How do I avoid eating mum's cooking??

Options
I couldn't think of a title!
But let me explain;
I come from an asian family and it's hard to eat healthy when mum always has rice and curry for lunch and dinner. The curry isn't so much the issue because there's a lot of proteins from chicken and fish and there's veggies too BUT it's the rice. We used to eat brown rice but my parents decided to switch to white because friends and relatives started saying it caused their sugar levels to go high or diabetes- I have no clue.

Either way, I'm stuck having to eat rice. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I can get away with not eating it but my mum thinks that I'll starve if I don't eat rice (Please don't ask).

What can I do about this?

Also, another thing which I find really unhelpful are my siblings. My mum in general is quite supportive (Bar the whole rice thing) but it's like whenever I buy some healthy snack bars or make something, they tend to finish it really quickly and I'm left with something that should've lasted me the week to barely lasting me the next day.

Any tips or ideas of how to deal with eating healthy at home around family and such? Thanks!

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Why avoid eating the rice?

Is it the calories? Try taking a much smaller portion of rice - see if taking just a spoonful or two will satisfy your mom.

If you really don't want to have any, then you should ask your mom to make less because you don't really want the rice and don't want to waste it. If it bothers her all that much, then you need to decide if you want to (politely and respectfully) stick to your guns or not.

You can always take less curry to allow for the rice if you want to keep your mom happy.
  • Richard_101
    Options
    Ive substituted brown rice for potatoes in my diet and since then Ive started weighing out my portions.
    I was really surprised at how much rice you get for 200g (cooked weight) and thats about 350 cals.
    Like the above posted said you could still eat enough without going over the top

....I remember my chilli days where I had a massive pile of white rice with a hole in the middle for the chilli..... those days have gone :(
  • needtogetfitxo
    Options
    It's more of the calories yep. And the carbs because white rice isn't a good carb. I guess, I could try smaller portions, thanks! But doesn't a cup of rice amount to 200g or more? According to the myfitnesspal stats, I should have around 200g of carbs a day!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    yup smaller portions I guess and find a place to hide the goodies you make for yourself or make your family help make more when they all mysteriously disappear!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    White rice is perfectly find to consume. Rice is bad is a popular platform that's morphed over the last decade of so along with sugar, meat, grains, diary, simple carbs, fructose etc are other popular ones as well. Dissecting nutrition generally makes peoples brains fall out.:happy:
  • needtogetfitxo
    Options
    Yeah I didn't realise that there was so much more to healthy/clean eating that I originally thought!
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I would hide the snacks in my room or someplace where they wouldn't look. I would just eat smaller portion of the rice or find a better replacement for it.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Learn how to cook, and help with the cooking, that way you can introduce new dishes. Start my offering to make. A salad side dish, or healthy dessert.

Or you can do what i did,
    Become a vegetarian and cook all your own food seperatly.( though i did it cos my mums cooking tastes gross.)
  • Carol_Magee
    Carol_Magee Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    In my house, if I have something I don't want anybody else to eat, I put it in a contaiiner and mark it "Diet". I seems to deter people.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It's not the rice that's bad....it's the portion size of the rice. Just stay within your calorie goal and you will be fine! As far as your siblings eating your snacks....I'd hide the food in your room!