"It's all about you, boo boo"

Options
The best fitness advice I have received thus far was from a hobo at Lake Eola. I went for a run and was trying to switch playlists on my iPhone when a guy congratulated me on exercising. It was very odd but we chatted briefly about how you have to take responsibility for yourself. I think he meant in in a general "life" kind-of-way but it struck a chord, especially since he told me as I walked away, "it's all about you, boo boo!"

It was such a weird encounter that I thought about it while I ran and two scenarios came to mind:

1) A friend of mine wanted to join me with my trainer at the gym. It is a CrossFit-type setup and he wanted to get in shape but has made excuses the last 4 times. I asked about it and he said he was afraid of not being fit enough and didn't wanted to be judged. I've been there (and still feel it sometimes) but you just have to conquer fear and walk into a gym and look like a noob and workout. There is no other way.

I told him it can be awkward at first but ultimately we all start out as beginners and you will find judgey people even outside the gym. They will judge if you workout or if you don't so you may as well do what you need to do. Letting other people's opinions hold you back from an awesome life is a ****ty way to live.

2) Whenever I mention training, my dad always has always made a comment about it being too late, too cold, too far, too hot, etc. He has told me about people dying on runs and when I pulled my back lifting weights, he said it was probably time to look into other options. His advice isn't malicious and he is proud of what I accomplish. But he has never completed this journey so he doesn't know what it takes.

Be careful who you take advice from. Find someone who has completed the same journey you are on and ask advice from them. For the same reason I don't take money advice from someone deep in consumer debt is the same reason I choose fitness advice carefully. Even your fit best friend may not know how you should get in shape if she has never been "unfit". Use your friends and family for their love and support but figure out your game plan from someone who knows what is going to work best for you.

I wrote this post because most of us have no clue why we fail at getting fit. We are intimidated by complete strangers, because a few of them are judgey, and fail to start our journey or keep up with it. And if we we do take action, we get pummeled with a ton of contradictory advice. Maybe we start with eating healthy, exercising and getting enough sleep but before long we are doing high intensity cardio, taking fish oil supplements and eating 5 meals a day, every 2.5 hours so our muscles don't cannibalize our body...

That wise, homeless guy was right: this journey is about you and what actions you take.Take that first step and start your journey and once you do, gain momentum by sticking to the basics of what works: nutritious food, exercise and sleep. If you need a further explanation, ask someone whose opinion will actually benefit you. Take responsibility for your personal success because ultimately "It's all about you, boo boo"!

Replies

• loosinit42806
    loosinit42806 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    :) its all about you boo :_P
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options
    It's all about you, boo boo... love it!
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am so going to work that phrase in to a conversation today! I LOVE IT!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    It IS all about you boo boo! Great post :smooched:
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post! And spot on at that! There was a thread recently about someone who was quite a bit overweight and how she was afraid to go to the gym for fear of being judged. Myself, if I see someone who is very overweight at the gym, I want to pat them on the back. I want to congratulate them for doing something good for themselves and realizing "it's all about you, boo boo". My slogan is a bit more crass, so I might have to adopt this one!
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Great post!!!!
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I love this!
  • waltbran
    Options
    Love this!
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This is excellent!!! Truly a great post!!! I have a request....I am willing to bet there are many people on this board who could benefit from this well written post. Might I suggest you post it in a blog here on MFP for all to see?

Yes, original poster......"It's all about you, boo boo"
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I misread your title as, "It's all about you, boo-hoo", and expected a story about a really sarcastic hobo.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I misread your title as, "It's all about you, boo-hoo", and expected a story about a really sarcastic hobo.

Me too! Well, not the hobo part, but I did misread the title.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    great post and advice - thanks!
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Great post--and you are also a very good writer as well!
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • MNBardsley
    MNBardsley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @fitnh: Thanks for the kind words! I'm not as familiar with the social features on MFP but I think I have a blog set up here. Should I just post it there?
  • MNBardsley
    MNBardsley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @scottyg70: It is so hard to be overweight and walk into a gym where all the "fit people" hang out. I had gotten up to almost 300 lbs. and worked out at home using laundry detergent bottles as dumbbells specifically because I felt unworthy to be in a gym and ran my neighborhood at night so people didn't see how slow I went.

Kudos to you for being someone that helps others feel more comfortable. I don't go around the gym trying to give pick-me-ups but I try to at least smile and say hi to people who are in my proximity. Sometimes that can help someone come back a second time when they otherwise wouldn't. :)

@ Everyone: So glad others found value in this. A lot of my journey has been the emotional part so my girlfriend urged me to post some of my experiences so others could possibly get something out of it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Be careful who you take advice from. Find someone who has completed the same journey you are on and ask advice from them.

This is so huge. The "Getting Started" forum is full of people who keep failing looking for others in the same boat to "motivate" them. That's *kitten*-backwards - what they need is to be around people who are *succeeding*, not people who are repeat failures!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    this is a great post!
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    +1

Love it. Thanks for posting :)
  • Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Great post because it really is all about finding motivation in yourself for yourself.

I also agree with knowing who you should take advice from. For example, my husband has horrible mobility issues. He can't get deep enough in the squat due to lack of ankle and hip mobility, he can't get into correct starting form for deadlifts because of no mobility in his ankles. He has a lot of general problems due to lack of mobility and he gets frustrated when he feels like he can do something and he can't.
    As someone who has plenty of mobility, I have a hard time giving him advice and he wants me to develop a plan for him. I don't know what to do with him. :(

Also, you must be downtown. I used to run around that lake all the time when I lived there. I love Lake Eola and all of the art fixtures they've installed. :)