like hamburgers, meatballs, meatloaf, in stuffed peppers,
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I posted this awhile back relating to another post about venison:

I have almost my entire deer processed in ground. Here are a few things I have done recently with it:

Chili
    Goulash
    lasagna
    Sheppards Pie
    Burgers
    Meatballs
    Sloppy Joes
    Tacos
    Mealoaf

fortunately I got 2 deer this year so my freezer is nice a full. I haven't cooked my tenders yet, I usually just marinate and grill those. My roasts I make jerky out of
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Basically anything you would use ground beef for. If it's too gamey for you, mix it with ground beef. I did this at first when conditioning my wife to eat it.

Bacon Bomb, and Bacon grenades are awesome with venison.

Rigger
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    We were given a bunch of venison this year and the guy who gave it to me suggested grinding it with bacon since venison is super lean. It is amazing and makes the best meatloaf!
  • Focusedjessy
    Focusedjessy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Use it just like beef. If u make burgers you will have to add an egg or sometimes I add bacon grease.
  • marlea_0619
    marlea_0619 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh! I am SO jealous!
    Venison is super lean...and you really can't get more organic either!!!!
    I've been eating it as a substitute for ground beef for years. Honestly, I've never been able to taste any considerable difference between the two when it's ground.
    I will say that we eat the loins as well, and those do taste a little different.
    Enjoy!
  • tljackson14
    Options
    I have been using venison for years as my husband is a hunter. I agree with an earlier post that it is very organic and much leaner than beef. I use it just like ground beef but just add a little olive oil with it since it is lean and will not render any fat. If you use it for burgers I would suggest mixing a package of ranch mix and then wrapping in bacon. I use it in chili a lot as well.
  • Jjsharry
    Jjsharry Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you like Chili, that's a great place to start, as the spices can mask any gamey taste a little. Then, as has been said, move on to using it as per ground beef in just about any recipe. It is an awesome meat, if you ask me.