Quick question on calories burned vs pounds lost

Options
Hi there,
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but my goal is to burn 2 pounds a week. That's how many I can do by staying healthy.
I have read that 3500 calories is one pound. So obviously 7000 calories would be 2 pounds.
Does this mean, if I burn 7000 calories in one week, and stay under my calorie intake goal (1200). I will lose two pounds?
Or do I have to include my calorie intake to that as well?
Thanks!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates a goal for you already including the deficit you need to lose weight. It doesn't take exercise into account and in fact will add calories to your goal once you log your exercise. When you exercise you create a larger deficit, possibly larger than your body can handle.

If you want you can find your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). This is roughly how many calories your body burns in a day and the number of calories you'd need to eat to maintain your current weight. This is the number you want to take your deficit from. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You will have to NET (cals consumed minus cals burned) 7,000 cals per week less than you currently NET to lose approximately 2 lbs/week. Sadly, don't be surprised if that "3500 cal deficit equals 1 lb loss" math doesn't work out so perfectly in real life. We don't lose weight quite that linearly. (Not trying to be a killjoy or anything.) So yes, your current caloric intake absolutely matters!

Edited to add the following:
    Let's say your TDEE (sedentary) is 1700 cals/day just to maintain your current weight (I'm just guessing here). That's 11900 cals/week. As long as your NET (cals in - cals burned) intake for the week is 7000 less than that (11900-7000 = 4900 cals/week or 700 cals/day), then *theoretically* you could lose 2 lbs/wk... *but* you'd be really miserable (700 net is crazy low). That kind of deficit is tough on the body, but also greatly increases the likelihood of failure. I wouldn't want you to be miserable and quit. I recommend making a more sensible, attainable goal like 1 to 1.5 lb/week. You'd be happier and much more successful in the long run.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You burn calories 24/7...the vast majority of your calorie requirements come from just being alive...then you have your calories required to perform you day to day functions...cleaning, cooking, going to work, walking around, driving the car, shopping, etc....finally you have your exercise burn which is what so many people want to obsess about when in reality it represents very little in the way of your body's calorie requirements. I will use my number as an example...

To maintain my weight with doing deliberate exercise whatsoever I need about 2350 calories daily. To lose 1 Lb per week I would simply eat 1850 calories...500 calories less per day which would equate to 3500 calories over the course of the week. This is with NO exercise whatsoever. Exercise changes the equation.

With my exercise, I maintain on roughly 2700 - 2800 calories...meaning that to lose that same one pound above I can now eat 2200 - 2300 calories per day and still maintain that same 500 calorie per day deficit because I've increased my body's calorie requirements through exercise.

Also, you rate of loss is greatly dependent on how much you have to lose. If you are not very overweight or obese, you really can't sustain a 2 Lb per week (7000 calorie per week) deficit...you have to be pretty large to really sustain that in a safe and healthy manner.

Note that MFP's 1200 calorie goal is already a massive deficit from your theoretical maintenance based on whatever inputs you did when you set your profile up. You should most definitely not eat under that...doing so can ultimately result in malnourishment issues.
  • MeeshAshley
    MeeshAshley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tried once to eat under 1200, and I found it definitely wasn't healthy, so I generally stay close to it.
    I'm not obese or anything, I would just like to get my toned look back. From what you said it's going to take a lot longer than I had thought.
    Thank you! This was most helpful
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

You're the only one who mentioned anything about starvation mode. Starvation mode is the most stupid **** I've ever heard of...but that doesn't mean that VLCD are safe or healthy. If you don't have the fat stores of an obese individual, you cannot safely sustain huge calorie deficits. Without the fat stores guess what you burn...muscle...sounds really healthy doesn't it?...and quite the opposite of looking "toned"...hard to look "toned" when your body is consuming your muscle mass. Then of course, there are just the basic functions that get shut down in order to make your body more efficient to deal with your calorie intake...things like growing hair (plenty of "HALP...my hair is falling out posts here on MFP"...losing the good old period...nails turning brittle, etc. Oh...the awesomeness of malnutrition.

As I also stated, it depends on how much BF you have....obese individuals have massive fat stores and can deal with larger deficits because of them...relatively lean individuals cannot.

OP...I personally would eat at a modest deficit and start doing some resistance work and re-comping. Resistance work is the only thin that is going to tighten you up and re-comp takes a lot of time...despite clever advertising like "get ripped in 30 days", etc...it takes a really long time. A fitness body is achieved by living a nutritionally driven fitness lifestyle...not eating as little as possible and doing hours and hours of cardio.
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

You're the only one who mentioned anything about starvation mode. Starvation mode is the most stupid **** I've ever heard of...but that doesn't mean that VLCD are safe or healthy. If you don't have the fat stores of an obese individual, you cannot safely sustain huge calorie deficits. Without the fat stores guess what you burn...muscle...sounds really healthy doesn't it?...and quite the opposite of looking "toned"...hard to look "toned" when your body is consuming your muscle mass. Then of course, there are just the basic functions that get shut down in order to make your body more efficient to deal with your calorie intake...things like growing hair (plenty of "HALP...my hair is falling out posts here on MFP"...losing the good old period...nails turning brittle, etc. Oh...the awesomeness of malnutrition.

As I also stated, it depends on how much BF you have....obese individuals have massive fat stores and can deal with larger deficits because of them...relatively lean individuals cannot.

OP...I personally would eat at a modest deficit and start doing some resistance work and re-comping. Resistance work is the only thin that is going to tighten you up and re-comp takes a lot of time...despite clever advertising like "get ripped in 30 days", etc...it takes a really long time. A fitness body is achieved by living a nutritionally driven fitness lifestyle...not eating as little as possible and doing hours and hours of cardio.

I was simply trying to state that 1200 isn't the "magic number" that you have to stay above. It is different for everyone. People will still continue to lose if they go below it. Starvation mode is talked about on here daily. Its a crock.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" is junk science, but the myth keeps people from attempting a DIY-style VLCD diet when they really shouldn't. If the myth of "starvation mode" keeps people from dieting themselves into a long-term semi-starvation state (and developing the myriad health problems that result), then let them embrace the myth. Frankly, I think it needs to be renamed "imminent failure" mode (much closer to the truth).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but my goal is to burn 2 pounds a week. That's how many I can do by staying healthy.
    I have read that 3500 calories is one pound. So obviously 7000 calories would be 2 pounds.
    Does this mean, if I burn 7000 calories in one week, and stay under my calorie intake goal (1200). I will lose two pounds?
    Thanks!

A TOTAL 1,000 calorie a day deficit is what you should be shooting for for 2 pounds a week weight loss. This can come from eating less and/or exercise.

Some people eat less and do zero exercise.....some people do a combination.....eat 500 less & exercise for 500.

This deficit comes from your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).....your body is using calories 24/7. It's important to give your heart, lungs, kidneys.....ect enough nourishment to do their jobs.

It's because of this basic bodily function requirement that not everyone should shoot for a 2 pound a week loss. People who are close to goal (withing 15 pounds) ....should have a weight loss goal of 1/2 pound per week. This is because without enough nourishment, your body will have to choose.....heart or lean muscle......kidneys or lean muscle......your body will choose your heart, kidneys, etc......and you lose muscle+fat....instead of just fat.
  • MeeshAshley
    MeeshAshley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    Thanks!

A TOTAL 1,000 calorie a day deficit is what you should be shooting for for 2 pounds a week weight loss. This can come from eating less and/or exercise.

A 1000 calories a day is far too little for me though. 1200 is less than half of what I used to do... it wouldn't be healthy to go any further.