fruits and veggies are free

Options
I heard that with weight watchers fruit and veggies are free. I thought that meant I can eat all I want of fruit and veggies. My bigger dilemna is that I'm in the negative and haven't eaten dinner yet. I was going to go home and eat fruit and veggies. Is that a good plan?

Replies

• kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    That's great incentive to have a workout.
    Then you get a few hundred cals back and you can have one of these:

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/300-calorie-dinners-00412000076815/

300 calorie dinners are your friend :)
  • cassielynne72
    cassielynne72 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, on weight watchers produce is free of points. I lost 8# on weight watchers, so I know it works. I just make sure I have fruits and vegies with every meal. Since they are low calorie and they fill me up, I've been able to keep my calories in check. Enough so that I can even have a little chocolate or ice cream almost every day and still stay under or at my calorie goal.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If I eat 2-3 baby carrots I don't often log them. The spinach on my sandwich doesn't get logged. A couple of blackberries snuck out of the fridge don't get logged. But a meal made up entirely of fruits and veggies I would definitely log. They have calories too.

Weight watchers uses a different system from MFP and tends to set the calorie goals a little lower to accommodate the extra fruit and veg they want people to eat. I find that it's usually best not to mix two systems.

Sometimes we all go into the negative. It's okay and will barely cause a blip in your weight loss. Eat a sensible dinner and start fresh tomorrow. :flowerforyou:
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If I eat 2-3 baby carrots I don't often log them. The spinach on my sandwich doesn't get logged. A couple of blackberries snuck out of the fridge don't get logged. But a meal made up entirely of fruits and veggies I would definitely log. They have calories too.

Weight watchers uses a different system from MFP and tends to set the calorie goals a little lower to accommodate the extra fruit and veg they want people to eat. I find that it's usually best not to mix two systems.

Sometimes we all go into the negative. It's okay and will barely cause a blip in your weight loss. Eat a sensible dinner and start fresh tomorrow. :flowerforyou:

^^Agree
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Eat a huge salad with vinegar and a cup of soup. No processed carbs when you go over.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Calories can mount up very quickly from fruit, so my advice is to beware of what you are eating. Raw veggies are pretty low calorie. I always have raw carrots, celery, cucumbers and radishes prepped in the fridge for something to chew on. Works pretty well for me.
  • JenWhite4022
    JenWhite4022 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    not ALL veggies are points free on W.W. Peas and corn have a points value because they are higher in carbs. On the old system bananas had a point value and when I did W.W. I counted them because they are very high in sugar. Eat a lean protein and some steamed veggies for dinner and tomorrow eat a little less at each meal so you can have more at dinner. One day in the negative isn't going to kill you. And on W.W. you get those extra "fudge" points for hungry days or tempting stuff.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    This is not weight watcher, and you can easily fill your deficit by eating veggies and fruit. So they definitely count. But it's not the end of the world to go over once in a while.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I heard that with weight watchers fruit and veggies are free. I thought that meant I can eat all I want of fruit and veggies. My bigger dilemna is that I'm in the negative and haven't eaten dinner yet. I was going to go home and eat fruit and veggies. Is that a good plan?

WW =/= calorie counting. WW makes fruits and veggies "free" in order to get people to eat more of them...because they're nutritious as all hell and most people who SAD don't get nearly what they should be getting. However, they do this by offsetting those "free" points to other items...i.e. fruits and veg are free, but something else is going to cost you more in points than it truly costs in calories.

If you are counting calories there are no free foods...they all have calories.

Keep in mind that your calorie goal with MFP is already a huge deficit from your theoretical maintenance...even if you go over that number it is highly likely you are still in a deficit...just a smaller one.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Eat a huge salad with vinegar and a cup of soup. No processed carbs when you go over.
    So long as you log the calories, and don't beat yourself up for going over calories for the day.

Then again, you could have a hamburger and do the same thing.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    In your place, I'd eat a salad for dinner and not worry about it too much. We all have those days. The trend to green days is important; the occasional red day is necessary to my mental health.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    On weight watchers they are but they still have calories. A calorie is a calorie. There are lots that I don't log just because I'm lazy... Like lettuce I don't log. Tomatoes I usually don't. Garlic, onion... Calories are so few that I just don't care enough to log them.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Bananas and avocados and watermelons all have a lot of calories so you can easily go over your goal eating those.

I go over on my calories more often than not. I think of my calorie goal as a general rule not a maximum
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I've heard that about the WW system. But I feel if it wasn't necessary to count fruits and veggies on a real-life daily lifestyle, there would be no overweight vegans. You just have to be aware of those that really are high-cal items, such as avocados as mentioned before, high sugar fruits like bananas or starchy vegetables like potatoes. I count everything in MFP. I've never done weight watchers. I think it just depends on what works best for you. If loading up your meals with fresh fruit and veggies is working for you, then by all means stick to it. It sounds like an encouraging system.